Toyota RAV4 Problem Report

Toyota RAV4 Check Engine Light on Due to EVAP Vapor Canister Fault

(96 reports)

The Evaporative system may have problems with the vapor canister releasing charcoal pellets that plug the vent valve. Typically a Code P0441, P0442 and P0446 will be set. The key code is the P0446 which is a vent valve electrical failure. The proper repair is to replace the entire canister with all the valves as a unit. This is located on top of the fuel tank and is expensive. Our Technicians tell us that for awhile Toyota was covering these problems, but this may have changed. It would not hurt to call the dealer if this problem occurs to see if Toyota is still helping with these repairs.

Started the vehicle in the a.m check engine light on VSC & 4X4 lights stayed on. Took Rav-4 to dealer and I was quoted 1543 plus tax to fix the problem. Replacing the Evaporative charcoal canister, Filter and COPVER & Protector. I was thinking of trading in this RAV 4 on a 2013 but if all of these lights come on with just an emissions problem then I don't think I'll buy another Toyota. Codes that came up P043E, P043F, P1578, P2401, P2402, P2419. I am entertaining the idea if I cannot locate a reasonable replacement canister, to take the old one, drill a hole in it with my dremel tool, empty out the charcoal and replace the charcoal with some charcoal from my fish supply store. Don't know if it will work but if it does, I'll let you know. I would rather spend 2 bucks on charcoal and a little work than over 1500.00 on a canister from Toyota. -
Happened once and our mechanic got one from junk yard that passed the smoke test for a total of $900 installed. 6 months later all of the lights and codes came back. We said we were not paying over $1,000 again and traded the car in for a Highlander. We loved the RAV4 but they need to redesign the Charcola Canister and fix the problem. -
P0442, Evap leak - small. Check engine light comes on with the two VSC traction lights. My mechanic ran the Rav's self-diagnostic and that came back with no evap problems. But, 2 days after resetting the warning lights, all 3 come back on. If it's this evap cannister, I hope Toyota will help with the fix because I'm not putting $1500 into this car. -
check engine light came on. mechanic told me it was probably the canister but that it didn't affect the engine so was okay to run with it. but time came for maryland emissions inspection, and it failed. mechanic now quotes $1500 to fix. Would like cheaper alternative! Would never have bought this car if I'd thought this kind of thing would happen this soon. -
reset the check-engine light -
error code 0446 -
It's still happening...Here in NJ I was quoted $500 at my toyota dealership on my second trip (I went along with the gas cap scenerio on my first warning lights on trip), My boyfriend said he could do it, after searching, I found it online for $313. -
This just happened to me, too. Suddenly my check engine, 4WD + VSC lights came on when I started the car in the morning. Took it to my Toyota dealership for diagnosis, and it was the canister. They volunteered to cover it "as a courtesy to me because I've been such a good customer & have always had my vehicle serviced there". The repair would have cost over $1400, and most of that cost is parts, not labor. It only took 1 hour to correct it. -
Toyota dealership wouldn't stand behind the problem. Had to buy online for $300 and will find a shop to install -
Getting the code po446. Have not done anything yet. Trying to find a common solution online. Looks like the evap canister needs to be replaced ~ maybe with all the valves? Whatever that means, it's apparently expensive. Not finding too many blogs/writings on this one as far as solutions go but the ones I have found pretty much say the same thing. Hope it's not too expensive a fix... Wonder if I will get better gas mileage or more power after it's fixed (I bought it this way...) -
I have discovered if you overfill the gas tank (top off) it will cause the check engine light to come on. The way I discovered this is my wife said that the “check engine light” came on after she put gas in it. The computer then reports you have a problem with that canister because the fuel backs up into it. I went to get a quote thinking that I had a problem and was quoted with the same error number with a cost of $1500 to correct. Since I did not want to pay the high cost and it was not an engine problem I decided to wait it out. The check engine light eventually cleared but it takes a few weeks for the gas to clear out of the canister. I confirmed this by overfilling the gas tank myself and light came on and it took a couple months for the light to clear. Glad I held off, would have been a waste of money. Do not top off the RAV4 it could fool you into unneeded repairs. -
Check engine light comes on with another 2 lights ... 5 codes comes up ... gas cap replaced; oxygen sensor replaced for $600 and now lights are back on ... they fixed the gas cap again and said it may be the vapor cannister/charcoal cannister may have a crack in it that leaks or it may be an internal leak ... who knows ... but they said if the lighst come on again, they would have to fix that even though it is currently not showing as a problem or crack and it will be very expensive, BLAH!!! -
Vsc, 4w/d, engine light. All lit. Exactly the same problem. Codes evap system. The part is $ 860.00 plus installation and taxes and any other fees. -
I am having problems with my engine light and vsc light I have replaced my 2 sensors and 2 catalytic converts and I also put 16's tires on and my light still keep coming on. -
The Check Engine and Vsc Trac lights have repeatedly turned on. The Toyota dealer had replaced the gas cap, battery and spark plugs over the course of two weeks and two visits. The lights are on again just 2 days now since the last visit. They do not seem to want to fix my 2004 Rav 4 for me. From my research it could be the canister or the O2 sensor. Neither of these have been suggested. -
No solution, evap canister -
evac system and need to replace the vapor canister at lease turn in -
Code P0456 evap emission leak code, hoping to get it fixed. just brought the car last year. -
My problem started about a year ago. Was always told by mechanic that the gas cap was too tight. I have since which mechanics. I first got the filter replaced and it is still going on. Now I'm being told that it's the whole canister. The cost of part is 850$ I see other people have gotten the dealer to cover the cost. When I spoke to them they just told me the cost. I have been reading complaints about this problem for 3hrs . I wrote another complaint to Toyota and to consumer affairs. I hope Toyota finally does something about this. Seems in the newer rav4 they have put a cover under this part -
Charcoal canister needs to be replaced due to moisture collecting in the fuel tank -
I have a 2004 Rav4. Approx.300,000KM and still going strong. The issue is we have replaced th...
The abs light just went on. What could be the problem? Can I still drive the car?
Recently replaced radiator, water pump, therostat and radiator cap. Loosing approx half a litre...
My 2007 Rav4 (4wd v-6) is 2.5 years old but over 36K mile warranty (mostly highway miles). Rep...
Just the other day my 06 rav4 went down and needs all fuel injectors replaced!! I use nothing b...