Rerouting Ignition Coil/Spark Plug Wires Can Solve Misfire/Surge Problems on Dodge Dakota

On the 3.9L V6 and 5.2L V8, rerouting the ignition coil wire and spark plug wires can help solve a misfire and/or surge problem that occurs at approximately 45 mph. A service bulletin was published that outlines the specifics of the repair. It states the rerouting procedure should be performed before other repairs are done for misfires, surging or spark knock.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 140,955 (80,000–197,167)
7 model years affected: 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, more1996, 1998, 1999
11 people reported this problem
3 people shared problem details
1999 Dodge Dakota145,698
Reroute the wires
1994 Dodge Dakota197,167
Idles fine most of the time with minor fluctuations, but a little high when warm. 1200 to 1400 rpm. When accelerating it will in most cases rev to 1600 or 1800 rpms then fall flat and labor at about 1000 to 1200 rpm. I can back off the gas and hit it again and usually continue to accelerate until it shifts. It does this in each gear until I reach about 60 to 65 mph, then it clears up. But on occasion it will be running steady at 75 then fall again, and wont recover till it drops below 60.
My trucks engine light always returns. My catalytic converter was melted closed. So on the cheap side, they punched out my cat conv. with a long screwdriver so my engine could breathe again. Then I just threw a muffler on it to quiet it down. My muffler exploded yesterday! Side blown open. My truck is loud right now, but the explosions stopped because the gas fumes are escaping now. LOL. I had a new ignition coil put in, and it ran awesome for like a week. I was super happy. Now, I have the check engine light again. Muffler blown up. This says rerouting the ignition coil wires and spark plug wires can fix this issue. They are causing some kind of short/surge. This says typically at 45mph plus. Yes because your gassing it. My muffler blew up on highway going 65. It was so bad the people behind me swerved and i saw little pieces flying off my truck haha. I'm lucky my gas tank didn't explode! Once you get the truck running good and check engine light gone for good, then you can put a new catalytic converter/exhaust on and not worry. I would like to try this.
My check engine light comes on and the engine begins misfiring. Scan shows #2 misfire and somet...
Changed plugs and wires the engine now misses all the time when running
ive replaced all sensors and intermittently misfire codes come up but there all on the left si...
no spark from the plug wires