BMW Reviews & Ratings

Read real experiences from BMW owners like you.

BMW Ratings Overview
722 car owners like you reviewed their BMW. The average rating is a 4.0 out of 5.
BMW
Displaying 1 - 30 of 722 reviewsFilter
By on 9/19/18 | Richmond, VA | Car Owner
This is the most beautiful mistake you will ever make. Around the time this car came out, it was all that, and it still doesn't look like it's almost 15 years old. This car cost me so much money and time. BMW parts are already expensive, but they're super expensive when it's electrical or transmission related. This car would shit black smoke out the exhausts when accelerating. The lights on the dashboard and the overhead lights would flicker the whole time the car was on. While driving at any random time it decided to do this, it would reduce its speed to 25 mph and not go over that until you stop the car, turn it off, then back on. Many other stories I have that this car put me through. And because of that car, I will forever be afraid to purchase a BMW.
By on 8/29/18 | Raleigh, NC | Car Owner
I have always loved the big 750LI, but having a Lexus LS430 with over 210K and NEVER any problem outside of routine maintenance I was worried sick when I basically made an impulse buy of the 2008 750LI 4.8 BMW. At the time it had just crossed 100K. It had one owner, and the seller had the service history (and so did I by asking for the VIN before I drove it). Nothing major, but right before I bought the car the thieving BMW dealership had done the 90K service except they really just replaced the brake pads...even though they charged the previous owner for new rotors, pads, calipers, and other items that were on the the car when he took it to them. My mechanic able to prove this obtained new parts which I picked up from BMW. All was well, but the scare made me research sites like this and learn as much as I could about how to protect my car. I heard horror stories of oil burning in under 1K. USE THE BEST GAS AND OIL. Because the BMW is turbo I ALWAYS let it cool off.Hope this helps
By on 8/14/18 | Grayslake, IL | Car Owner
No major issues. In fact In my years of owning.this vehicle all major issues were caused by bad mechanics breaking things. Like cracking my valve cover through over tightening the bolt. On another occasion, while performing a oil change the service technician pinched my thermostat sensor creating a no-start situation.
By on 8/10/18 | Boca Raton, FL | Car Owner
Don't buy a bmw unless you're want problems. There extremely unreliable. Junk
By on 7/20/18 | Tallahassee, FL | Car Owner
DON"T BUY BMW , BULL-SHIT MOTOR WORKS, THESE CARS ARE VERY POORLY DESIGNED, OVERLY COMPLICATED, MATTER OFF FACT COMPLICATED WITH AN IDEA TO BRING THE CUSTOMER BACK TO DEALER TO STEAL MONEY AGAIN AND AGAIN.. WHEN YOU PAY SO MUCH MONEY ON THESE CARS, YOU WILL THINK THAT THEY LAST A LONG TIME, BUT THESE CARS START GIVING YOU PROBLEMS FROM 20,000 MILES. BULL-SHIT MOTOR WORKS GIVES CUSTOMERS WARRANTY UPTO 50,000 MILES AFTER THAT YOU WILL NEVER SLEEP. THIS SHIT WILL START LEAKING FROM THE BOTTOM. ONCE THERE IS A LEAK, YOU CANT GET IT FIX IT OUTSIDE THE STEALERSHIP, BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE HAVE THE EQUIPMENT THAT CAN HOLD THIS SHIP, EVERY ISSUE NEEDS A LOT OF LABOR. FOR EXAMPLE VALVE COVER, PARTS ARE VERY CHEAP, OIL PAN GASKET BUT THE MONEY ON LABOR IS ATLEAST 1000 DOLLARS. CUSTOMER WILL END UP PAYING ALOT FOR THE INCOMPITENTLY DESIGNED PIECE OF SHIT.
