Car Problem Reports

Chevrolet Malibu Problems With Electric Power Steering System May Require Steering Column Replacement

Chevrolet Malibu Problem
24 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008

Average Mileage: 92,068 mi (18,000 mi - 177,000 mi)

Verified

Various issues with the electric power steering system may develop and could require replacement of steering column assembly.

• Visitor, , 18,000 mi

I had the problem fixed back when I bought the car in 2006. But again I can hear a crunching sound when I turn the steering wheel. I contact GM a few years ago about this problem because I didn't know if having the steering wheel column replaced had a lifetime warranty or not. I was told to have a Chevy dealership check it out but it would have cost $100 for them to do so, which if it wasn't a recall problem I would have to pay this out of pocket. I got a recall letter just recently stating that there is a recall on with the power steering, which sometimes I lost the power and it goes to manual which already happened on several occasions, but there are not parts currently available and they will notify me when the parts come in. In 2004 my mileage was 18,000. Right now its about 76,000.

• Visitor, , 132,000 mi

The power steering goes out, all of the sudden. If you shut the car off and wait a few minutes it is ok. This has happened about five times over the past year.

• Visitor, , 86,000 mi

My steering goes into manual mode and I am unable to move my steering wheel. This happened to me 5 times while I was driving, I had to pull over which is the most difficult thing to do while your vehicle is in this mode. It was on the news that there was a recall and I called my local Chevy dealer and was told a letter will be sent out from GM on 4/28/2014 but I still have not received one.

• Visitor, , 136,000 mi

This only happened one time, so I haven't had any repair done. Pulling into a parking spot on the NJ Parkway, the power steering stopped working. Getting ready to leave area, started engine, steering worked fine and has continued to do so with another 30,000 miles on clock. I have read on the internet, other owners have had a repair done at about $800 only to have the same problem resurface later. The diagnosed problem was at that time, due to water affecting the electric assist steering.

• Visitor, , 88,000 mi

I have a chevy Malibu ltz 2008 makes grinding noise when turning ...they told me it wasn't part of the chevy recall but the repairs are the same....cost me 1000.00

• Visitor, , 50,000 mi

When turning the steering wheel it makes a high pitched noise and when i took it to the dealership they said it was the electronic power steering system and that the entire steering column would have to be replaced. They said that other than the terrible noise there is really no issue with how it functions. We chose to deal with the noise.

• Visitor, , 81,700 mi

Power steering went out while I was driving. I drove to dealership. They want $1315 to replace steering column. I am in a quandry about what to do.

•  Rookie

My husband and I bought the car in February of this year. We had it for three days. Took it down the street to wash it. As I was getting ready to pull out of the car wash the wrench light came on and the DIC displayed power steering. I couldn't turn the steering wheel. Luckily I had researched problems associated with the 04-05 Malibu and knew that if I turned off the car and restarted it the computer would restart and the steering wheel freed up. We didn't hesitate,we took the car back to the dealer to have the steering column replaced.

• Visitor, , 121,000 mi

The steering column stop working. I was not able to move my car. I did not know that the car no longer use power steering fluid the way they use too. The dealer wanted over $700.00 dollars to replace it. I was blessed to meet someone whom has a son and knows how to work on cars such as mine. This problem occurred in the year 2011. Now I am faced with several other issue with this car.

• Visitor, , 177,000 mi

I was told by my mechanic that the gear at the bottom of the steering column just needs lubricated and the "clunking" sound I hear while turning should go away.

+ See more reports