Car Problem Reports

Toyota Sienna Problem With Door Mechanism in Electric Sliding Doors

Toyota Sienna Problem
144 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Average Mileage: 90,347 mi (15,000 mi - 210,000 mi)

Verified

Models with electric sliding doors can develop problems with the door mechanism. The cable in the door becomes frayed, which will damage the electric motor.

• Visitor, , 115,000 mi

Both power sliding doors stopped working with a couple weeks of each other. After looking at them closer, I realized the cable became frayed and snapped at some point. I had to force the doors closed and have not been able to open them since. Very frustrating having two kids of my own and sometimes more climbing over the front seats and console to get in and out of the van. I also reported this problem to the NHTSB in regards to a safety concern for passengers in the back seats. What if we are in an accident and unable to open the front doors. How are we supposed to get out of the van? We owners have paid the extra money for this feature and should be able to know and feel that our cars are safe and reliable for all members of our family. I DEMAND a safety recall!! Wouldn't there be a recall on any of the sedans if one of the back doors kept getting stuck or broke?

•  Rookie

My power sliding door will not open at all. It sounds like it wants to open when you press the door button or handle but it won't. I turned off the power door and it still won't open. It's as if it's locked. My drivers side sliding door is not a power door and also developed issues. Sometimes it will not open from the inside or outside. After I drive it around for a while it will open. The rear gate door also will not stay up and slams down on me. All these problems developed within a two week period. I have not had these things repaired yet because I'm afraid of the bill.

• Visitor, , 126,000 mi

door does not open self, but once pulled to start will pick up and open

•  Rookie

Mine came with only one powered sliding door and it finally went kaput in 2010. The door jammed up and the cables were frayed. Finally it got some jammed up that it wouldn't close. No way I was spending $$$ on this. A quick snap snap with a cutter and the door works again. It's now human powered.

• Visitor, , 85,000 mi

The cable snapped. When I called about having this fixed, they said it would cost $1,600. Ridiculous. I don't mind paying for a muffler, tires or brakes...but a door? Ridiculous. Won't ever get a car with electric doors (and especially from Torota) again. A notice came out, but it doesn't cover the cable, which is about $1,300 of the $1,600 fix.They've lost my business.

• Visitor, , 40,400 mi

Left passenger electric sliding door would not latch. The door would slide open when the vehicle was moving. Dealer attempted to spray lubricant into mechanism to free latch. I have to have mechanism replaced for the tune of $1000. I was told that the latch was not properly maintained(by me). I should have lubricated the latch system once a month. My response is where is this mentioned in the owner's manual? Needless to say, I am not happy..

• Visitor, , 90,000 mi

The door stopped working, but we did not get it fixed--too expensive. Now we utilize it as a manual door.

• Visitor, , 103,000 mi

My driver side sliding door cable frayed and broke. Now it won't open but 6 inches.
    Very upset!!!

• Power door stopped working after being repaired from an accident 2 years ago. Was told I need a new motor and hinge. Cable appears to be frayed though.
    They wanted $1963 to fix a problem that shouldn't have happened. I've turned off the automatic doors and am going manual.

•  Rookie

The door just stopped closing when you pushed the automatic button on the overhead control or on the door panel. It was stuck open and we kind of forced it to close since I didn't want to drive with it open. It was greasy and dirty in the lock mechanism, so I cleaned it out, but it didn't help. Now we need to have the motor and calbes replaced for $1300.

+ See more reports