Honda Accord Problem Report

Honda Accord Problems Shifting Into 3rd Gear

(60 reports)

Some models have shift quality problems when shifting into third gear. A new "third gear set" from Honda will address this issue.

My honda accord 1991 has a problem with the gears also it only gets to the 2nd gear and does not go into 3rd, it suddenly slips into nutral gear, I have taken it to mechanics and can not make it work, and also the dash board does not mark the speed, temperature, gas, and gear, and also the RPMs??? whats the problem with my car? help... -
Vibration when shifting to 3rd gear -
Doesn't want to shift into 3rd and 4th gear sometimes. -
It just keeps popping out of 3rd. Usually grinds when it does this. -
Car will shift once it hits 40 mph and has a sustained humming roaring noise. I feel for sure it is the transmission, waiting to hear back from dealership. -
car will not shift into 3rd gear,three fixes later still not fixed at honda dealer -
has not been fixed honda should fix this at no charge -
I installed a new transmission module control unit which is located until the passenger floorboard and it fixed this problem. -
not a secure shift into 3rd gear. if i don't apply a lot of pressure and hold shifter in third while releasing the clutch,the shifter is bearly in gear and has even popped out of gear. -
I just had this into the dealer this morning, and they said they test drove it and could not duplicate. It hasn't been fixed. Honda needs to do a recall on 2008 Honda Accords at least, as they are experiencing many problems. I AM THINKING TOYOTA for my next car. -
same exact problem since iv got the car wich iv had for about 2 years now -
At first it was difficult to shift into 3rd gear when on the road. Also shift very stubborn and difficult when trying to go into reverse. Now shifting into ANY gear is stiff and difficult! -
Bought a 2000 Accord EX .. a few weeks ago and I'm already having problems with the transmission ....It shift slightly hard in 1st gear but glide in to second... which caused the check engine light to come on when driving less then 45 miles away ..I drove my car to Auto Zone to find out what caused check engine light to come on. They connect it to a meachine the code read, incorrect gear ratio ...malfunction in value body ... but they also suggested that I get fulid change a new filer .....but wen i took it AMMCCO they said I needed to replace transmission ... -
I posted earlier about my car popping out of third gear and grinding on the upshift. I changed the gear lube again with synthetic with the same results as before - smooth as butter shifts. Try this before getting the third gear set replaced, it's a lot cheaper. - ICU812 -
Transmission rebuilt under warranty -
Bought our 5 speed manual Accord new in 08, started having 3rd gear shift problems at 5,000 miles. It would occasionally pop out of third and grind. Dealership told me it was how I was shifting it. Really? They couldn't replicate it. Go figure. Told me there were no known issues. Tried a gear lube change with Honda conventional gear lube. It worked for about five thousand miles. Ended up having a trusted mechanic change the gear lube and put in BG Syncroshift 2 synthetic and bingo! It shifted like butter! That was more than 50 thousand miles ago and my car has 84K + now. It's just started to do it again, so the wife tells me... time to change it again... So if you are having problems with this, just give synthetic gear lube a try. -
Problem shift in first and third sometimes and fall out of gear in third -
5 speed manual pops out of third gear -
Not a secure shift into 3rd, will sometime pop out and grind. Been living with it since day 1, now have 157,000 miles with no change in the condition. -
hard shifting into 3rd gear. I have to push hard and hold it or it kicks back into neutral. -
What does P0780 Shift Malfunction mean, do I need a new transmission? Check engine light came o...
Not always, but more often than not, I am having tourble shifting into 3rd gear. It makes a gr...
ok, I own a 1990 honda accord DX with only 147000 miles on it. just recently my "S" light start...
It is getting harder and harder to shift into first gear. manual transmission, 304,000 miles w...
My radio comes on and completely goes out while driving. The lights on my gear pad sometimes li...