Problems With Electric Power Steering System May Require Steering Column Replacement on Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

Various issues with the electric power steering system may develop and could require replacement of steering column assembly.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 105,587 (12,300–201,535)
4 model years affected: 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
89 people reported this problem
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
Viewing 1 - 20 of 63 problem details
2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 50,000 mi,
ding ding ding check engine light shape of a wrench , then cant steer. this has been going on since i bought the car in 2008. the dealership couldnt replicate the problem.. my used car warranty w them ran out. putting it in park and restarting used to reset the steering. not anymore. ive been stuck driving it with no power steering for more than a year now. first out of stubbornness i refused to pay, ive not had $ to fix it so i contacted chevy, they want me to pay the diagnostic then maybe theyll pay to fix it. this has almost caused many accidents. this is a design problem! im not paying to fix it! same thing w the cobalts! they got recalled, these need recalled too!
2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 110,000 mi,
under hard acceleration the power sreering locks up, ALL the dash lights flicker and click and the thing just seems to shut down for a few seconds till i let off the gas. This has happened a few times over the last few times to me and my wife. VERY concerning !!!!
2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 63,000 mi,
My 2004 Maxx is at the dealership now having the steering column replaced for the 3rd time ($1,0000 repair bill and Chevrolet refuses to cover). That's right 3rd time. Must be replaced every 20,000 miles or so. Chevrolet recalled several models and years for the same issue, but not the Malibu or Malibu Maxx. Go figure.
2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 98,000 mi,
Lost power steering. Took it to dealer asked about bulletin but they denied any. However after looking at they said that GM in goodwill will cover the cost of part. Still want 455.00 to repaire. I left and went home without the repaire, and called GM and am trying to get them to cover all costs. Please report promblems to www.nhtsa.dot.gov Mabey GM will get the hint.
Have had the steering column and PS replaced 3 times---once under warranty and the other 2 were out of my pocket. Hundreds of complaints registered with NHTSA. Can review all complaints at www.mycarstats.com.
2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 91,000 mi,
power steering failure
2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 95,000 mi,
Power steering lockd up while driving and you cant steer. Steering overall is loose and clunky and scary
I wasdriving down the highway the first time this happened and the steering wheeel just locked up when i was switching lanes, I had to pull over because it scared the shit out of me! I turned the car off and then it reset. Now I was driving intown during a snow storm and the steeing locked up again! It has happened three times already This is a problem that should be fixed by chevy at no cost!
lost all power steering elec. type pump
Dash is going crazy lights flashing and hard to control
2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 119,000 mi,
light came on the car will shut off while driving, now it hard to turn, comes and goes it gets worse when it get hot, but when its cold it drives fine, got letter from gm and since i was over my mileage they refused to fix all asked if i can pay half 1500 and they would pay the rest......so now daughter is driving a dangerous car.....we are trying to save to get it done but by then i think the offer will be gone
2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 92,456 mi,
Steering wheel would not turn while attempting to back out. Jerking/pulling of steering wheel once car had stopped at a light or after parking. Power Steering warning flashed on dash. Recall with Chevy Delaership for 2005 Chevy with under 100,000 miles. Had dealer fixed with no issue and charge to me.
2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 96,000 mi,
power steering problems, whole power steering column replaced
2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 155,000 mi,
Steering wheel jerks and power steering light comes on it did this for a year. Now the power steering will go completely out at times while I'm driving.
Since buying my car in 2008 I have had to have my steering column replaced twice. the first time I was still under my extended warranty, so I was only responsible to pay the $100 deductible. The second time, I was driving with my two children in the car,and my steering locked up and stopped working as I was in the middle of a turn on A very busy road. The dealership stated I was no longer in warranty and said I would need to pay for full repairs... well after a HEFTY amount of complaining, i only had to another $100, but I don't believe that I should have been responsible for any of those repairs.
Steering. locked up while driving. Had to be towed. Garage taken to could not find the problem. Drove car. Around the corner and it drove fine. I drove the car home. The next day I was taking my grandson to the barber shop and the car the car did the same thing in traffic. I turned it off and then started it again and drove it to the Chevroled dealer on the next block. They inspected the vehicle, foundsteeringcolumnbinding causing loss of power steering. They replaced steering column to thr tune of $681.89 If this Is a reoccurring problem with Malibu as it seems to be with all the comments why is it not being covered. To experience a loss of control by not being able to steer is a life threatening problem.
When steering left around a curve, the car jumps to the left noticeably, which you can steer to correct, and it may happen several times on the curve. It does not happen on a curve to the right or when driving on a straight stretch of highway. No diagnosis yet, and it has not been repaired. Our reputable local mechanic has not found any problems with struts, alignment, tie rods and tie rod ends, and some parts were replaced/repaired recently. The problem appears to be in the electrical assist.
2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 100,000 mi,
The wheel just stoped on me in the middle of traffic, I had to pull over it took me a while didn't know what was the problem @ THE TIME i HAVE HAD the car only one year $797 later I had to fist the the sterring wheel column , now I have another problem with the head Gasket it has blown blown apparently and now I'm paying $1887.00 for it!!!! I'm so disapointed in this car if the problms were
2007 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 100,000 mi,
Power steering goes in and out
Mine has been replaced twice.