BMW BULL-SHIT MOTOR WORKS
By on 6/6/18 | Bowling Green, KY | Car Owner
Reliability Rating: (4/5)
Above Average
Good so far
By on 3/3/18 | Dallas, TX | Car Owner
This is my first BMW - and knew they had a reputation of requiring fairly expensive maintenance - after all it is a "high performance" vehicle. My 328i had exceptionally low mileage (14k) on it when I purchased it in early 2014 - and just recently had a new Valve Cover Gasket and Seals along with new Oil Filter Housing Seals replaced at 50,000 miles. (circa $ 1,500) This is a very typical repair on these typically done around 60 to 70k miles - but the rubber components and seals wore out due to my vehicle age more than my actual mileage. But that's the first and only "major" repair I've had to have on a vehicle that is now 10 years old ! It's a "tight" car - that handles and performs beautifully on the road and I thoroughly enjoy driving it. You should reasonably expect to budget and spend anywhere from $ 1000 to $ 1500 /year (out of warranty) to keep this performance vehicle properly maintained.
By on 2/21/18 | Greenwood, IN | Car Owner
Don't by this car at any price............it does not run properly regardless of the love or money you put into it....!
By on 11/28/17 | Elmhurst, IL
I've just read all of the reviews that people have posted on the BMW X5. I'm on my fourth X5 and I must be the luckiest person int the world. I've purchased them brand new and used. The one I currently have is an '04 which had 163K miles on it when I purchased it 2 1/2 years ago, and it now has 185K miles on it.Since i purchased it, I've put on new tires, battery, windshield wipers, changed the oil, and had the AC recharged.
All of them have been the 3.0 model for 2 reasons; 1) the transmission that they have installed gives you plenty of acceleration with a 6 cylinder, and 2) every mechanic I have spoken to has told me NEVER to buy the 8 cylinder model used because the engine develops more torque than the transmission can handle for a vehicle that weighs almost 2.5 tons, which when beat on as many people think it's a sport SUV, will be inclined to do which results in transmission issues.
Another suggestion I have is that in this day and age, once your vehicle is off warranty, virtually any repair shop has the ability to work on these vehicles for a majority of maintenance issues. I would avoid going to the BMW dealer at all costs. I had a front blinker light go out, and the dealer wanted $300 to replace it, but when I took it to NTB, they charged me $5 to replace it when I had the tires replaced.
You can purchase a diagnostic device call Blue Driver for $99 that will be able to function as good if not better than most equipment that mechanics have. I had issues passing my emissions test in IL, I took it to a mechanic and he told me to take it to the dealer because his equipment couldn't sort it out. I took a chance and spent the $99. You plug it in to your emissions OB2 and install the software on your phone. It will give you the possible issues that you are dealing with in order of commonalty. It turned out that all I needed was a new air filter, and I passed my emissions test. It will also reset all of the service indicators once you have corrected them.
Another suggestion is to source your own parts on Amazon or Ebay. I can get an OEM set of rotors and brake pads made in the US for under $250 (all 4 wheels) and have the mechanic install them if they are legit, because they aren't concerned about hitting a home run off of you for parts. If you purchase one of these without a pre-inspection or a good Carmax record, you only have yourself to blame.
By on 5/19/17 | Elk Grove, CA
Update to previous review over a year ago. Car was purchased with 58,100 miles, not 581. Now has 72,000. Recent maintenance included upper & lower oil pan seal replacement (small leak in upper), front thrust rod bushings replacement (worn), and differential housing support replacement (cracked) -- total cost about $3,000, but covered by my aftermarket extended warranty.
Car continues to impress with power, speed and comfort features. Sure is a good road car. Would be hard to downgrade to a "common" car like a Honda or Toyota.
Suspension seems to wallow/roll sometimes in rear. This 2009 750i was an early model and had air dampers, which are unimpressive IMO. Going to Sport+ and back to Normal seems to help for some reason --??
Depreciation has been way excessive. KBB trade-in is now listed at 16k -- price of a used Civic! Ridiculous.
