High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems on Volkswagen Golf

Problem Description and Possible Solution

Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 153,126 (75,000–493,000)
18 model years affected: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, more1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010
57 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 20 of 25 comments
my VW has a delay in changing into fourth gear. it feels like the car pulss back befor changing into forth only however there is no jump in the RPM's. what could this be?
When drive is selected gear starts in 3rd and does not change. I can manually select 1st, 2nd and 3rd OK. Car will move off from standing in third OK but it is naturally quite slow. I have sent email to my mechanic about problem but have yet to hear back.
I have to run my car for about 15 minutes so that the temp gauge is at 190 before car will shift from 1st gear. Once it's shifting, everything works fine until car gets parked and gets cold again.
Hesitation (about 30 seconds)/resistance between 2nd and 3rd gear, pretty much stuck in 3rd once it gets there. Doesn't want to go up to 4th, doesn't want to come back down. It's my daughter's car, recently purchased.
Won't shift properly. Revs extremely high and whole car shakes.
Takesabout 5 seconds to change from park to drive. Usually when car is warmed up it doesn't seem to have the problem so much. It jolts into gear
Transmission slips at speed on highway
Coming around my 100K mark my car started to be really sticky coming into first gear, now it cannot drive in first gear without kicking and bucking. Also the reverse is starting to go in the car
Won't shift into 4th gear
Revs really high and when it eventually shits up it violent and jolty
Sometimes shifts back down after it's gone up even if I haven't slowed down
Car only drives in D3
it has a delay when shifting to 4th gear therefor there is a small jerk that you can feel everytime
Rebuild transmission.
2nd to 3rd slippage
5k to dealership replace
Having trouble shifting and I can hear a low whineing hum until it surges forward and shifts that's my diagnosis and its not fixed yet
1987 volkswagon golf. will not go into gear, automatic.
Bad shift, new gearbox £1500 car scrapped
MY TRANSMISSION IS NOT SHIFTING PRETTY MUCH IN ANY GEAR AND IF IT DOES, COMES RIGHT OUT AGAIN AND ACTS LIKE IN NEUTRAL NOTE YET FIXED
Pretty much was told by my mechanic I have to get a new transmission. Was shifting slowly then basically stopped shifting all together. Put some transmission fluid in and it went back to shifting but I still need to get a new car or a new transmission. At this point I'm looking into other cars.