Toyota Reviews and Owner Comments

Toyota owners review and rate their Toyota.

Toyota (1203 Reviews)
Overall
I love my Toyota Prius as a college student who is always on the go. I need a car to keep up with me. I only had a few issues with my car so far.The A/C stop blowing out cold which cost a lot of money to replace. The light bulb on the car went out few months ago cost only 7 bucks to replace.
Bought my 07 with 38,000 mi just turned 190,000 got to say it has been a great truck, although some of these issues i am reading about has happened to me. think sheet metal is a little weak on body and inside has had some stuff fall apart .But this truck has never left me stranded and i do use it for work and hunting.
I bought the 2002 Highlander Limited used with 52,000 miles. The best vehicle that I have ever owned. I had the transmission rebuilt at 212,000 and just replaced both knock sensors at 223,500 miles. Can you say 300,000 miles?? I sure hope so!!
My 2001 Toyota Avalon (purchased new) is fantastic. I have 340,000km (212k miles) and just purchased new Toyo tires Versado Noir and now rides brand new - maybe even better if you can believe it. Tire install felt like having new shock absorbers. I had very little maintenance except making some minor rust repairs as I live in Canada (sorry signed in from NY state to get on site). It rides great and expect more years of great ride (hence new tire buy).

Some minor glitches over years were dealt with but overall I am super satisfied. I did do timing belt at 150k, changed oil/filter regularly. Did not do scheduled maintenance. Replaced strut arm in rear and 1 tire bearing (noisy), that's about it over the brake/tire maintenance over last 16 years.

I see an Avalon post with over 500k km. Wow, even though it cost a pretty penny when I bought it in 2001 it was well worth it. It rides like a Lexus (in fact has Lexus motor, etc) and in the comparable Lexus model/same size was in G class. So all in all super happy!

Hello (after my post),
I submit a few "glitches" I dealt with. Maybe it can help other Avalon owners.

Glitch 1
I was annoyed that after car was turned off, all doors (except driver) remained shut. I saw a post on how to disable the auto shut. It is about a 1 minute procedure with turning key and a few buttons in sequence. It works except when battery is disconnected again it reverts to same old, so may have to do number of times. I keep the instructions handy and this procedure (at dealer if they know how and maybe costing hundreds) is great.

Glitch 2,
3 or 4 times my car did not start or lights were blinking internally. Simple fix: ensure battery terminals are well connected. It loosens after a few years. Again, dealer scratched their head, but simple positive battery reconnect worked.

Glitch 3,
I found rear strut assembly kept sounding clunky after 10 years. Get the right pieces from a reliable service person and replace to make solid.

Glitch 4,
After 12 years, noticed car was sluggish or did not start right off. Clean carburetor for any sludge build-up. 100 buck should do it. Do not get dealer to tell you you need new expensive spark plugs (6 or so -and very expensive). Also at 340k started to use occasional super gas to help clean injectors . maybe even that small bottle of engine cleaner in full gas tank helps. Car now purrs like a kitten.

Positive 1
New right tires make car work great and super quiet. No need for new shock absorbers, etc.

Positive 2
Car uses 8.7 litres / 100 km highway after 16 years. Better than original specs. Amazing!

Positive 3
No need to change anything ,refer to glitches.

Positive 4.
I am perplexed some people complain about minor stuff. Understand if it is major but you get what you pay for, how you drive and maintain car. Maybe with other brands they would be less complaining. You can never please all the people all the time.

Happy driving.

John
To all Solara owners with cracking and sticky dashboards and interior pieces: Toyota had a recall for replacement at no cost for
dashboard and interior that was cracking or sticky. I had my dashboard in my 2007 Solara replaced at no cost to me....Sorry I don't
have the recall details but it may be worth checking on. New dashboard looks great.
I bought a used 1993 Toyota Deluxe 4x4 with the 22R-E for my son, it had 171k on the clock. My son drove it until he went off to college and took my 1997 4Runner Limited with him.

