2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Reviews
2009 Volkswagen Jetta TDI Reviews and Owner Comments
Login to Review This Car
I purchased the car new in 9/2009. My wife drives the car commuting to work - 50 miles/day - current mileage 124,000. Overall its been a great car for my wife's daily commute. All recommended service work has been done at the local dealership. POSITIVES Mileage: Great "diesel mileage" averaged 40+mpg for the life of the vehicle. Torque: Amazing torque from the 2.0 liter diesel! I've noticed that the transmission doesn't downshift even when going up moderate hills at highway speeds. The 200+ pounds of torque just keeps pulling - gasoline engines downshift 1 or 2 gears in the same situation! Brakes: Have not serviced the front brakes since the car was new - the rear brakes were serviced at 100,000 miles. At every oil change I make sure to ask about the need to service the brakes but the dealership keeps saying they're good. I assume this has to do with the fact that the majority of miles are highway miles. Still, this is amazing. Seats: We love the heated seats - We live in Minnesota - need I say more? NEGATIVES Radiator: The radiator developed a small leak at 85,000 miles requiring topping off the reservoir every 2 weeks - my wife would get freaked out every time the low coolant warning light would come on. Replaced the radiator...cost $788.85. I am 53 years old and I have owned several vehicles until they reach 150k-200k miles and I've never had to replace a radiator. Electrical: This car seems to go through more bulbs (front, rear & license) than other cars I've owned. At 112k miles the "fuse box under the hood melted" (quoted from repair invoice). Cost to replace $490.92. No explanation was given to me why this happened. Side Mirrors: At 114k, as I walked by the passenger side mirror I bumped it with my hip and it snapped off. The mirrors are designed with an aluminum pivoting assembly. The internal mechanism that is supposed to pivot was corroded to the point where it would not move. Upon inspecting the driver side mirror, I discovered the same issue. I called the dealership and I was quoted over $600 to replace my side mirrors. I consulted with an independent mechanic and he advised me to speak with the service manager at the dealership about any possible defects/recalls relating to the mirrors. I contacted the service manager and there were no recalls but he contacted Volkswagen America and got them to cover the cost of the parts, I had to pay the labor bill - $292.00 Warm-up issues: If the car is parked outside in temperatures below 15 degrees for 6+ hours, the car does not reach full operating temp during highway driving. This results in a 50% reduction in fuel mileage (about 20mpg) Turbo surge: When at a dead stop it can be difficult to accelerate moderately while turning with out engaging the turbocharger - this results in wheel spin. Expensive recommended service: At 110k miles, VW recommends replacing the timing belt and the water pump at a cost of $1100 - ouch!
Bought my 2009 Jetta TDI wagon new, had 3 door lock actuators replaced and the exhaust flap, also had the tranny issues others have had. When I needed the exhaust flap and 3rd door actuator replaced I was out of warranty and they wanted $$$ for it, not gonna happen!! I eventually got them to cover 75% of the costs and I am now getting the other 25% back from the exhaust flap recall. Overall the VW BRAND is diminishing,the sunroof deflector is a STUPID design, mine is ripped on both sides now (100k miles) The product is now assembled in MEXICO!!...Need I say more?!?!?! Canadian car. using the 90210 code :)
Bought my 2009 Jetta TDI used. 1 month afterward, the engine light came on (but it still ran). It was under warranty, so they systematically replaced just about everything that had to do with the fuel injection and filtration. I thought they finally got it fixed after $6,000 of repairwork and 4 visits in a year, but it only lasted 6 months. engine light came back on again! replaced exhaust pressure sensor and it was fine ($385). one month later engine light was back on and the muffler light. diagnostics says it is the exhaust temperature sensor now. Also, just got a letter from VW this week saying the exhaust flap on these cars are no good and if you need it rrepaired, they will cover it, Obviously, these cars have a problem with the entire exhaust system and should be recalled! Oh yeah, also had to have the air fixed. My car now has 85,000 miles. as a diesal, it should just be getting broken in. VW 's looked good, but buy another brand if you don't want to always be repairing!
I actually have the sportswagen TDI. It is an OK little car. I would love more rear leg room and headroom too.