Rerouting Ignition Coil/Spark Plug Wires Can Solve Misfire/Surge Problems on Dodge Ram 1500

Problem Description and Possible Solution

On the 3.9L V6 and 5.2L V8, rerouting the ignition coil wire and spark plug wires can help solve a misfire and/or surge problem that occurs at approximately 45 mph. A service bulletin was published that outlines the specifics of the repair. It states the rerouting procedure should be performed before other repairs are done for misfires, surging or spark knock.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 170,892 (112,000–330,000)
Exhaust & Emissions affected: 5.9L V8
10 model years affected: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, more1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004
34 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 comments
My truck has a loss of power and falls down to about 1300 rpm while I am going at cruise speed(not using cruise) and has a serious lack of power and doesn't respond to the throttle like it should.
Check engine light flashes going up hill at @60mph. Loses power at same time. Just purchased truck. Have not yet fixed problem.
Truck will shudder or hesitate at any speed.
Shakes at idle and shakes/missfires at 45 mph
miss firing in high gear and when your going uphill
I own a 97 conversion van B1500, 3.9L, this van I own it since 1998, and it always, always had misfire on bank, Surged at 55mph, loss power at low speed, non responsive at times, shift between gears bucken and surging, I has replace the motor after over 2000.00 ran good until warranty ended since then I've replaced TPS, CPS,Cam sensor, Both 02 (up and down streams), coil, wires , plugs, injection #3 and #5, Transmission pressure, transductor,fuel pump and sending unit, Kat, both banks intake gaskets, ECM and all fuses relation to duty run, I had it with this van in 2002 so I installed a Jasper long block, 3.9L, and a rebuilt Transmission with a new matching ECM. Ran good until last spring and am having the same troubles PO300, PO301,PO303,PO305,PO132,PO204 and PO0205, as I sat looking at the engine looking at the code reader comparing in the manual I start have flash backs of the trouble this dodge been, don't know why I wish to fix this thing it is a nightmare and a money trap, think I park it and drive the silverado
My 2000 dodge 1500 5.2L has been acting up. It shakes roughly at around 45no it shakes a lot more,it back fires you can here popping from tale pipe and around exhaust manifold area it acts as if its getting air when stepping on gas and loses power. What should I do?
surge problems losing power bad
Yes my truck 2000 5.2 liter dodge 1500 will crank but when you turn off and try crank again it takes 3 hours before it cranks again
Same problem as far as the surge goes.