Only 16 months left on extended warranty -- hope whatever's going to break does it before then.
By on 1/30/17 | Wernersville, PA
I had this car for exactly one month. It was my first car, I was a very new driver, and it is certainly not a car someone who is new to driving should have. It far overpowered my abilities as a new driver. I would recommend that only experienced drivers use this vehicle. The brakes were spongy, despite being performance brakes, and this made me exceptionally uncomfortable. I really had to slam on the brakes in order to get the car to stop.

I am writing this review mostly so that I can inform others of the safety features this car offers. I totaled this car by running it straight in to a tree at around 40 mph. I came out of the accident completely unscathed. I had burns from the air bag on my arms, and a mild concussion, but otherwise I was perfectly okay. I can say confidently that I may be dead right now had I been driving another car. This car did its job extremely well, and it kept me safe even in a very serious head on collision. If you are looking for a safe vehicle, this is the one for you!
By on 11/13/16 | Casper, WY
Have had my 2007 X5 4.8 for over a year, bought it as a replacement for my BMW 330CI. Have been completely satisfied with the car, plenty of power, good on the highway, responsive braking, all around good vehicle. I did replace the rear air springs as the passenger side was deflating when sitting for extended periods, about $340 in parts and repairs were done at a local garage for another $300. BMW has a very specific list of services that have to be performed at predetermined intervals, such as, changing the brake fluid, the engine coolant, the transmission fluid, and so on, the diagnostic system that comes with the car keeps you informed on what service is required and when. As a buyer it is imperative that you remember, you are buying a 9 year old vehicle, and your going to get some problems that occur with age, if you want one that requires little to no maintenance, buy a new one at 5 times the cost of a used 2007.
By on 7/16/16 | Dunkirk, NY
Hi all. Bought my first 2000 BMW 323i w/ the sports package back in November. Great car for a 3 series. After doing a ton of research on them, I found repairs can get costly.
I bought a brand new cooling system over hull kit for under $500. Comes with everything you need.
Upgraded brakes. Bought stainless steel braided brake line hoses and loaded calipers.
Cost around $1000
Wheel bearing, so far only one. Getting the kit from the dealership is the best thing to do. Under $80 and comes w/ everything needed to do a proper replacement.
Window regulator. Common part to go w/o earning. Cost around $115.
I upgraded the air filter to a K&N to help get better fuel economy. Cost around $45
The car is fun, but I feel the steering is over sensitive. Having the sports package is nice, but expect certain parts to average anywhere from 2 - 4x more then the base package. Over all, looking forward to getting a 5 series or M series next.
By on 5/6/16 | Trujillo Alto, PR
the front seat heating system keeps, overheating other than that I haven't had any major nor minor problems with it.
the only down fault is that the vin number doesn't seem to show up in the American system, since I bought it while on active duty in Germany . I'm now retired and it was very hard for me to get any warranty work on it.
nice car, very comfortable and reliable.
I may had missed a few recalls , if anybody can tell me how to go back and have that check out even-though the bin number doesn't appears in the American system please let me know. thank you.
By on 3/21/16 | Philadelphia, PA
I absolutely loved my X5 at first. You couldn't tell me nothing. I thought I was the $HIT!!!
I brought my X5 about 3 years ago. the first year I had it everything was awesome. Then here comes the problems. It started with the air suspensions. Got them fixed at the dealer. $3000. Next it needed a module...Whatever that is. Another $1200. It drove ok for awhile then I was getting a 6 cyclinder misfire. I got a tune up and a diagnostic and car drove fine for another 6 months. Now check engine light came on and the fan started to run on high speed as soon as you turn the car on at a cold start. The claim my water pump and thermostat went. Got that fixed $2200. Now my check engine light is back on and I smell oil. Guess what now. Oil cooling unit and housing filter is leaking oil. That will be another $1200 also they claim I need a new valve cover gasket. $2000. WTF!!! Like really BMW get yall $hit together. We pay all this money for these damn cars and yall cant accommodate us and do a better job in building these cars??? I give up. Im trading my car in for a Audi A8.
