The throttle position sensor, located on the throttle body, reads the angle of the throttle valve based on the position of the gas pedal and transmits the data to the engine control computer.
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Check Engine Light may come on
- Engine may hesitate, misfire, or jerk upon acceleration
- Automatic transmission may shift erratically
- Engine may stall without warning
Related Repair Advice
- Only use factory OEM throttle position sensors and be sure to check for any relevant Technical Service Bulletins (TSBs), plus any necessary software updates and re-calibration procedures
- A throttle position sensor code isn't always triggered by a defective throttle position sensor. It can be triggered by a defective crankshaft position sensor, MAP sensor, mass air flow sensor, ignition problem, defective PCM, or wiring related issue.