Car Problem Reports

Volkswagen Golf High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems

Volkswagen Golf Problem
33 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010

Average Mileage: 131,520 mi (75,000 mi - 250,000 mi)

Verified

Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.

• Visitor, , 106,000 mi

my VW has a delay in changing into fourth gear. it feels like the car pulss back befor changing into forth only however there is no jump in the RPM's. what could this be?

•  Rookie

When drive is selected gear starts in 3rd and does not change. I can manually select 1st, 2nd and 3rd OK. Car will move off from standing in third OK but it is naturally quite slow. I have sent email to my mechanic about problem but have yet to hear back.

• I have to run my car for about 15 minutes so that the temp gauge is at 190 before car will shift from 1st gear. Once it's shifting, everything works fine until car gets parked and gets cold again.

• Visitor, , 100,000 mi

Rebuild transmission.

• Visitor, , 75,000 mi

Hesitation (about 30 seconds)/resistance between 2nd and 3rd gear, pretty much stuck in 3rd once it gets there. Doesn't want to go up to 4th, doesn't want to come back down. It's my daughter's car, recently purchased.

•  Rookie

Coming around my 100K mark my car started to be really sticky coming into first gear, now it cannot drive in first gear without kicking and bucking. Also the reverse is starting to go in the car

• Visitor, , 103,000 mi

•  Rookie

MY TRANSMISSION IS NOT SHIFTING PRETTY MUCH IN ANY GEAR AND IF IT DOES, COMES RIGHT OUT AGAIN AND ACTS LIKE IN NEUTRAL NOTE YET FIXED