Chevrolet
Malibu
109

Problems With Electric Power Steering System May Require Steering Column Replacement on Chevrolet Malibu

Problem Description and Possible Solution

Various issues with the electric power steering system may develop and could require replacement of steering column assembly.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 97,036 (12,000–200,000)
9 model years affected: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, more2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
109 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 20 of 56 comments
We have a 2008 Chevy Malibu
when we go down the road the power steering goes out and makes it hard to turn
just started today coming from my moms cancer doctor , it is a electrical power steering
The power steering goes out, all of the sudden. If you shut the car off and wait a few minutes it is ok. This has happened about five times over the past year.
Service ESC error message and then power steering message began flashing and I couldn't turn the wheel. Restarted the car and it went away. Did it again about a week later. Now the steering wheel is "twitching" especially when sitting at a stop.
Out of nowhere, went to start the car before work. Ecm said POWER STEERING. I had no power steering the whoe way to work, and had to park on the 7th floor of the parking garage. Went to work, came out, power steering worked just fine. Stopped at Auto zone on the way home to get some power steering fluid, because I didn't read the manual. THERE IS NO POWER STEERING RESERVOIR, so had to take it back. As luck would have it, the power steering didn't work. I do NOT HAVE THE $1000 plus for a new steering column. What am I supposed to do?
While driving I lost control of the steering without warning and the was almost in an accident. The car is not drivable.
Power steering went out while I was driving. I drove to dealership. They want $1315 to replace steering column. I am in a quandry about what to do.
Sudden loss of ESC/power steering, sluggish transmission response. False low fuel light.
My steering goes into manual mode and I am unable to move my steering wheel. This happened to me 5 times while I was driving, I had to pull over which is the most difficult thing to do while your vehicle is in this mode. It was on the news that there was a recall and I called my local Chevy dealer and was told a letter will be sent out from GM on 4/28/2014 but I still have not received one.
While driving on the 90 E interstate the esc light came on and i started sliding. No extra traction.Than i liat power steering. It was very frightening because i was driving in the midst of a snow storm. The nxt day i took my vehicle into the dealership had a diagnosis and the report states i have a crack in my steering wheel column. It will cost me $685 to repair it.I called GM corporate office and there has not been a recall on the power steering colum.
I have a chevy Malibu ltz 2008 makes grinding noise when turning ...they told me it wasn't part of the chevy recall but the repairs are the same....cost me 1000.00
When I'm driving my steering while gets very hard to turn and the Service ESC light comes on then the powering steering pops up as well.
This only happened one time, so I haven't had any repair done. Pulling into a parking spot on the NJ Parkway, the power steering stopped working. Getting ready to leave area, started engine, steering worked fine and has continued to do so with another 30,000 miles on clock. I have read on the internet, other owners have had a repair done at about $800 only to have the same problem resurface later. The diagnosed problem was at that time, due to water affecting the electric assist steering.
My husband and I bought the car in February of this year. We had it for three days. Took it down the street to wash it. As I was getting ready to pull out of the car wash the wrench light came on and the DIC displayed power steering. I couldn't turn the steering wheel. Luckily I had researched problems associated with the 04-05 Malibu and knew that if I turned off the car and restarted it the computer would restart and the steering wheel freed up. We didn't hesitate,we took the car back to the dealer to have the steering column replaced.
Steering wheel randomly seizes and loses power steering. Turn car off, and when i turned it back on it was fine. A Chevy dealership stated that their is a "special coverage" and they'll fix it at no cost. Repair pending.
At first the guys at the shop said it was my alternator, which was covered by my warranty if I paid the 250 deductible. Cool. They call me an hour later to tell me the new alternator they just put in has to be replaced. Ok. I get my car back and the Service ESC light comes back on after a couple of hours. Then the power steering warning. I take it back to the shop, they tell me they will do a global reset and test it out. The same Service ESC comes on with the power steering. I leave my car today for them to try to get to the bottom of my issue, an hour later they say it is my Steering Column or computer. Yikes! While reading the threads, it looks as though I am not the only one experiencing these issues and it is not just my terrible luck for once.
Power steering light came on today!!
it stop working going down the road will not turn
This has happened a couple of times the power steering goes out while driving. You can pull over and turn it off for a few minutes and restart it and it woks find. I gave Chevy the vin number they said there was not a problem with that vin number. I guess I must be mistaken about losing the power steering while driving. My wife few refuses too drive it.
I had the problem fixed back when I bought the car in 2006. But again I can hear a crunching sound when I turn the steering wheel. I contact GM a few years ago about this problem because I didn't know if having the steering wheel column replaced had a lifetime warranty or not. I was told to have a Chevy dealership check it out but it would have cost $100 for them to do so, which if it wasn't a recall problem I would have to pay this out of pocket. I got a recall letter just recently stating that there is a recall on with the power steering, which sometimes I lost the power and it goes to manual which already happened on several occasions, but there are not parts currently available and they will notify me when the parts come in. In 2004 my mileage was 18,000. Right now its about 76,000.
I was told by my mechanic that the gear at the bottom of the steering column just needs lubricated and the "clunking" sound I hear while turning should go away.