Car Problem Reports

Toyota RAV4 Replace EVAP Canister to Correct EVAP System Problems

Toyota RAV4 Problem
76 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Average Mileage: 96,612 mi (10,010 mi - 290,000 mi)

Verified

The Evaporative system may have problems with the vapor canister releasing charcoal pellets that plug the vent valve. Typically a Code P0441, P0442 and P0446 will be set. The key code is the P0446 which is a vent valve electrical failure. The proper repair is to replace the entire canister with all the valves as a unit. This is located on top of the fuel tank and is expensive. Our Technicians tell us that for awhile Toyota was covering these problems, but this may have changed. It would not hurt to call the dealer if this problem occurs to see if Toyota is still helping with these repairs.

• Visitor, , 68,400 mi

Started the vehicle in the a.m check engine light on VSC & 4X4 lights stayed on. Took Rav-4 to dealer and I was quoted 1543 plus tax to fix the problem. Replacing the Evaporative charcoal canister, Filter and COPVER & Protector. I was thinking of trading in this RAV 4 on a 2013 but if all of these lights come on with just an emissions problem then I don't think I'll buy another Toyota. Codes that came up P043E, P043F, P1578, P2401, P2402, P2419. I am entertaining the idea if I cannot locate a reasonable replacement canister, to take the old one, drill a hole in it with my dremel tool, empty out the charcoal and replace the charcoal with some charcoal from my fish supply store. Don't know if it will work but if it does, I'll let you know. I would rather spend 2 bucks on charcoal and a little work than over 1500.00 on a canister from Toyota.

•  Rookie

Happened once and our mechanic got one from junk yard that passed the smoke test for a total of $900 installed. 6 months later all of the lights and codes came back. We said we were not paying over $1,000 again and traded the car in for a Highlander. We loved the RAV4 but they need to redesign the Charcola Canister and fix the problem.

• Visitor, , 45,000 mi

check engine light came on. mechanic told me it was probably the canister but that it didn't affect the engine so was okay to run with it. but time came for maryland emissions inspection, and it failed. mechanic now quotes $1500 to fix. Would like cheaper alternative! Would never have bought this car if I'd thought this kind of thing would happen this soon.

• Visitor, , 219,000 mi

reset the check-engine light

• Visitor, , 126,000 mi

It's still happening...Here in NJ I was quoted $500 at my toyota dealership on my second trip (I went along with the gas cap scenerio on my first warning lights on trip), My boyfriend said he could do it, after searching, I found it online for $313.

• Visitor, , 130,000 mi

P0442, Evap leak - small. Check engine light comes on with the two VSC traction lights. My mechanic ran the Rav's self-diagnostic and that came back with no evap problems. But, 2 days after resetting the warning lights, all 3 come back on. If it's this evap cannister, I hope Toyota will help with the fix because I'm not putting $1500 into this car.

• Visitor, , 41,000 mi

This just happened to me, too. Suddenly my check engine, 4WD + VSC lights came on when I started the car in the morning. Took it to my Toyota dealership for diagnosis, and it was the canister. They volunteered to cover it "as a courtesy to me because I've been such a good customer & have always had my vehicle serviced there". The repair would have cost over $1400, and most of that cost is parts, not labor. It only took 1 hour to correct it.

• Visitor, , 58,000 mi

Toyota dealership wouldn't stand behind the problem. Had to buy online for $300 and will find a shop to install

• Visitor, , 70,000 mi

error code 0446

•  Rookie

Getting the code po446. Have not done anything yet. Trying to find a common solution online. Looks like the evap canister needs to be replaced ~ maybe with all the valves? Whatever that means, it's apparently expensive. Not finding too many blogs/writings on this one as far as solutions go but the ones I have found pretty much say the same thing. Hope it's not too expensive a fix... Wonder if I will get better gas mileage or more power after it's fixed (I bought it this way...)

+ See more reports