Car Problem Reports

Dodge Durango Rerouting Ignition Coil/Spark Plug Wires Can Solve Misfire/Surge Problems

Dodge Durango Problem
5 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 2001, 2002, 2003

Engine Affected: 5.9L V8

Average Mileage: 140,000 mi (130,000 mi - 150,000 mi)

Verified

On the 5.9L V8 engine, rerouting the ignition coil wire and spark plug wires can help solve a misfire and/or surge problem that occurs at approximately 45 mph. A service bulletin was published that outlines the specifics of the repair. It states the rerouting procedure should be performed before other repairs are done for misfires, surging or spark knock.

• Vagabon7, , 5.9L V8, 150,000 mi

Stepped on the gas, heard a pop sound, lost all power but engine idled rough. Was able to coast it to my house where it now sits. I was able to get it to turn over once since and it idled very roughly. Since then it's only been a crank and no start. Every now and then I smell a bit of gas, but I imagine it is only from the injectors trying to start. I did hook up a OBD II Scanner to it, the codes were P0300, P0302, and P0308. I know these are misfire codes, and I did clear them out. It did not solve the problem. It still cranks but does not start. And no more codes are showing, and the scanner says PASS as well as the dashboard option for checking the errors. It says P done when tested. I replaced the Crankshaft sensor, reset the PCM, and still nothing. Help!

• matthew0586, , 5.9L V8, 130,000 mi

Constant P0308 code.
    No solution found at this time.