I didn't mind the switch because I liked the little beast...It was a south of the rust belt truck, as it had no rusted chassis and few if any body spots. I just finished doing the timing chain, because of a failed plastic guide. While the engine was unbuttoned I did the oil and water pump as well, new cover gasket, oil pan and every component on the front steering, including pitman, idler and shocks, just because I was there and noticed all the stock components rubber was cracked and leaking grease. Now that it is all done, it runs even better than before, it's my favorite truck, simple to fix, strong durable engine for its size, great suspension, economical and reliable. I am not a mechanic, but this truck is easy to figure out. Only wish Toyota would bring a new version, but keep it simple, without all the electronics and with a beefed up 22-R-E
Bought my Camry to replace my 2006 Sonata and I realized I should have brought a Camry back in 2006 instead of the Sonata. I'll stop back and give my reliable report in 2 or 3 years. Too early to tell now.
i have not bought this car yet but i had some questions first the brak light stays on i havent checked the level yet but the brakes worked fine also the airbag light was on and the turn signals did not work havent checked the bulbs or relay
Bought my 1997 American Edition V6 XLE new, now 250,000 plus miles later still going strong, although I have had to some unusual repairs lately. Motor mounts, Steering rack, sway bar, Struts & Springs all around, on my third set (4) of rotors, Valve Covers. And now my dash board lights are completely out, along with the Sun Visor which I haven't been able to find a replacement yet.
This is my 3rd Toyota, (1 truck and 2 corollas) It just keeps going. I got a great deal on this in 2010 because of all the hoopla going on about the recall on gas pedal. I never had any of the "recalls" repaired. I bought it with 44K on it from a private owner who took care of it.

Now it has 130K. I've only replaced brakes once. (It's an automatic but I downshift a lot before braking) Replaced the serpentine belt once just out of precaution. Replaced the original battery in Nov of 2015 and only did so because wow, that's a long time and didn't want to get stuck in the winter.

