Car Problem Reports

Volkswagen Jetta TDI High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems

Volkswagen Jetta TDI Problem
41 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010

Average Mileage: 144,426 mi (68,000 mi - 274,000 mi)

Verified

Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.

• Visitor, , 274,000 mi

My dads Jetta just started giving him tranny problems. Its a TDI and has automatic tranny. It was driving fine the night before and today he asked me to check it out. It shifts out ok until overdrive. It stays in third gear and sticks. It is the first problem he's had out of it at over 270,000 miles! Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

•  Rookie

My jetta TDi is an automatic and i love it but everytime i put it in gear it grinds and then when im driving sometimes when the gears shift the car will jerk forward. any advice?

• Visitor, , 147,000 mi

Woke up this morning, and the TDI won't shift into gear. No warning signs at all. Drove fine last night.

• Visitor, , 155,000 mi

Automatic transmission lurching when shifting from 2nd to 3rd.

• Visitor, , 215,400 mi

Today was a rainy day. Car began to take off in second gear, although I can manually downshift and start in first. Will not shift unless it take my foot off the pedal momentarily over 42mph, after which it will shift
    into third gear, but will downshift back to second if I slow down below 40. Haven't tried to coax it into high gear on the freeway. Also, if I shift into neutral, I used to be able to shift back into gear, but now have to touch the brake. Had codes read, they were 722 Vehicle speed sensor, and 730 Incorrect gear ratio.

•  Rookie

Took my 2001 VW Jetta,TDI, 1.9 liter, to the dealer to fix the problem of the car holding back when I accelerated from a stop. When it finally engaged, the car then lurched forward. Cars behind me had to brake because my torque? diminished and then suddently took off.

I took it in several times, and each time, they said they could not replicate the problem (this was before the 100,000 warranty ran out and I wonder if they even drove it). The situation worsened and I should have been on their doorstep each week until it was fixed; when I came to a stop (this was after 100,000 miles), the car would roll backwards if I took my foot off the break. Also, in my driveway, the car would roll back (drive is on an incline) as soon as I took my foot off the break. I took it back after the problem got so bad that I was afraid to accelerate in the snow because of the car rolling backwards and my having to aggressively accelerate in the snow.

The dealer first thought it could be a valve body; turns out that didn't resolve the problem. So, they installed a remanufactured transmission. I will be returning to the dealership because whenever I try to accelerate, the car is an extreme dog, especially at cold start-up. People behind me get extremely irritated because the car barely moves forward. I have had the car back from the dealership for only one week. I will be sitting on their doorstep until I can reasonably drive it after an almost $4,000 bill. The current mileage is 124,200. I have to report that they have tried diligently to remedy this (after the warranty); however, I have a sneaky suspicion that they knew what the problem was when I explained it before the warranty expired when they said they test drove it--and just plainly didn't want to take care of it. So, I was stuck with the bill. Will try to contact VW Headquarters to see if they can partially defray the bill.

• Visitor, , 160,000 mi

shifting problems and trouble codes po 768 763 773 785 748 758 753

• Visitor, , 71,000 mi

when accelerating from a stop the car needs time to get into gear before moving forward. If we try to accelerate before you feel it in gear the engine will race and go nowhere.

• Profile_thumbnail
     Journeyman

slipping in between gears or hard shifting.

• Visitor, , 196,000 mi

able to put the car in "drive" it goes shifts to next gear ....has hard time going into the next gear and it doesn't get in "drive"

+ See more reports