Check Engine Light on Due to EVAP Vapor Canister Fault on Toyota RAV4

The Evaporative system may have problems with the vapor canister releasing charcoal pellets that plug the vent valve. Typically a Code P0441, P0442 and P0446 will be set. The key code is the P0446 which is a vent valve electrical failure. The proper repair is to replace the entire canister with all the valves as a unit. This is located on top of the fuel tank and is expensive. Our Technicians tell us that for awhile Toyota was covering these problems, but this may have changed. It would not hurt to call the dealer if this problem occurs to see if Toyota is still helping with these repairs.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 102,347 (10,010–290,000)
16 model years affected: 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, more2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
103 people reported this problem
61 people shared problem details
2007 Toyota RAV468,400
Started the vehicle in the a.m check engine light on VSC & 4X4 lights stayed on. Took Rav-4 to dealer and I was quoted 1543 plus tax to fix the problem. Replacing the Evaporative charcoal canister, Filter and COPVER & Protector. I was thinking of trading in this RAV 4 on a 2013 but if all of these lights come on with just an emissions problem then I don't think I'll buy another Toyota. Codes that came up P043E, P043F, P1578, P2401, P2402, P2419. I am entertaining the idea if I cannot locate a reasonable replacement canister, to take the old one, drill a hole in it with my dremel tool, empty out the charcoal and replace the charcoal with some charcoal from my fish supply store. Don't know if it will work but if it does, I'll let you know. I would rather spend 2 bucks on charcoal and a little work than over 1500.00 on a canister from Toyota.
16 people like thisFlag inappropiate
Happened once and our mechanic got one from junk yard that passed the smoke test for a total of $900 installed. 6 months later all of the lights and codes came back. We said we were not paying over $1,000 again and traded the car in for a Highlander. We loved the RAV4 but they need to redesign the Charcola Canister and fix the problem.
7 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2005 Toyota RAV4130,000
P0442, Evap leak - small. Check engine light comes on with the two VSC traction lights. My mechanic ran the Rav's self-diagnostic and that came back with no evap problems. But, 2 days after resetting the warning lights, all 3 come back on. If it's this evap cannister, I hope Toyota will help with the fix because I'm not putting $1500 into this car.
6 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2007 Toyota RAV445,000
check engine light came on. mechanic told me it was probably the canister but that it didn't affect the engine so was okay to run with it. but time came for maryland emissions inspection, and it failed. mechanic now quotes $1500 to fix. Would like cheaper alternative! Would never have bought this car if I'd thought this kind of thing would happen this soon.
5 people like thisFlag inappropiate
1998 Toyota RAV4219,000
reset the check-engine light
4 people like thisFlag inappropiate
1998 Toyota RAV470,000
error code 0446
4 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2005 Toyota RAV4126,000
It's still happening...Here in NJ I was quoted $500 at my toyota dealership on my second trip (I went along with the gas cap scenerio on my first warning lights on trip), My boyfriend said he could do it, after searching, I found it online for $313.
2008 Toyota RAV441,000
This just happened to me, too. Suddenly my check engine, 4WD + VSC lights came on when I started the car in the morning. Took it to my Toyota dealership for diagnosis, and it was the canister. They volunteered to cover it "as a courtesy to me because I've been such a good customer & have always had my vehicle serviced there". The repair would have cost over $1400, and most of that cost is parts, not labor. It only took 1 hour to correct it.
2004 Toyota RAV458,000
Toyota dealership wouldn't stand behind the problem. Had to buy online for $300 and will find a shop to install
3 people like thisFlag inappropiate
Getting the code po446. Have not done anything yet. Trying to find a common solution online. Looks like the evap canister needs to be replaced ~ maybe with all the valves? Whatever that means, it's apparently expensive. Not finding too many blogs/writings on this one as far as solutions go but the ones I have found pretty much say the same thing. Hope it's not too expensive a fix... Wonder if I will get better gas mileage or more power after it's fixed (I bought it this way...)
3 people like thisFlag inappropiate
I have discovered if you overfill the gas tank (top off) it will cause the check engine light to come on. The way I discovered this is my wife said that the “check engine light” came on after she put gas in it. The computer then reports you have a problem with that canister because the fuel backs up into it. I went to get a quote thinking that I had a problem and was quoted with the same error number with a cost of $1500 to correct. Since I did not want to pay the high cost and it was not an engine problem I decided to wait it out. The check engine light eventually cleared but it takes a few weeks for the gas to clear out of the canister. I confirmed this by overfilling the gas tank myself and light came on and it took a couple months for the light to clear. Glad I held off, would have been a waste of money. Do not top off the RAV4 it could fool you into unneeded repairs.
2 people like thisFlag inappropiate
Check engine light comes on with another 2 lights ... 5 codes comes up ... gas cap replaced; oxygen sensor replaced for $600 and now lights are back on ... they fixed the gas cap again and said it may be the vapor cannister/charcoal cannister may have a crack in it that leaks or it may be an internal leak ... who knows ... but they said if the lighst come on again, they would have to fix that even though it is currently not showing as a problem or crack and it will be very expensive, BLAH!!!
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
Vsc, 4w/d, engine light. All lit. Exactly the same problem. Codes evap system. The part is $ 860.00 plus installation and taxes and any other fees.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
I am having problems with my engine light and vsc light I have replaced my 2 sensors and 2 catalytic converts and I also put 16's tires on and my light still keep coming on.
2003 Toyota RAV4110,000
Hey, what about the 2003 Rav4? I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but my vehicle is in the shop right now for all new fuel and evap lines, pipe assembly, and fuel filter. My check engine light is almost always on and reads P0281 (I believe this is correct), something about the thermometer reading incorrectly.
2000 Toyota RAV4187,469
not fixed yet
2004 Toyota RAV4130,890
The Check Engine and Vsc Trac lights have repeatedly turned on. The Toyota dealer had replaced the gas cap, battery and spark plugs over the course of two weeks and two visits. The lights are on again just 2 days now since the last visit. They do not seem to want to fix my 2004 Rav 4 for me. From my research it could be the canister or the O2 sensor. Neither of these have been suggested.
2012 Toyota RAV475,000
No solution, evap canister
2011 Toyota RAV479,240
evac system and need to replace the vapor canister at lease turn in
2005 Toyota RAV4144,000
Code P0456 evap emission leak code, hoping to get it fixed. just brought the car last year.
I have a 2004 Rav4. Approx.300,000KM and still going strong. The issue is we have replaced th...
The abs light just went on. What could be the problem? Can I still drive the car?
Recently replaced radiator, water pump, therostat and radiator cap. Loosing approx half a litre...
My 2007 Rav4 (4wd v-6) is 2.5 years old but over 36K mile warranty (mostly highway miles). Rep...
Just the other day my 06 rav4 went down and needs all fuel injectors replaced!! I use nothing b...