I had to replace part of the exhaust around 90K including the muffler. My light on the shifter showing drive, reverse etc went out at about 100K. That's it! Love this car and will be looking for another pre-owned Corolla within the next two years.
I have a 2001 Sequoia SR5. I recently have the problem of my car burning gas extremely fast. The more gas I put the quicker it goes. The least gas I put the longer it last. But I hate the frequent gas stops but dont want to literally burn my money putting more gas. Any suggestion on a fix. Spark plugs have been changed. Put new gas cap. Love the car but is draining me with gas.
In a word, wow!! I can't believe the funds are in my account already. Thank you, thank you, thank you! You made what is usually a long, drawn out and intimidating chore into a very pleasant and streamlined experience. I can't thank you and Mr. Amazing Loans enough. Mr. Amazing Loans for the terrific system, and you for the wonderful service. You are both quite awesome! if you need an urgent loan you can email them at johnsmithloanhome@live.com
First off I love this car !!! It is a huge improvement over my 2009 Corolla S . I was in the market for another car in 2015 and came across this sharp grey Corolla S 6speed manual with every option you can get on a manual. I was told by the saleman that the car was ordered by original buyers who wanted it with a manual transmission and within 2400 mile he traded it in . I made out on the sale price and am so glad I picked this thing up. My only issue with the car has been the navigation randomly cutting off . The only complaints I've have with it is the power , or lack there of . It needs like another 40-50 hp to make it a bit more fun to row through the gearbox. I have just under 30k on it and still am happy with my purchase.
____ + I own a 1997 Toyota corolla CE (Classic Edition) with 147,000miles. I am the Second Owner of this vehicle. Color is Beige. It runs with a 1.6L
(4A-FE) Engine and transfers the power to the wheels on a 5 speed manual (C50) transmission with synchronizers.
____ + The Drivetrain is awesome on this vehicle, but the cv joints are leaking grease which makes me believe they can fail soon that's why I rate drivetrain 4 stars.
_____ + The body has no rust because Toyota did an excellent job on rust proofing this 7th generation vehicle, but the cup holder is too small and sensitive which ends up breaking every time that's why I rate body, interior 4 stars.
_____ + Bulbs stop working on the taillights, so far the driver taillight brake light bulb on the right side is a pain in the neck I ended up just ignoring it, and the speedometer assembly has had two light bulbs go out, I ended up ignoring those too and one day they decided to wake up that's why I rate electrical 3 stars.
_____+ Engine is in great shape it purrs but I think one valve might be a tiny bit out of adjustment because if I put my ear on the valve cover I hear something on one side of the engine, other than that the engine consumes a tiny bit of oil on 4000 mile oil change intervals- quite normal. And runs strong without any problem that's why I rate engine 5 stars.
_____ + It does NOT smoke I have had someone follow me while I accelerate quickly and no smoke, it is clear of engine lights and has passed two inspections with me that's why I rate exhaust and emissions 5 stars.
____+Heating works great and A/C was not cold but the car is so old that I added half a can of R-134 refrigerant to the A/C system and works better, but is not as cold as other cars ive been in that is why I rate A/C & Heating 4 stars.
____ + Front suspension is not so good as my car does not have the front stabilizer bar, when I go into turns at 8mph with a road hump like in an apartment complex parking lot, either tire right or left jumps and slams the inner fender side as the strut assembly fails to do a good job. I pulled a stabilizer bar from another corolla vehicle at the junk yard and plan on installing when I replace the control arms which show a little wear on the rubber. I have replaced two front struts and one rear strut assembly. I know I am supposed to change both sides together but the back struts require the removal of a brake hose therefore requiring a long brake procedure, this is why I rate suspension and steering 3 stars.
_____ + ALL IN ALL this car is awesome altogether.. in my opinion it is the most reliable car out there.. why? because it lasts long before something breaks compared to others and when something breaks no worries, this car was the highest selling car in the world in 1997 therefore more cars out there leading to cheaper parts because there is more demand for them.. a lot of people don't know the Idea of this car but it is quality that's what the designer wanted and he made it.. 1998 corollas and up focused on economy, they are horrible they burn so much oil and have cheap internal parts, I had a 1998 corolla before.. if you want a corolla get a 1997 or earlier year.. don't get too old and inspect the specific vehicle to be in good condition.. also automatic transmissions for these vehicles 1997 and older where badly made :(..
Purchased used in 2005 with 60k. Currently at 218,000, splitting mileage with a 2006 Tundra. The car has been a solid performer with the exception one major issue (more later). The brakes issue is real. I have not upgrades and intend to check with the dealer after earlier posts mentioned some sort of recall. Interior quality is good to excellent, and had not given any problems. Minor irritation mentioned in earlier posts are the loss of some indicator lights, in particular the "D" and some of the instrumentation that would be helpful when looking for knobs in the dark. My major issue is a gremlin, I think. Somewhere around 150k I upsized the tires to Pirelli Scorpions, P265/75-16 plus added Bilsteins. Not a big deal, right. shortly thereafter I started having serious issues with a shaking in the fron end, so bad I thought I was losing the front end. Toyota said it was the tires. This made no sense but I put the Pirellis on the Tundra and went to a stock size Michellin. No change. after what seemed like half-a-dozen trips to Longo Toyota I finally got one of the Japanese techs to agree it was the electronic traction control sensor. Replaced (my dime, big bucks), no problem. Fast forward 6 years, new tires, same upsized Pirelli's. Starting to get a rattling sound that my research seems to indicate may be the ATC(?) traction control. Point is, I think there is some issue with the electronic traction control. It is inconceivable to me that you cannot make a slight size change on this vehicle without creating these issues. Not sure what I will be dong next.
Just traded in my 1st Tundra 4wd TRD only had 315,000 miles ! Engine and trans still strong but began having to replace/fix too many things that are expected to go over time. Bought 2013 Tundra TRD 4wd, need I say more. Wife has 4runner with 300k+ still running fine. My only complaint is my front driver side speaker is blown, anyone know if it is worth having Toyota dealer fix or is there better options, any help appreciated.
I have an 01 Sequoia and it has the new trans and is getting the new computer now. Everyone who is one this board needs to make sure they call Toyota- not just your local dealer- because the girl I talked to said that they determine recalls partially based on how many complaints they get from the hotline.So...call!
I'm just giving a run down of most of the service I've had done to my '07 V6 Camry (which I bought new) to show how expensive it has been to keep it running properly. I really didn't think I'd have this many problems. I've previously owned 2 other Camry's and did not have this many issues.

