2004 Volkswagen Jetta Repair and Maintenance
A guide to problems, costs, maintenance and repair for your 2004 Volkswagen Jetta
- High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems
- Power Windows Fail More Often Than Manually Operated Window Cranks
- Reverse Gear Failures and Noise in Manual Transmission Models are Common
- Difficult to Diagnose Electrical Issues Are Typically Due to Ground Issues
- Ignition Coil, Ignition Wires, and Spark Plugs May Fail
- I changed my coil pack now my car wont start what else should I do
- Changed a leaking coolant flange and now the engine misfires after warming up.
- What does a diagnostics misfire code mean?
- we have had these cars with the ob2 system on them, the cels are on mor thn off
- Transmission fluid in my coolant reservoir.
2004 Volkswagen Jetta Problems
Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.
One or more power windows may fail. Our technicians tell us this is commonly due to a failed window regulator which will require replacement.
Reverse gear failures and noise in the manual transmission models are common.
2004 Volkswagen Jetta Questions
And plugs and wires to
First drive of the day, early morning after rain, my engine light was blinking on and off, and car sounded like it was going to stall, started shaking on and off, then it was fine after driving for about 5 minutes. Diagnostics said it was misfiring.
I bought this jetta a few weeks ago, engine runs great, i knew it had some kind of transmission problem but am very handy with cars so i wasn't worried. after starting it up i noticed the coolant level warning light starts blinking and the engine check light was on and it was over heating, i ...
2004 Volkswagen Jetta Recalls
Some vehicles may have a high pressure diesel pump with an incorrect fastener, which may allow the fuel to leak. A fuel leak in the presence of an ignition source may lead to a fire. Dealers will replace the diesel pump. The recall began February 8, 2005. The Volkswagen recall number is VY.
2004 Volkswagen Jetta Reviews
Have this car since it was a baby (ie. new), now has 96k on it. It handles very good, I can get into tight places and make turns while accelerating. The engine sometimes feels like it wishes for a day off (not too much power on the 2.0L, I guess) but overall it's very reliable. The front bumper ground clearance could have been a bit higher though, I keep having problem with the bumper scratch...
/ water pump has big issues.The water pump impeller is made of plastic and prone to leakage.It becomes highly expensive to replace, since anytime you replace the water pump,it is recommended to replace the timing belt.
bought a 2005 (last year for this generation) last year. It had 15k on it, but it was still junk. The 2.0L I4 is horribly underpowered matched to an antiquated 4-spd auto, the shifts are rough, you need to mash the pedal to the floor to get the car to go with traffic, the brakes are fair at best. In a VW if the ABS comes on and you still skid, it will let go of the brakes. The seats are fir...