Driveability Problems Due to Internal Distributor Fault on GMC Jimmy

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The distributor may develop internal faults. This can cause a rough running engine or stalling condition, the Check Engine Light may or may not illuminate. Our technicians tell us that the distributor should be overhauled or replaced to correct this concern.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 148,260 (76,000–229,000)
Engine affected: 5.7L V8
12 model years affected: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, more1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001
21 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 problem details
problem: wont start if it rains. i changed dist @ roter,crank senser,cam senser,fuel pump. gets spark and has 55 to 60 lb of fuel presher. ???.
hard to start. Won't Start. Engine dies going down the road. Intermittent rough idling.
check engine light was on with a random cylinder misfire code.. There was also a distinct noise heard from the distributor.. replacement of the distributor proved to correct the ploblem....
My distributor jumped but did not brake any parts of the distributor. The only thing I could see bad on the dist. was the gear had a lot of wear. I had thought the timing chain had jumped but this was not the case but I did install a new timing set, cover and new aftermarket distributor.
I have this problem and it happens randomly, today it was in middle of intersection which was scary Beyond words! Thank God it did after about 5 tries then waiting several minutes started again. I've it had it fixed yet, is it paid by GMC for this problem to be fixed?
Please someone let me know as I've no idea how expensive this is and I'm disabled and I funds for this!! Bought it from original owner 2012 and this has happened probably a dozen times. Today was first time while at stop sign, usual when starting car.