118,000 - both alternator ($740) AND water pump need replacing (pump not replaced yet)
115,000 - replace 19 lugs nuts because they were "swollen and tough to get off" according to the Toyo dealer ($66)
103,000 - replaced rear disc rotors and pads ($420)
98,000 - replaced cabin air filter AGAIN ($50)
92,000 - replaced hood latch ($206)
91,000 - replaced front disc pads and resurfaced rotors ($325)
85,000 - replaced cabin air filter ($68)
61,000 - replaced positive battery terminal, rear brake pads, resurfaced rear rotors, replaced steering shaft ($700)
61,000 - 60,000 mile service ($490)
15,000 - 15,000 mile service ($260)
Paid cash for my 94 base cab 2x4 the day after Christmas in 1993, so it was fresh! Has served me well for the last 23 years or so. Odometer now reads over 240k . I've got the 22re. 5 speed manual. Custom shell installed just after I bought it. It came bare: no ps, no pb, no air, no radio, no cigarette lighter. One belt on the engine to deal with--for the alternator. I have gotten up to 45 mpg at times. Somebody asked me the other day if I wanted to sell it. I said sure......for 20k dollars! My little Toyota will probably outlive me and I hope it does.

Maintenance during that time? On my fourth battery. Fourth set of tires. Had the radiator replaced. New front rotors at 200k. Changed the timing chain for the first time at 200k. I have personally changed the oil every 3000 miles. Today it runs like new.
I bought my used 1995 Toyota Camry LE sedan 4-cyl with 82K miles- maybe in 2008. The inside was in great condition, but was that dated light blue color. I immediately replaced the water pump & timing belt because the previous owner had not - that was about $600. Still, I got a good car for a total of $3500. It has never had any rust. As of 2016 this car has been a trooper, it has 171K. The A/c is super cold & the defrost works great. It is not the most prestigious looking car on the road- is not equipped with the latest USB ports or sirius radio, and my large husband does not think it is all that comfy to drive. BUT this car runs. I have, over the years replaced the struts, fuel pump, distributor, radiator, master cylinder, plus regular stuff. It has had a bit of an issue where the gear shift doesn't engage the switch so the key will turn, but I have had that worked on, seems to be way better now. Lately, I have noticed a slight hesitation in the the automatic gear shift when accelerating at around 50 mph. I just ease off the gas and it usually shifts fine. The maintenance costs have been minimal compared to paying several hundred dollars a month (plus higher car ins. & taxes) for something that only decreases in value. I have heard the 1995 V-6 is not such a work horse, perhaps more of the other reviewers will specify which engine is being reviewed. I do not think I will ever get rid of this car, even if/when I do have more $ to put into an automobile. This car is just a great little find if you are lucky enough to come across one that has been well maintained. A car is just to get from point A to point B, and is not worth going into mega debt over. Thanks for reading my review.
I have 108,000 on the 2005 Solara SLE. HARD to beat this car. JBL sounds top-down clear, always starts the same, has sat long periods and always came out of sitting well. I've changed belts, battery, brakes, and tires. Bridgestone Turazas don't wear out and ride well. Had the computer tell me I needed an oxygen sensor in 117 degree Tulsa summer heat, but after I bought one, I still have it, as it no longer asks for it, curing itself I guess. I used to run higher mid grade gas, but now run regular. Not an issue. My wife left the car running all night in the garage, and came to bed and it shut itself off eight years ago. No biggie. I reach under the hood and replace the oil filter every 3,000 synthetic miles because you can... With your barehand... Wow! Thanks Toyota! And it won't leak on the garage floor !!!
I want to buy another car, but why? Maybe because I'm a guy driving my late wife's car... I guess that's why they stopped making the car... It became a gender thing... Men have no identity driving this black beauty... But real men don't care ..., and real men don't always drive trucks... So be it!! Take me to 300,000 Zorro!
I purchased my 1995 Toyota Tacoma 2 Will Dr. in the year 2000 and had 146,000 miles on it somebody used to haul their hourly now I've been using it for work every day and travel often and it has 425,000 miles on it and the only thing I've ever had to replace was the brakes in the clutch like they say this is the best four-cylinder motor ever made
