Jeep
Wrangler

Problem shifting into reverse with AX-15 manual transmission on Jeep Wrangler

Problem Description and Possible Solution
Due to the design of the reverse gear system in the AX-15 manual transmission, it may block shifting into reverse one out of every ten attempts. An updated reverse gear is available if the concern becomes more frequent.
Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 88,250 (15,000–150,000)
Drive Train affected: Manual Transmission
7 model years affected: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, more1999, 2002, 2005
11 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 comments
vehicle shifts great when cold. when the vehicle is warm, forward gear shifting gets hard. Shifting into reverse, when warm, is impossible unless the vehicle is turned off. The clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, master and slave cylinder were also changed. As of this date, the problem is unsolved and two separate mechanics can't find the problem
Hard to get into reverse
1993 Jeep Sahara: Just found this site and discovered this problem (I thought it was ME). I now typically shift into 4th gear and then into reverse, it kind of helps. Having just read this, will be awhile before I can get if fixed (having fuel pump done today). I LOVE MY JEEP, but it's over 20 years old and I appear to slowly be rebuilding, but the engine is solid with 180,000 miles.
Problems shifting into reverse. Sometimes I can feel that reverse has not engaged and other times not until I step on the gas and go nowhere do I know. This occurs intermittently about 10 times a year. When this happens, I put it into first and roll forward a bit then back into reverse with successful engagement. I bought the car with approximately 20,000 miles and it now has approximately 50,000. The issue does not seem to be occuring with increasing frequency.
hard to get in reverse and then pops out all the time