Car Problem Reports

Dodge Dakota Rerouting Ignition Coil/Spark Plug Wires Can Solve Misfire/Surge Problems

Dodge Dakota Problem
10 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999

Average Mileage: 112,849 mi (80,000 mi - 145,698 mi)

Verified

On the 3.9L V6 and 5.2L V8, rerouting the ignition coil wire and spark plug wires can help solve a misfire and/or surge problem that occurs at approximately 45 mph. A service bulletin was published that outlines the specifics of the repair. It states the rerouting procedure should be performed before other repairs are done for misfires, surging or spark knock.

• Visitor, , 145,698 mi

Reroute the wires

•  Rookie

My trucks engine light always returns. My catalytic converter was melted closed. So on the cheap side, they punched out my cat conv. with a long screwdriver so my engine could breathe again. Then I just threw a muffler on it to quiet it down. My muffler exploded yesterday! Side blown open. My truck is loud right now, but the explosions stopped because the gas fumes are escaping now. LOL. I had a new ignition coil put in, and it ran awesome for like a week. I was super happy.

Now, I have the check engine light again. Muffler blown up.

This says rerouting the ignition coil wires and spark plug wires can fix this issue.

They are causing some kind of short/surge. This says typically at 45mph plus. Yes because your gassing it. My muffler blew up on highway going 65. It was so bad the people behind me swerved and i saw little pieces flying off my truck haha. I'm lucky my gas tank didn't explode!

Once you get the truck running good and check engine light gone for good, then you can put a new catalytic converter/exhaust on and not worry. I would like to try this.