Problems Shifting Into 3rd Gear on Honda Accord

Some models have shift quality problems when shifting into third gear. A new "third gear set" from Honda will address this issue.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 95,638 (5,000–272,000)
Drive Trains affected: Automatic Transmission, Manual Transmission
13 model years affected: 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994, more2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
62 people reported this problem
33 people shared problem details
1991 Honda Accord- Automatic Transmission190,000
My honda accord 1991 has a problem with the gears also it only gets to the 2nd gear and does not go into 3rd, it suddenly slips into nutral gear, I have taken it to mechanics and can not make it work, and also the dash board does not mark the speed, temperature, gas, and gear, and also the RPMs??? whats the problem with my car? help...
1991 Honda Accord- Automatic Transmission161,000
Doesn't want to shift into 3rd and 4th gear sometimes.
2009 Honda Accord- Manual Transmission
It just keeps popping out of 3rd. Usually grinds when it does this.
2004 Honda Accord- Automatic Transmission150,000
Vibration when shifting to 3rd gear
2010 Honda Accord- Automatic Transmission12,120
Car will shift once it hits 40 mph and has a sustained humming roaring noise. I feel for sure it is the transmission, waiting to hear back from dealership.
2005 Honda Accord- Automatic Transmission70,000
car will not shift into 3rd gear,three fixes later still not fixed at honda dealer
2006 Honda Accord- Manual Transmission40,000
has not been fixed honda should fix this at no charge
2010 Honda Accord- Manual Transmission6,000
not a secure shift into 3rd gear. if i don't apply a lot of pressure and hold shifter in third while releasing the clutch,the shifter is bearly in gear and has even popped out of gear.
1991 Honda Accord- Automatic Transmission161,000
I installed a new transmission module control unit which is located until the passenger floorboard and it fixed this problem.
2008 Honda Accord- Manual Transmission28,000
I just had this into the dealer this morning, and they said they test drove it and could not duplicate. It hasn't been fixed. Honda needs to do a recall on 2008 Honda Accords at least, as they are experiencing many problems. I AM THINKING TOYOTA for my next car.
1994 Honda Accord- Automatic Transmission78,000
same exact problem since iv got the car wich iv had for about 2 years now
2006 Honda Accord- Manual Transmission138,000
At first it was difficult to shift into 3rd gear when on the road. Also shift very stubborn and difficult when trying to go into reverse. Now shifting into ANY gear is stiff and difficult!
2000 Honda Accord- Automatic Transmission148,000
Bought a 2000 Accord EX .. a few weeks ago and I'm already having problems with the transmission ....It shift slightly hard in 1st gear but glide in to second... which caused the check engine light to come on when driving less then 45 miles away ..I drove my car to Auto Zone to find out what caused check engine light to come on. They connect it to a meachine the code read, incorrect gear ratio ...malfunction in value body ... but they also suggested that I get fulid change a new filer .....but wen i took it AMMCCO they said I needed to replace transmission ...
2008 Honda Accord- Manual Transmission86,000
I posted earlier about my car popping out of third gear and grinding on the upshift. I changed the gear lube again with synthetic with the same results as before - smooth as butter shifts. Try this before getting the third gear set replaced, it's a lot cheaper. - ICU812
2007 Honda Accord- Manual Transmission20,000
Transmission rebuilt under warranty
2008 Honda Accord- Manual Transmission5,000
Bought our 5 speed manual Accord new in 08, started having 3rd gear shift problems at 5,000 miles. It would occasionally pop out of third and grind. Dealership told me it was how I was shifting it. Really? They couldn't replicate it. Go figure. Told me there were no known issues. Tried a gear lube change with Honda conventional gear lube. It worked for about five thousand miles. Ended up having a trusted mechanic change the gear lube and put in BG Syncroshift 2 synthetic and bingo! It shifted like butter! That was more than 50 thousand miles ago and my car has 84K + now. It's just started to do it again, so the wife tells me... time to change it again... So if you are having problems with this, just give synthetic gear lube a try.
1990 Honda Accord- Manual Transmission
Problem shift in first and third sometimes and fall out of gear in third
1993 Honda Accord- Manual Transmission109,536
5 speed manual pops out of third gear
2008 Honda Accord- Manual Transmission
Not a secure shift into 3rd, will sometime pop out and grind. Been living with it since day 1, now have 157,000 miles with no change in the condition.
1993 Honda Accord- Manual Transmission
hard shifting into 3rd gear. I have to push hard and hold it or it kicks back into neutral.
What does P0780 Shift Malfunction mean, do I need a new transmission? Check engine light came o...
Not always, but more often than not, I am having tourble shifting into 3rd gear. It makes a gr...
ok, I own a 1990 honda accord DX with only 147000 miles on it. just recently my "S" light start...
It is getting harder and harder to shift into first gear. manual transmission, 304,000 miles w...