By on 1/20/16 | North Billerica, MA
Drive a 98 Boxster. Got it at 120k miles and done only 10k yet.
Love this thing to bits. Why on earth I had to wait 'till my fifties, heaven only knows. This is my 37th vehicle. Life was not fair, taking care of wife and kids. So many times I had to sell my beauties to raise a family. I enjoy every minute, driving my Boxster. Even if I don't have to, I'll think up an excuse to just go nowhere. Sometimes very early on weekend mornings I have the tar to myself. Fuel consumption is just fantastic. Whenever I invited any of my kids, none ever refused. I take care of it fanatically and it is just a pleasure. (My wife said she wants to be my Porsche in her next life). I said that's fine I'll just stiffen her suspension a little. I'll also keeps my darling Z3. With 300 000 miles, all I can say another little German underrated master piece. The guy who sold the Porsche to made me promise to sell it back to him. So every now and then I promise my kids, I'll never sell "Snowhite" Thanks to Google and the Porsche websites, all minor issues can be personally taken care of. I spoil my sons every now and then by swopping their 4 door saloons for my car(s). They always jumped at these opportunities and always arrive taller than they left. All I can say to a youngster, privileged to start their careers in a Porsche is whenever you start with a family, sell the toddler but retain your Boxster!
By on 11/1/15 | Woodside, NY
Bought this car 5 months ago with 89k miles on it. Now has almost 94k miles. This car drives amazing, and driving became such an enjoyable thing ever since I had it. Maintenance and repair cost are pretty expensive. I have changed alternator and drive belt for $1k, changed blower motor (~$150) by myself, installed LED angel eyes by myself, throughly cleaned intake manifold + changed intake manifold gaskets + replaced MAF sensor + replaced all spark plugs by a repair shop (cost me another grand), replaced oil filter housing gasket ($15) by myself. The front brake pads and rotors are also at the end of their lives. Owning this car with 100k miles is really not a cheap thing to do. All these issues are common but they are ridiculously expensive to fix, and that's why I started to do the job by myself. In a word, I haven't regretted buying this car yet. It looks like a dream and it drives like a dream. MPG after cleaning intake manifold and replacing MAF sensor is much better than before. I'm getting around 25 in mixed driving.
By on 10/23/15 | Watertown, CT
Purchased a 2001 540I 6sp Manual w/Sports Suspension in 09. Car had 128,000. It now has 191,000. It's the 2nd best car I've ever owned. My best was an 89 BMW 535I 5 speed manual. The car is a blast to drive. Would NEVER own a BMW without a true manual transmission. Corners like a dream and the ride is as smooth as silk. It's the closest thing to owning an M5. The only difference is the 100 extra horses under the hood. This car has all the power you'll ever need.
Since owning I've installed Bilsteins, front & rear suspension components, and had the timing chain guides done. At 150K if you do not replace the timing chain guides on a 4liter V-8, you might as well be playing "Russian Roulette". It's the one fatal flaw with
with this particular engine. If the plastic guide fails and the timing chain skips a tooth, kiss the car goodbye.

Also pay attention to the cooling system. It's a wise idea to replace the water pump w/a metal impeller. Why BMW continues to use plastic ones is beyond my comprehension. A new radiator, expansion tank & hoses are also recommended. Since the days of my old 72 Bavaria, BMW has always had issues with cooling. Besides these idiosyncrasies the car is top notch.
By on 10/18/15 | Green Valley, AZ
Just purchased the car used with 90,000 miles and it looked very well taken care of but noticed some oil on the engine. I mentioned it to the salesman and he had a B.S. excuse but I already see more oil. Then I came here and saw all of the leaking oil issues. I am still in warranty so hope I can get it fixed. I really like the car except for that issue.
