Check Engine Light on Due to EVAP Vapor Canister Fault on Toyota Avalon

The Evaporative system may have problems with the vapor canister releasing charcoal pellets that plug the vent valve. Typically a Code P0441, P0442 and P0446 will be set. The key code is the P0446 which is a vent valve electrical failure. The proper repair is to replace the entire canister with all the valves as a unit. This is located on top of the fuel tank and is expensive. Our Technicians tell us that for awhile Toyota was covering these problems, but this may have changed. It would not hurt to call the dealer if this problem occurs to see if Toyota is still helping with these repairs.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 160,577 (69,000–250,000)
10 model years affected: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, more1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006
25 people reported this problem
11 people shared problem details
1999 Toyota Avalon123,000
Too expensive to repair,i just clear the codes and check to see if new codes appear periodically.
1998 Toyota Avalon198,232
Check engine light comes and goes and each time I have it looked at its code 0446. I have not took it for repairs yet but plan on it soon
2000 Toyota Avalon160,000
I have changed the purge valve,some pipes, and many other things which has cost me about $2000.00., but the problem has not solved.
How do you know if the gas cap is bad 2006 Avalon
2000 Toyota Avalon244,000
check engine light on, code P0446. No drivability issues.
The check engine light will not stay off. Each time the code has been different. 1st 2 times to the dealership. This last time to a different franchise car shop. Was advised I needed the evaporator canister replaced. It is expensive and I hope this cares for the problem. ....it seems to me that Toyota would have found this issue..
2000 Toyota Avalon185,000
Intermittent code P0446. I have not repaired it yet.
2003 Toyota Avalon201,000
No obvious sign of leak. rock auto has canister for less than anyone lease. will attempt replace it myself
1997 Toyota Avalon250,000
I have code 446; took it to the dealer and they told me that is was the gas filler cap. Check engine light came back. I took it to an independent shop and they told me to replace the charcoal canister and vacuum switching valve. They gave me a print out of Toyota's bulletin for this code and there is nothing specific. The bulletin just said to replace the above mentioned parts. I have have not fix it yet. I am shopping around for the parts. They are expensive.
2002 Toyota Avalon130,000
check engine light refers to po446 evap system
2006 Toyota Avalon69,000
While fueling, the pump keeps shuting off as if the tank is full. Diagnosis was the EVAP Canister was stopped up and needed to be replaced.
I have done a lot of research and have discovered that this particular vehicle has an electrica...
My dealer states 7 hours to replace Dogbone, Front, and Side mount.
Intermittent failure of a purge control valve in the evaporative emission system can cause the...
have replaced oxygen sensor, vacuum swi valve, R&R canisters. expensive repairs. Now for 5 th t...
I have 71,400 miles in my 2000 Avalon. The check engine light came on 4-5 years ago. Took it...