Problems With Electric Power Steering System May Require Steering Column Replacement on Chevrolet Malibu

Various issues with the electric power steering system may develop and could require replacement of steering column assembly.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 93,801 (14,000–177,000)
5 model years affected: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2008, more2010
42 people reported this problem
22 people shared problem details
I had the problem fixed back when I bought the car in 2006. But again I can hear a crunching sound when I turn the steering wheel. I contact GM a few years ago about this problem because I didn't know if having the steering wheel column replaced had a lifetime warranty or not. I was told to have a Chevy dealership check it out but it would have cost $100 for them to do so, which if it wasn't a recall problem I would have to pay this out of pocket. I got a recall letter just recently stating that there is a recall on with the power steering, which sometimes I lost the power and it goes to manual which already happened on several occasions, but there are not parts currently available and they will notify me when the parts come in. In 2004 my mileage was 18,000. Right now its about 76,000.
2004 Chevrolet Malibu132,000
The power steering goes out, all of the sudden. If you shut the car off and wait a few minutes it is ok. This has happened about five times over the past year.
3 people like thisFlag inappropiate
I have a chevy Malibu ltz 2008 makes grinding noise when turning ...they told me it wasn't part of the chevy recall but the repairs are the same....cost me 1000.00
2010 Chevrolet Malibu128,000
While driving I lost control of the steering without warning and the was almost in an accident. The car is not drivable.
2 people like thisFlag inappropiate
We have a 2008 Chevy Malibu when we go down the road the power steering goes out and makes it hard to turn just started today coming from my moms cancer doctor , it is a electrical power steering
2 people like thisFlag inappropiate
My steering goes into manual mode and I am unable to move my steering wheel. This happened to me 5 times while I was driving, I had to pull over which is the most difficult thing to do while your vehicle is in this mode. It was on the news that there was a recall and I called my local Chevy dealer and was told a letter will be sent out from GM on 4/28/2014 but I still have not received one.
2 people like thisFlag inappropiate
Power steering went out while I was driving. I drove to dealership. They want $1315 to replace steering column. I am in a quandry about what to do.
2005 Chevrolet Malibu136,000
This only happened one time, so I haven't had any repair done. Pulling into a parking spot on the NJ Parkway, the power steering stopped working. Getting ready to leave area, started engine, steering worked fine and has continued to do so with another 30,000 miles on clock. I have read on the internet, other owners have had a repair done at about $800 only to have the same problem resurface later. The diagnosed problem was at that time, due to water affecting the electric assist steering.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
Sudden loss of ESC/power steering, sluggish transmission response. False low fuel light.
While driving on the 90 E interstate the esc light came on and i started sliding. No extra traction.Than i liat power steering. It was very frightening because i was driving in the midst of a snow storm. The nxt day i took my vehicle into the dealership had a diagnosis and the report states i have a crack in my steering wheel column. It will cost me $685 to repair it.I called GM corporate office and there has not been a recall on the power steering colum.
No power steering hard to turn
2006 Chevrolet Malibu160,000
I bought mine in 06 and had this problem only months after. Had the stirring column replaced. Car worked fine for years then the problem resurfaced. It goes in and out and when the recalls were announced I took it to the dealer along with my sister who has the same year but is a v-6. They repaired hers yet told me that my vin number had not yet been added to be repaired. Since they know about this issue I have my lawyer on deck if any injuries incur due to their failure to respond to the matter. Great car but bad representation. Get with it GM!
it stop working going down the road will not turn
When turning the steering wheel it makes a high pitched noise and when i took it to the dealership they said it was the electronic power steering system and that the entire steering column would have to be replaced. They said that other than the terrible noise there is really no issue with how it functions. We chose to deal with the noise.
My husband and I bought the car in February of this year. We had it for three days. Took it down the street to wash it. As I was getting ready to pull out of the car wash the wrench light came on and the DIC displayed power steering. I couldn't turn the steering wheel. Luckily I had researched problems associated with the 04-05 Malibu and knew that if I turned off the car and restarted it the computer would restart and the steering wheel freed up. We didn't hesitate,we took the car back to the dealer to have the steering column replaced.
2004 Chevrolet Malibu121,000
The steering column stop working. I was not able to move my car. I did not know that the car no longer use power steering fluid the way they use too. The dealer wanted over $700.00 dollars to replace it. I was blessed to meet someone whom has a son and knows how to work on cars such as mine. This problem occurred in the year 2011. Now I am faced with several other issue with this car.
2004 Chevrolet Malibu177,000
I was told by my mechanic that the gear at the bottom of the steering column just needs lubricated and the "clunking" sound I hear while turning should go away.
Lost power steering...turned engine off and back on and regained power steering. There was an issue when I first bought the car in 2005 there was a knocking when turning and Hornbeck Chevroletin Forest City, PA stated it was under warranty and supposedly replaced the steering column. I find it hard to believe that 7 yrs later it needs to replaced again...waiting on Gm to see if there will be any assistance in paying for repairs.
steering wheel wont turn power steering goes out.this is second time this has happened
After i start the car about 15 min. later the steering wheel becomes hard to turn, if i stop the car and turn it on again the problem ends but after a minute or two it turn hard again
Frequently (3-4 times per day) the anti-theft system activates because the car does not start i...
When I start my 2003 chevy malibu, I loose my dash instrument guages (gas, temp and others) and...
Power steering not working properly. Goes in an out and when it is out it is harder to drive t...
Various electrical issues may be caused by poor terminal contact at the body control module (B...
My horn has stopped working three times now. When I double tap the fob I hear something click n...