By on 10/7/15 | Oviedo, FL
So glad I purchased extended warranty. Car has recently been glitchy ... can't gradually press accelerator and proceed ... there's a lag ... "is this car ever going to move?!" ... then it TAKES OFF! Makes in-city driving/suburban driving VERY difficult and not much fun, I must say. Highway driving, curvy roads, GREAT FUN and fantastic handling! But this engine lag from a stop is BS! It's at the dealer now and heard yesterday BMW has approved the replacement of both turbos. Will this help? I have no idea. But I'm about OVER IT! Already looking a new cars ... not BMWs. But nothing has met my high expectations in terms of comfort, amenities, and ride. The search will continue, but I'm hoping when I get my car back, this particular problem has been remedied!
By on 10/1/15 | Little Elm, TX
Bought this as a used car. It has been a nightmare of repairs, even parts that have been changed out they break again. Save your money and do not buy a used 325i.
By on 9/30/15 | Florissant, MO
front end suspension wear-out tires. cool morning low tire pressure light comes on. battery have early warning senor .
By on 9/10/15 | Wilson, NC
sorry dam car I ever own troble troble it got to go it made to f u all that money u pay for it u pay for it again if u keep it nice body all u get an repair bills
By on 7/20/15 | Mount Vernon, NY
need a real low cost to rebuilt my motor on my 1998 bmw740il i got a v8 4.4engine i need it rebuilt for a low cost how much
By on 8/31/15 | San Leandro, CA
These are good cars...until they aren't. I bought mine in 2013. Drove great for a several months. Then the transmission blew. Apparently this is an incredibly common problem on the automatic transmission version. An auto transmission blowing at under 150,000 miles with a $5,000+ price tag for a rebuilt? There is no used luxury car worth this expense of trouble. I will never buy another used BMW again. These cars are nice but not necessarily durable. Your mileage (and luck) may vary.
By on 7/27/15 | Myrtle Beach, SC
Reliability Rating: (4/5)
Above Average
Done 11000 miles since purchase - General performance is OK - I like the MPG at 28-32 on a two way round trip of 32 miles.
Don't Likes: Very noisy interior on most roads - Seems like the tires need to be changed for a smoother and quieter ride. This is an annoying problem and or design flaw. Would this car benefit from a better sound deadening material to be installed?
Cannot say much for the Sound system when playing CD's - BMW needs to stop putting unnamed 'cheap' / 'nasty' loud speakers in their cars regardless of price points.
By on 7/23/15 | Hollywood, FL
New to the beamer world but familiar with sports cars. The best car I ever had.
By on 7/8/15 | Elk Grove, CA
Only had it for 1,000 miles, purchased used w/ 58l miles. Car seems to be in excellent condition. CONS: I've experienced the common accelerator tip-in problem -- can't give it the pedal slowly, just seems to balk -- more pedal & then the turbos kick in & you zoom off. Brakes are extra touchy at in-town speeds, but excellent at high speed. An great cruising auto on the highway, but gas hog in town, more like 12-13 mpg than 15. Happy with it so far, but a little concerned about all the maintenance I've read that others have had to do. We'll see! Could turn out to be a foolish decision buying a 6 year old BMW with so many systems . . .but I'm optimistic.
By on 6/11/15 | Mission Viejo, CA
Expensive to own and maintain. BMW can NOT build an interior that holds together to save its corporate life. Can't drive the car past the repair place without leaving it there for a couple of days and writing a check for $1,000+. Have owned three and this is the story on used BMWs. If you think you're smart about money don't get a used BMW. It will bleed you dry. The trick with BMWs is to buy NEW, then get rid of the car after two or three years before the problems start and the car gets expensive to own.
By on 5/31/15 | Flemington, NJ
This car is an absolute nightmare of repairs. You constantly fear something is going to go wrong. Not worth the logo. Thousands of dollars in repairs from putting on under 15k.
BMW Reviews by Model