Car Problem Reports

Chevrolet Malibu Problems With Electric Power Steering System May Require Steering Column Replacement

Chevrolet Malibu Problem
39 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010

Average Mileage: 92,442 mi (14,000 mi - 177,000 mi)

Verified

Various issues with the electric power steering system may develop and could require replacement of steering column assembly.

• Visitor, , 18,000 mi

I had the problem fixed back when I bought the car in 2006. But again I can hear a crunching sound when I turn the steering wheel. I contact GM a few years ago about this problem because I didn't know if having the steering wheel column replaced had a lifetime warranty or not. I was told to have a Chevy dealership check it out but it would have cost $100 for them to do so, which if it wasn't a recall problem I would have to pay this out of pocket. I got a recall letter just recently stating that there is a recall on with the power steering, which sometimes I lost the power and it goes to manual which already happened on several occasions, but there are not parts currently available and they will notify me when the parts come in. In 2004 my mileage was 18,000. Right now its about 76,000.

• Visitor, , 132,000 mi

The power steering goes out, all of the sudden. If you shut the car off and wait a few minutes it is ok. This has happened about five times over the past year.

• Visitor, , 88,000 mi

I have a chevy Malibu ltz 2008 makes grinding noise when turning ...they told me it wasn't part of the chevy recall but the repairs are the same....cost me 1000.00

• We have a 2008 Chevy Malibu
    when we go down the road the power steering goes out and makes it hard to turn
    just started today coming from my moms cancer doctor , it is a electrical power steering

• Visitor, , 86,000 mi

My steering goes into manual mode and I am unable to move my steering wheel. This happened to me 5 times while I was driving, I had to pull over which is the most difficult thing to do while your vehicle is in this mode. It was on the news that there was a recall and I called my local Chevy dealer and was told a letter will be sent out from GM on 4/28/2014 but I still have not received one.

• Visitor, , 81,700 mi

Power steering went out while I was driving. I drove to dealership. They want $1315 to replace steering column. I am in a quandry about what to do.

• Visitor, , 128,000 mi

While driving I lost control of the steering without warning and the was almost in an accident. The car is not drivable.

• Visitor, , 136,000 mi

This only happened one time, so I haven't had any repair done. Pulling into a parking spot on the NJ Parkway, the power steering stopped working. Getting ready to leave area, started engine, steering worked fine and has continued to do so with another 30,000 miles on clock. I have read on the internet, other owners have had a repair done at about $800 only to have the same problem resurface later. The diagnosed problem was at that time, due to water affecting the electric assist steering.

• Visitor, , 51,508 mi

While driving on the 90 E interstate the esc light came on and i started sliding. No extra traction.Than i liat power steering. It was very frightening because i was driving in the midst of a snow storm. The nxt day i took my vehicle into the dealership had a diagnosis and the report states i have a crack in my steering wheel column. It will cost me $685 to repair it.I called GM corporate office and there has not been a recall on the power steering colum.

•  Rookie

No power steering hard to turn

+ See more reports