Early Versions of Central Gateway Module Have Software Problems on Mercedes-Benz E350 4MATIC

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The early versions of the central gateway module (which allows different systems to communicate with each other) have software problems.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 100,333 (70,000–149,000)
5 model years affected: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, more2010
10 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 3 of 3 comments
2006 MB E350 (not a 4matic): I was napping at a rest stop and left the car running with the a/c on for a couple of hours. Once I began to drive away, my dash had the errors of "cruise control malfunction, SRS malfunction and oil sensor malfunction and to visit the workshop." I panicked due to the manual indicating that the airbags could suddenly deploy on their own. So, I immediately took it to the dealer and was told that I had a "faulty central gateway" and it needed to be repaired. I was somewhat in disbelief due to a similar incident occurred when the flashing of numerous things not working along with a "red light" about the low battery voltage which resulted in an axillary battery being required. So, I called around to get prices and other opinions and it all came back to the same issue. A $700 repair ($200 for parts; $500 for labor).
Central Gateway Control Module and Transmission Conduit went out at the same time. The car would not shift out of 1st gear and smoke came from the back end of the car. What is really frustrating is that we have the top of the line extended warranty and they won't cover this!
I had the same problem . interior light dim automatically, AC turns on and off automatically, and brake check engine lights turn on and off and show display malfunction. I had to take it to the dealer and found that the central gateway module part # 1695406945 has corrosion and warranty doesn't cover. Part price was around 180$ and labor is 800$ .. what a big crappy dealer here in San Juan Tx.