High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems on Volkswagen Golf

Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 152,530 (75,000–493,000)
18 model years affected: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, more1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010
50 people reported this problem
23 people shared problem details
2003 Volkswagen Golf106,000
my VW has a delay in changing into fourth gear. it feels like the car pulss back befor changing into forth only however there is no jump in the RPM's. what could this be?
When drive is selected gear starts in 3rd and does not change. I can manually select 1st, 2nd and 3rd OK. Car will move off from standing in third OK but it is naturally quite slow. I have sent email to my mechanic about problem but have yet to hear back.
I have to run my car for about 15 minutes so that the temp gauge is at 190 before car will shift from 1st gear. Once it's shifting, everything works fine until car gets parked and gets cold again.
1996 Volkswagen Golf103,000
Hesitation (about 30 seconds)/resistance between 2nd and 3rd gear, pretty much stuck in 3rd once it gets there. Doesn't want to go up to 4th, doesn't want to come back down. It's my daughter's car, recently purchased.
2001 Volkswagen Golf138,000
Won't shift properly. Revs extremely high and whole car shakes.
2002 Volkswagen Golf130,000
Transmission slips at speed on highway
1998 Volkswagen Golf221,000
Takesabout 5 seconds to change from park to drive. Usually when car is warmed up it doesn't seem to have the problem so much. It jolts into gear
1998 Volkswagen Golf100,000
Rebuild transmission.
Coming around my 100K mark my car started to be really sticky coming into first gear, now it cannot drive in first gear without kicking and bucking. Also the reverse is starting to go in the car
Car only drives in D3
Having trouble shifting and I can hear a low whineing hum until it surges forward and shifts that's my diagnosis and its not fixed yet
2003 Volkswagen Golf140,000
Revs really high and when it eventually shits up it violent and jolty Sometimes shifts back down after it's gone up even if I haven't slowed down
2002 Volkswagen Golf111,000
Bad shift, new gearbox £1500 car scrapped
2000 Volkswagen Golf156,000
Started with a slow kick into 3rd, then a kick and a jolt. Now IF it goes into 3rd - the revolutions are at 4800...doesn't want to kick down even when idle stays at about 2000. Sad - great car and low mileage for VW. Transmission shop checked it out and all the codes read that there are a lot of error codes for it. Wouldn't recommend a used transmission. We will never purchase another automatic trans from VW.
2nd to 3rd slippage 5k to dealership replace
2003 Volkswagen Golf493,000
original clutch and cable now experiencing difficulties into 3rd gear
2000 Volkswagen Golf130,000
Won't shift into drive. Auto trans.
2005 Volkswagen Golf130,000
Won't shift into 4th gear
2003 Volkswagen Golf135,000
it has a delay when shifting to 4th gear therefor there is a small jerk that you can feel everytime
ikeep on going through throttle cables is is my 3d in 4 years!What would be the cause of them b...
I have a Golf 3 2e engine a \ t 1993 model. The problem is that sometimes the rpm be irregular...
Hope all is well with you? Have a little issue with the car, need some input. The other while d...
-On the D position the car remains with the second gear all the time; it never shifts up or dow...
ok i came off an exit ramp shifted threw all gears fine and when i went to shift into 5th my fr...