Car Problem Reports

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Problems With Electric Power Steering System May Require Steering Column Replacement

Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Problem
57 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 2004, 2005, 2006

Average Mileage: 94,094 mi (17,300 mi - 173,000 mi)

Verified

Various issues with the electric power steering system may develop and could require replacement of steering column assembly.

• Visitor, , 50,000 mi

ding ding ding check engine light shape of a wrench , then cant steer. this has been going on since i bought the car in 2008. the dealership couldnt replicate the problem.. my used car warranty w them ran out. putting it in park and restarting used to reset the steering. not anymore. ive been stuck driving it with no power steering for more than a year now. first out of stubbornness i refused to pay, ive not had $ to fix it so i contacted chevy, they want me to pay the diagnostic then maybe theyll pay to fix it. this has almost caused many accidents. this is a design problem! im not paying to fix it! same thing w the cobalts! they got recalled, these need recalled too!

• Visitor, , 63,000 mi

My 2004 Maxx is at the dealership now having the steering column replaced for the 3rd time ($1,0000 repair bill and Chevrolet refuses to cover). That's right 3rd time. Must be replaced every 20,000 miles or so. Chevrolet recalled several models and years for the same issue, but not the Malibu or Malibu Maxx. Go figure.

•  Enthusiast

Have had the steering column and PS replaced 3 times---once under warranty and the other 2 were out of my pocket. Hundreds of complaints registered with NHTSA. Can review all complaints at www.mycarstats.com.

• Visitor, , 98,000 mi

Lost power steering. Took it to dealer asked about bulletin but they denied any. However after looking at they said that GM in goodwill will cover the cost of part. Still want 455.00 to repaire. I left and went home without the repaire, and called GM and am trying to get them to cover all costs. Please report promblems to www.nhtsa.dot.gov Mabey GM will get the hint.

• Visitor, , 92,456 mi

Steering wheel would not turn while attempting to back out. Jerking/pulling of steering wheel once car had stopped at a light or after parking. Power Steering warning flashed on dash. Recall with Chevy Delaership for 2005 Chevy with under 100,000 miles. Had dealer fixed with no issue and charge to me.

• Visitor, , 100,000 mi

The wheel just stoped on me in the middle of traffic, I had to pull over it took me a while didn't know what was the problem @ THE TIME i HAVE HAD the car only one year $797 later I had to fist the the sterring wheel column , now I have another problem with the head Gasket it has blown blown apparently and now I'm paying $1887.00 for it!!!! I'm so disapointed in this car if the problms were

• Visitor, , 91,000 mi

power steering failure

• Visitor, , 119,000 mi

light came on the car will shut off while driving, now it hard to turn, comes and goes it gets worse when it get hot, but when its cold it drives fine, got letter from gm and since i was over my mileage they refused to fix all asked if i can pay half 1500 and they would pay the rest......so now daughter is driving a dangerous car.....we are trying to save to get it done but by then i think the offer will be gone

•  Rookie

Mine has been replaced twice.

•  Rookie

lost all power steering elec. type pump

+ See more reports