High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems on Volkswagen Golf

Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 153,727 (75,000–493,000)
18 model years affected: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, more1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010
48 people reported this problem
21 people shared problem details
2003 Volkswagen Golf106,000
my VW has a delay in changing into fourth gear. it feels like the car pulss back befor changing into forth only however there is no jump in the RPM's. what could this be?
Upvoted (29)Flag inappropriate
When drive is selected gear starts in 3rd and does not change. I can manually select 1st, 2nd and 3rd OK. Car will move off from standing in third OK but it is naturally quite slow. I have sent email to my mechanic about problem but have yet to hear back.
Upvoted (23)Flag inappropriate
I have to run my car for about 15 minutes so that the temp gauge is at 190 before car will shift from 1st gear. Once it's shifting, everything works fine until car gets parked and gets cold again.
Upvoted (13)Flag inappropriate
1996 Volkswagen Golf103,000
Hesitation (about 30 seconds)/resistance between 2nd and 3rd gear, pretty much stuck in 3rd once it gets there. Doesn't want to go up to 4th, doesn't want to come back down. It's my daughter's car, recently purchased.
1998 Volkswagen Golf100,000
Rebuild transmission.
2001 Volkswagen Golf138,000
Won't shift properly. Revs extremely high and whole car shakes.
2002 Volkswagen Golf130,000
Transmission slips at speed on highway
Coming around my 100K mark my car started to be really sticky coming into first gear, now it cannot drive in first gear without kicking and bucking. Also the reverse is starting to go in the car
2005 Volkswagen Golf125,000
transmission oil leaking
1998 Volkswagen Golf221,000
Takesabout 5 seconds to change from park to drive. Usually when car is warmed up it doesn't seem to have the problem so much. It jolts into gear
2003 Volkswagen Golf140,000
Revs really high and when it eventually shits up it violent and jolty Sometimes shifts back down after it's gone up even if I haven't slowed down
2003 Volkswagen Golf493,000
original clutch and cable now experiencing difficulties into 3rd gear
2000 Volkswagen Golf130,000
Won't shift into drive. Auto trans.
2005 Volkswagen Golf130,000
Won't shift into 4th gear
Car only drives in D3
2002 Volkswagen Golf111,000
Bad shift, new gearbox £1500 car scrapped
2003 Volkswagen Golf135,000
it has a delay when shifting to 4th gear therefor there is a small jerk that you can feel everytime
2000 Volkswagen Golf200,000
I have a 2000 Vw golf, I've had extremely bad luck with it. Every time it switches gears it makes an extremely loud bang. It recently stopped going into gears and only would go into 5th gear maybe once out of ten times. Today I had to tow it home because I was at a stop sign and then when I pressed on the gas it just wouldn't move but the engine was still running. I'm also having a problem with it leaking antifreeze, I'm constantly putting in antifreeze every couple of days and every time I turn on the car the warning light comes on but I just watch my gauges to make sure it doesn't over heat. My wheels also make this really annoying squealing noise that I'm not sure about, it seems to get worse whenever I make a right turn. I'm going to try and sell it but I have no clue how much it's worth. I bought it for 1000 but I've put over 6000 into it in the past year.
Stalls in 1st geAr and reverse, goes good after that
ikeep on going through throttle cables is is my 3d in 4 years!What would be the cause of them b...
I have a Golf 3 2e engine a \ t 1993 model. The problem is that sometimes the rpm be irregular...
Hope all is well with you? Have a little issue with the car, need some input. The other while d...
-On the D position the car remains with the second gear all the time; it never shifts up or dow...