Problems With Electric Power Steering System May Require Steering Column Replacement on Chevrolet Malibu

Various issues with the electric power steering system may develop and could require replacement of steering column assembly.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 94,767 (12,000–177,000)
7 model years affected: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, more2009, 2010, 2012
51 people reported this problem
28 people shared problem details
We have a 2008 Chevy Malibu when we go down the road the power steering goes out and makes it hard to turn just started today coming from my moms cancer doctor , it is a electrical power steering
2004 Chevrolet Malibu132,000
The power steering goes out, all of the sudden. If you shut the car off and wait a few minutes it is ok. This has happened about five times over the past year.
Power steering went out while I was driving. I drove to dealership. They want $1315 to replace steering column. I am in a quandry about what to do.
2010 Chevrolet Malibu128,000
While driving I lost control of the steering without warning and the was almost in an accident. The car is not drivable.
I had the problem fixed back when I bought the car in 2006. But again I can hear a crunching sound when I turn the steering wheel. I contact GM a few years ago about this problem because I didn't know if having the steering wheel column replaced had a lifetime warranty or not. I was told to have a Chevy dealership check it out but it would have cost $100 for them to do so, which if it wasn't a recall problem I would have to pay this out of pocket. I got a recall letter just recently stating that there is a recall on with the power steering, which sometimes I lost the power and it goes to manual which already happened on several occasions, but there are not parts currently available and they will notify me when the parts come in. In 2004 my mileage was 18,000. Right now its about 76,000.
My steering goes into manual mode and I am unable to move my steering wheel. This happened to me 5 times while I was driving, I had to pull over which is the most difficult thing to do while your vehicle is in this mode. It was on the news that there was a recall and I called my local Chevy dealer and was told a letter will be sent out from GM on 4/28/2014 but I still have not received one.
I have a chevy Malibu ltz 2008 makes grinding noise when turning ...they told me it wasn't part of the chevy recall but the repairs are the same....cost me 1000.00
2004 Chevrolet Malibu177,000
I was told by my mechanic that the gear at the bottom of the steering column just needs lubricated and the "clunking" sound I hear while turning should go away.
Sudden loss of ESC/power steering, sluggish transmission response. False low fuel light.
While driving on the 90 E interstate the esc light came on and i started sliding. No extra traction.Than i liat power steering. It was very frightening because i was driving in the midst of a snow storm. The nxt day i took my vehicle into the dealership had a diagnosis and the report states i have a crack in my steering wheel column. It will cost me $685 to repair it.I called GM corporate office and there has not been a recall on the power steering colum.
it stop working going down the road will not turn
2005 Chevrolet Malibu136,000
This only happened one time, so I haven't had any repair done. Pulling into a parking spot on the NJ Parkway, the power steering stopped working. Getting ready to leave area, started engine, steering worked fine and has continued to do so with another 30,000 miles on clock. I have read on the internet, other owners have had a repair done at about $800 only to have the same problem resurface later. The diagnosed problem was at that time, due to water affecting the electric assist steering.
My husband and I bought the car in February of this year. We had it for three days. Took it down the street to wash it. As I was getting ready to pull out of the car wash the wrench light came on and the DIC displayed power steering. I couldn't turn the steering wheel. Luckily I had researched problems associated with the 04-05 Malibu and knew that if I turned off the car and restarted it the computer would restart and the steering wheel freed up. We didn't hesitate,we took the car back to the dealer to have the steering column replaced.
2009 Chevrolet Malibu133,000
power steering goes out intermittently. Pretty dangerous when driving.
2004 Chevrolet Malibu165,000
shuddering occurs at speeds over 40mph when braking occurs.
Loss of power steering at slow speed. Power Steering light comes on. ESC light comes on. Turning car off, then back on re-established power steering.
At around 68,000 miles I noticed a scrubbing/stuttering noise when turning. I just took it to the shop and was told the power steering pump and reservoir needs to be replaced. Price? $1,712.00+tax. I'm astounded that this could be happening so soon. I know there was a power steering recall on model years through 2009. I think they need to include 2010 also.
Well when crank the car sometimes the light comes right on are sometimes when you driving and the steering gets really hard to turn
Electric power steering starting to go out in our 2008 Chevy Malibu Classic. It is making a "moaning" noise, at times, when turning left or right. It doesn't always make the soud but it is becoming more frequent. I haven't taken it into the dealer for repairs yet since I saw Chevy did recall some malibus for this same problem but we haven't received a recall card in the mail yet.
No power steering hard to turn
Frequently (3-4 times per day) the anti-theft system activates because the car does not start i...
When I start my 2003 chevy malibu, I loose my dash instrument guages (gas, temp and others) and...
Power steering not working properly. Goes in an out and when it is out it is harder to drive t...
Various electrical issues may be caused by poor terminal contact at the body control module (B...
My horn has stopped working three times now. When I double tap the fob I hear something click n...