High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems on Volkswagen Golf

Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 153,126 (75,000–493,000)
18 model years affected: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, more1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010
54 people reported this problem
The nation’s largest network of independent repair shops certified for expert training, quality work and fair pricing
Viewing
of
problem details
2003 Volkswagen Golf 106,000 mi,
my VW has a delay in changing into fourth gear. it feels like the car pulss back befor changing into forth only however there is no jump in the RPM's. what could this be?
When drive is selected gear starts in 3rd and does not change. I can manually select 1st, 2nd and 3rd OK. Car will move off from standing in third OK but it is naturally quite slow. I have sent email to my mechanic about problem but have yet to hear back.
I have to run my car for about 15 minutes so that the temp gauge is at 190 before car will shift from 1st gear. Once it's shifting, everything works fine until car gets parked and gets cold again.
1998 Volkswagen Golf 75,000 mi,
Hesitation (about 30 seconds)/resistance between 2nd and 3rd gear, pretty much stuck in 3rd once it gets there. Doesn't want to go up to 4th, doesn't want to come back down. It's my daughter's car, recently purchased.
2001 Volkswagen Golf 138,000 mi,
Won't shift properly. Revs extremely high and whole car shakes.
1996 Volkswagen Golf 103,000 mi,
MY TRANSMISSION IS NOT SHIFTING PRETTY MUCH IN ANY GEAR AND IF IT DOES, COMES RIGHT OUT AGAIN AND ACTS LIKE IN NEUTRAL
1998 Volkswagen Golf 221,000 mi,
Takesabout 5 seconds to change from park to drive. Usually when car is warmed up it doesn't seem to have the problem so much. It jolts into gear
2002 Volkswagen Golf 130,000 mi,
Transmission slips at speed on highway
Coming around my 100K mark my car started to be really sticky coming into first gear, now it cannot drive in first gear without kicking and bucking. Also the reverse is starting to go in the car
2003 Volkswagen Golf 140,000 mi,
Revs really high and when it eventually shits up it violent and jolty Sometimes shifts back down after it's gone up even if I haven't slowed down
2005 Volkswagen Golf 130,000 mi,
Won't shift into 4th gear
2003 Volkswagen Golf 135,000 mi,
it has a delay when shifting to 4th gear therefor there is a small jerk that you can feel everytime
1998 Volkswagen Golf 100,000 mi,
Rebuild transmission.
Having trouble shifting and I can hear a low whineing hum until it surges forward and shifts that's my diagnosis and its not fixed yet
2001 Volkswagen Golf 94,000 mi,
2nd to 3rd slippage 5k to dealership replace
2002 Volkswagen Golf 111,000 mi,
Bad shift, new gearbox £1500 car scrapped
1987 volkswagon golf. will not go into gear, automatic.
2003 Volkswagen Golf 183,000 mi,
Pretty much was told by my mechanic I have to get a new transmission. Was shifting slowly then basically stopped shifting all together. Put some transmission fluid in and it went back to shifting but I still need to get a new car or a new transmission. At this point I'm looking into other cars.
2005 Volkswagen Golf 183,000 mi,