PCM/TCM Software Updates May Address Shifting Problems on Dodge Charger

If you experience rough shift and/or shuddering during gear shifting, software updates to the powertrain control and transmission control modules (PCM and TCM) are available which may address these problems. On higher mileage vehicles, a mechanical failure may exhibit similar symptoms. Proper diagnoses should be performed before any repairs or software upgrades are attempted.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 84,637 (4,000–190,000)
Drive Trains affected: 2WD, AWD, RWD
7 model years affected: 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, more2010, 2011, 2013
75 people reported this problem
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
Viewing 1 - 20 of 43 problem details
2008 Dodge Charger - 2WD 79,500 mi,
Sometimes, not every time my car will shudder when starting out from 1st to 2nd. If I slow down for a stop sign or light and I don't come to a complete stop and then take off it slips or skips then catches and takes off. This is all at very slow speeds by the way, no abuse of components.
2007 Dodge Charger - AWD 76,335 mi,
The car will change into 1and2gear but when it suppos to change in 3rd gesr the car don't want to change into 3rd gear
2006 Dodge Charger - RWD 95,000 mi,
At least once a week while driving my 2006 dodge charger lose's power. I can only go 25 to 40 mile's. It will also roll back when in drive like it's not in gear.
2006 Dodge Charger - RWD 107,985 mi,
ECM/PCM Replaced, problem still the same, engine shuts off when idling, transmission doesn't go into gear, Dealer can't seem to locate the problem, afraid to have an accident. taking it back to the dealer.
I noticed that once in a while the ignition seemed "stuck" but it would happen once every few months. Then a couple of months ago it started shaking when in park or at a red light. Now, its shuddering when im trying to gain speed between 30 to 40 or on the highway. I bought it used with 34000 miles from a reputable dealership in January of 2011, I wonder if they sold me a lemon.
My 08 charger does the same, I can be going 70 and all of the sudden my speed start dropping down to like 20 or 30 mph..still need help on this problem
2010 Dodge Charger - 2WD 13,600 mi,
Had the TCM/PCM software update a month ago due to check engine light on and it just happened again 1/10/11. I was accelerating at low speed and it shuddered from 1st to 2nd and I got instant RPM drop/power loss until low RPM, then back to normal acceleration. Car drives ok but I'm taking back to the dealer for service.
2008 Dodge Charger - RWD 54,000 mi,
It seems the shudder would happen at slow speeds, 10-15 mph when rolling thru my subdivision. It almost feels like the MDS is kicking on, and the tranny is at too high a gear (3rd, when it should be in 2), and the engine struggles to get up the small incline in my neighborhood, before it will downshift. My PCM just got flashed at the dealership a couple days ago and I believe it may have fixed the issue. I am going to pay attention to it now to confirm.
2010 Dodge Charger - 2WD 41,000 mi,
Intermittent hard shifting from 1st to 2nd, or exactly at 10 mph, very similar to report #3. Mechanic reset error message in computer but it is happening again.
2007 Dodge Charger - RWD 190,000 mi,
transmission will not go into any gear forward or reverse
shudderring feel when shifting from first to second gear
2006 Dodge Charger - RWD 130,000 mi,
2013 Dodge Charger - RWD 4,000 mi,
I have a brand new 2015 Charger SXT Rallye 6 cyl. When accelerating from an incomplete stop, about 5 mph it lags when downshifting from 2st to second. I have had the software flashed, the valve body replaced then a brand new transmission. AND the problem is back again after 3 months. Currently at the dealer again. Apparently this is a very long term problem with Chargers. I'm wondering if this is just the V6 or the V8 also. Looking to get my money back using the lemon law. Very frustrated in my brand new car.
2006 Dodge Charger - RWD 141,000 mi,
Torque converter clutch shudder at cruise and during downshift. Started after engine removal rebuild reinstall. 15,000 miles driven on rebuild is fine. Doesn't shudder when in manual tcm downshift.
2007 Dodge Charger - RWD 166,500 mi,
I have a 07 charger 2.7l with the 42RLE transmission. Its shift fine when the engine is cold but once the engine warms up it won't shift into 4th gear at all
When getting on the express way my 2006 dodge charger v8 hemi stalls in 40 and the rpm go up to 4000 and i push the gas and in sputters feels like a jerking feeling then it goes back to like nothing was even wrong at the same time my headlights shut off when driving.
My Charger is an AWD 5.7. It shudders and clunks when it down shifts. Took it to dealer and they said they could not find the problem. I am going to go to another dealer.
2007 Dodge Charger - RWD 152,000 mi,
Needs a new ecm computer
Vibration when goin up hill it only last a few seconds and sometimes after its shifted past 2nd. The car is a automatic
2008 Dodge Charger - RWD 132,000 mi,
Shifti,g hesitation and rough shifting