Check Engine Light on Due to EVAP Vapor Canister Fault on Toyota Avalon

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The Evaporative system may have problems with the vapor canister releasing charcoal pellets that plug the vent valve. Typically a Code P0441, P0442 and P0446 will be set. The key code is the P0446 which is a vent valve electrical failure. The proper repair is to replace the entire canister with all the valves as a unit. This is located on top of the fuel tank and is expensive. Our Technicians tell us that for awhile Toyota was covering these problems, but this may have changed. It would not hurt to call the dealer if this problem occurs to see if Toyota is still helping with these repairs.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 151,201 (69,000–250,000)
12 model years affected: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, more1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006, 2011
39 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 18 of 18 problem details
How do you know if the gas cap is bad 2006 Avalon
Too expensive to repair,i just clear the codes and check to see if new codes appear periodically.
I have changed the purge valve,some pipes, and many other things which has cost me about $2000.00., but the problem has not solved.
Check engine light comes and goes and each time I have it looked at its code 0446. I have not took it for repairs yet but plan on it soon
Intermittent code P0446. I have not repaired it yet.
Code P0446
evap canister code
Nothing had happen before but yesterday too much rain but not flooding today i checked on autozone shows 4 issue at a time.
1)heated oxyzen sensor
2)Af sensor error
3)fuel system fault
4)faulty catalytic converter
The check engine light will not stay off. Each time the code has been different. 1st 2 times to the dealership. This last time to a different franchise car shop. Was advised I needed the evaporator canister replaced. It is expensive and I hope this cares for the problem. ....it seems to me that Toyota would have found this issue..
No obvious sign of leak. rock auto has canister for less than anyone lease. will attempt replace it myself
It has become extremely difficult to fill my gas tank on my 2011 Toyota Avalon due to the vapor lock issues. I have no codes being thrown however it takes forever for the gas tank to fill due to the pump constantly switching off.
Error codes P0440, P0442- Replaced Evap Vapor Storage Canister ($600).
check engine lite on. have code 0441, 0445,0456. have cleared 3X but keeps coming back. Checked gas cap. Will jack up this weekend to check canister
Replacement of evap canister and valve
check engine light on, code P0446. No drivability issues.
I have code 446; took it to the dealer and they told me that is was the gas filler cap. Check engine light came back. I took it to an independent shop and they told me to replace the charcoal canister and vacuum switching valve. They gave me a print out of Toyota's bulletin for this code and there is nothing specific. The bulletin just said to replace the above mentioned parts. I have have not fix it yet. I am shopping around for the parts. They are expensive.
check engine light refers to po446 evap system
While fueling, the pump keeps shuting off as if the tank is full. Diagnosis was the EVAP Canister was stopped up and needed to be replaced.