Engine Stalling and/or Hesitation on Acceleration due to Faulty Idle Air Bypass Valve on Ford Thunderbird

Problem Description and Possible Solution

If you experience difficulty starting the engine when cold, stalling at idle, or hesitations during acceleration, it may be the idle air bypass valve. This valve helps the vehicle idle steady when the accelerator pedal is not pressed.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 146,400 (97,000–200,000)
Engines affected: 3.8L V6, 4.6L V8
4 model years affected: 1990, 1995, 1996, 1997
9 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 comments
stalls out at a stop light but will restart
I had problems such as: Backfiring at cold start-up, stalling at idle when the engine was hot(when at A light or stop sign-I had to drive with both feet. I had to give it some gas to keep it running while holding down on the brakes.) I also had low performance(Hesitation upon acceleration).Now the backfiring and low performance(hesitation upon acceleration) were fixed with A new Mass Airflow Sensor. But, the stalling was fixed with A new Idle Air Control Valve(Or its also called the Idle Air Bypass Valve). I hope this helps you!
I have 1996 ford Thunderbird, it seems to cut off when its hot outside buts it starts right back up and does not do in the moring
starts the stall and will not crank at all