A few months ago, my check engine light came on. I took it to the repair shop and they said the O2 sensor needed to be replaced. They replaced it and charged me $600. Later in the day, they called me and said when they installed the O2 sensor, it shorted out the computer and said it would cost another $400 to replace the computer. Does this sound right, or have I been ripped off? I decided to not have a new computer installed and just get rid of the car, but I still had to pay for the $600 O2 sensor. I gave the car to my neice, whose mechanic said there was nothing wrong with the computer and it passed inspection in Virginia. What is your opinion on this? Thanks for your help.
O2 sensor on 2001 Ford Escort
MOST POPULAR ANSWER by Bret Bodas ,
August 27, 2009
For the diagnosis and replacement of the O2 sensor, I can see at most $300-$350, but there could be other factors that drive up the cost, like rust and corrosion and diagnosis complexities, but this sure seems very high. Does the repair order mention anything besides diagnosis and replacement of the O2 sensor? Do you know the codes stored at the time?
2 answersJune 26, 2011
3 answersAugust 19, 2010
1 answerOctober 06, 2013
1 answerFebruary 15, 2010
0 answersJuly 26, 2014
This week's top 10
Recent Ford Escort Questions
- I have a 1993 ford escort was driving down the ran out gas car died and will not
- Car cranks but won't kick over was driving car ran out of gas car turned off won
- My car is actually a 1986 Ford Contour. The checkengine unit has gone bad.
- What is wrong when a fuse blows and melts the wire behind the fuse box?
- Why wont my car start when it has a new battery only 3 months old
2001 Ford Escort Estimates
- Power Door Lock Actuator Replacement ($176 - 244) in Pattison, MS
- ABS Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement ($280 - 359) in Elmhurst, PA
- Steering Rack Replacement ($558 - 692) in Enfield, NC
- Oil Pan Reseal - Engine ($203 - 308) in Wagarville, AL
- Emergency Brake Cable Replacement ($337 - 530) in Moses Lake, WA
- Suspension Control Arm Bushings Replacement ($172 - 196) in Candor, NY