Driveability Problems Due to Internal Distributor Fault on GMC Jimmy

The distributor may develop internal faults. This can cause a rough running engine or stalling condition, the Check Engine Light may or may not illuminate. Our technicians tell us that the distributor should be overhauled or replaced to correct this concern.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 138,470 (76,000–229,000)
12 model years affected: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, more1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
19 people reported this problem
5 people shared problem details
1998 GMC Jimmy135,000
problem: wont start if it rains. i changed dist @ roter,crank senser,cam senser,fuel pump. gets spark and has 55 to 60 lb of fuel presher. ???.
1999 GMC Jimmy150,225
check engine light was on with a random cylinder misfire code.. There was also a distinct noise heard from the distributor.. replacement of the distributor proved to correct the ploblem....
1995 GMC Jimmy123,000
hard to start. Won't Start. Engine dies going down the road. Intermittent rough idling.
1995 GMC Jimmy117,600
I have this problem and it happens randomly, today it was in middle of intersection which was scary Beyond words! Thank God it did after about 5 tries then waiting several minutes started again. I've it had it fixed yet, is it paid by GMC for this problem to be fixed? Please someone let me know as I've no idea how expensive this is and I'm disabled and I funds for this!! Bought it from original owner 2012 and this has happened probably a dozen times. Today was first time while at stop sign, usual when starting car.
1995 GMC Jimmy229,000
My distributor jumped but did not brake any parts of the distributor. The only thing I could see bad on the dist. was the gear had a lot of wear. I had thought the timing chain had jumped but this was not the case but I did install a new timing set, cover and new aftermarket distributor.
During driving, steering exhibits more play than normal
My 98 engine overheated and I tried to save it. I have a 2000 jimmy 4x4 engine that looks almos...
2001 GMC Jimmy sometimes stalls pulling away from stops. Starts right back up. Diagnostic says...
i was driving today and the vehicle overheated. i checked the engine oil and it was 3 quarts low! had a problem similiar to this one about a month ago with the same vehicle. i took it to the shop a...
An oil leak may develop from the distributor o-ring seal requiring replacement of the seal.