Honda
CR-V

Engine Valves May Fail Prematurely and Cause Engine Problems on Honda CR-V

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The engine valves can prematurely fail. The cylinder head will need to be replaced due to wear in the area where the valves seal. Intake or exhaust valve failure may illuminate the Check Engine Light. The car may have poor engine performance and fail emission tests.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 146,969 (70,000–254,000)
Engine affected: 2.0L 4 Cylinder
6 model years affected: 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, more2001, 2002
25 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 11 of 11 comments
Engine Cylinder 1 and 3 faulty due to possible piston ring and (mostly suspected) valve fault. I have referred it to a garage to have it looked into.
Recently my CR-V started idling rough and wanted to stall. Then my engine light came on... turned out low/no pressure in number 4 cylinder. Cost to fix, about $2,000. Thinking about junking it.
Cylinder # 1 has only 20 PSI compression
bad valve cylinder nos. three
Shortly after purchasing used from a Honda dealer this problem began. Also had expensive sensor problem as well. This car has been a nightmare. Honda is not as reliable as reputation!
Just have really bad idle. Engine power is good. Problem improved a little with new spark plugs. Previous timing belt replacement didn't improve problem much.
Trying a valve adjustment today and compression test but mechanic thinks this is yet another CRV with a burned valve.
My mechanic basically just said that the check engine light was on because of issues with low psi - about 50 - in cylinder 2 ( I believe). He said it needed to be replaced and would cost between $2400 - $4500 depending on what else may be damaged.
I can't afford to fix it but I feel that this is a pretty common problem and Honda should pay for all or most of the cost for it to be fixed. I've loved my previous Honda vehicles but this issue is turning me off to Honda and I will be driving it until it dies then purchasing a Ford Explorer, another favorite, and Ford actually fixed an issue I had at there expense and there wasn't a recall for that issue either. Honda needs to step up its customer service. I will not be a repeat customer.
Number 1 cylinder 30psi, one of the exhaust valves was found to be completely tight on valve clearance inspection, no gap, valve stuck open, check engine light on, rough idle/dies, runs ok above 2500rpm, spark plug looked brown not fouled.
No solution except to replace the cylinder head and probably valves. Told this by Honda dealer.
Took in to dealer for tune up, found out the 4th cylinder did not have enough pressure
At around 75,000 the check engine light came on on our 2001 CRV and it turned out to be a bad valve... cylinder block had to be replaced.. a very expensive repair, about $2,000... then shortly thereafter distributor failed had to be replaced and shelled out another $800, then transmission fluid master cylinder failed... about $300 to fix... recently had a loose timing belt but dealer tightened it and have not had any major problems since... since engine has so many new parts hoping we can get 200,000 mi out of this car... overall disappointed with this car... was expecting better quality from Honda... hoping to drive it to 200,000 miles to get our money's worth from all of the expensive repairs...