I bought my Corolla in 2008 brand new. I figured by the time my child was able to drive this car would be in great condition at 7 years old. Boy was I wrong! Within a year I had to get a brand new set of tires as the factory tires were horrible. I have literally had close to 10 light bulbs go out in the car. Currently the light under the gears is out. If it is dark I have no idea what gear I am in unless I look up at the main panel. Not great for a new teen driver! Light bulbs should not go out like they do in this car..it started about 3 years after I bought car. Dealership first told me I probably used my brakes too much! I have had too many recalls to count. My AUX device messed up and I had to have that fixed to listen to music on a phone. I had paint chipping and rusting after only two years of having. I am so disappointed in this car. There are other things that have messed up way before they should have but I can't remember them all! I need to buy a new car for myself so my child can have this car, but I can't afford a new car AND keep up with the maintenance on this lemon.
Great car but difficult to understand complexity and if dealers would be consistently honest and affordable this car would be more of a pleasure to own.
I bought my 2004 Camry in 2009 with 40,000 miles. Still going 158,000 miles later with regular maintenance and very little repair. Plan to keep my Camry as long as it runs! Love my Camry!!
Bought 2003 Corolla CE that had 90K miles in 2006 for only $7600, and our family put on another 100K miles in 9 years (total 191K miles). Engine and transmission has been solid with zero issues. Basically, I did the typical maintenance (oil, trans, tires, brakes, filters, etc.) and it is such a reliable car. However, the only problem is I thought I save few bucks by changing oil every 5000 miles instead of 3000, and I think that caused my catalytic convert / O2 sensors to go bad. Dealer wants $1600 to replace them, but cars too old to spend that much money. So I'm looking to sell it as is or just get $100 after market catalytic converter and have someone cut out the old one and weld the new on back on. And I can replace the O2 sensors myself. This will only cost me about $400 total. Even with the check engine light on, the car starts and runs reliably. Some noticeable interior quality issues were things like both front door inside plastic lining by the window base have lifted up, and some sidewall carpets have come off, and center dash door wouldn't close and eventually fell off, But these are minor cosmetic issues for a car that's 12 years old. Overall, I got every penny (and then some) out of this $7600 car over 9 years and change. FYI...this is 6th Toyota (Camry and Corolla) that we've had, and nearly all of them have been (boring to drive but) superbly reliable car to own. If you are value minded car owner, then Corollas and Camrys should be top contenders in your decision.
I am driving 2007 Toyota Camry XLE and it has over hundred thousand miles. No big repairs, just regular oil change etc. I find out from a good Technician that if you are buying any Toyota or Lexus Cars try to buy a car which VIN Number starts from JTB.... because those cars are made and assembled in JAPAN. I had Toyota Corolla before this Camry with the same VIN number starting from JTB... and had more than Two hundred thousand miles, it was still running like a new horse until got into an accident and had to total that car. Toyota makes really good cars and they can run for ever if you maintain them well.. I love my 2007 Camry.
I am the 3rd owner of my 2004 Camry XLE and until 150,000 miles hit, there were few issues. Most recently was the issue of my purge valve needing to be replaced. The check engine light kept coming on and I tried everything but replacing the catalytic converter and purge valve. At 98k miles, the A/C needed to be recharged and a whole new system leading up to the radiator (but not the radiator itself) had to be replaced due to old tubes, hoses and various wear and tear. The fan controlling the A/C compressor would not gain enough pressure to spin fast enough. Only when doing about 60MPH for about 5 minutes, did the air start blowing cool. I've had no motor issues, and for what it's worth, still one of the best cars I've bought, especially used. I think it'll last at least another 25k miles if I keep up with my seasonal maintenance.
239K miles 300+ miles to the tank. No major services ever. Runs great though now I will be. Needing a new compressor. Has never left me or my college aged kids stranded. Think a lot of mechanics scare you into repairs due to lack of business. I was told 4 years ago that I had a transmission problem and needed work inside transmission to this day I have not had any problems with my vehicle nor ever has required to have the transmission serviced. Only general maintenance. Proud female Matrix owner. 12 years and still running strong. Hallelujah!!!
would not stop alarming