Volkswagen Jetta Problem Report

Volkswagen Jetta High Mileage Automatic Transmissions May Have Shifting Problems

(295 reports)

Shifting issues due to internal problems in high mileage automatic transmissions can be difficult to resolve without transmission replacement.

the car jerks when shifting between 2nd and 3rd shifts - doesn't transition between 2nd and 3rd shifts smoothly -
not shifting smoothly from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd, downshifting also a problem -
I have an automatic jetta and car remains in neutral when shifting from park to drive. If I press the gas, car will go forward, otherwise it doesn't move (or slides on a hill) -
The ebgibe didn't shift at higher speeds. The RPMS would go up without a shift. -
had car serviced, code cleared went away, car shifted fine, after 25 miles when check engine light went back on, the car lost overdrive again, any ideas? if tranny needs to be replaced what should job cost -
Getting harder and harder to shift from P to R or D, and takes times actually shifting while already IN D position for about 3-6 seconds! -
Car jerks when shifting from first to second gear. I'm told I need a new transmission, but of course the warranty expired! -
Car began shifting into gear at 4100 rpm. So at around 30 mph but will downshift at a normal time just a little rougher then before no solution yet help. -
Shifts hard and all fluids are good. -
Slipping at take off -
Shifting problems and slipping gears. Had it rebuilt and it now has a delay in shifting. Lemons. VW has given me nothing but problems as soon as it hit 70,000 miles. Total garbage car company w/ no support. -
Automatic TDI First few minutes driving after sitting for several hours/overnight, the car has trouble shifting in low gears: 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd and sometimes when has shifted up, will slam back down to high rpm in too low gear. Once it's worked out the kinks, it shifts smoothly with no problems. It does seem to take a really long time for the temp gage to warm up past dead cold mark, and once it's warm it has no problem. When won't shift, will rev WAY up before finally shifting up. Sometimes I'll creep along at 10-15 miles an hour till it shifts. Sometimes I'll try driving with RPMs up around 4000 or 4500 till it slams up to next gear. I'm afraid I need a new transmission but am going to try just replacing thermostat first. Do people respond to my post or is this just a place to post problems but no one actually gives feedback? I can't figure out how to respond to other posts or see what feedback people with my same problem are having. -
Originally started at highway speeds above 60 mph after car was running about 45 minutes. Engine would race and transmission would down shift to 2nd and lock there until car brought to a halt. Often the car would be turned off for a few minutes, then would reset. The car would then shift properly at local town driving speeds. Now the transmission appears to slip in third or when car is moving around 35-50 miles an hour on the local roads. NO PROBLEM with slipping on take off and the shifting generally shifts normally. If you back OFF with the gas it generally reconnects and the apparent "slip" catches and tork is resumed. When I originally had the problem I immediately dropped the pan, and changed the fluid and screen. THERE WAS NO BURNING SMELL WITH THE OLD FLUID, and the pan and magnet was VERY clean too! It is NOT currently throwing a transmission code. I wonder IF this is a tork converter problem, a sticking solenoid, or maybe even a throttle body problem. I realize the milage is high but the fluid has been changed regularly and it is never beat on. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? -
My 99 Jetta Started shifting at Higher RPMs (4000+) for all 3 gears. Need a mechanic to look at it. I have no idea why it just started. I had the transmission fluid changed last year. -
hesitating then almost a hard kick into 3rd gear... inconsist each time I am driving the car. -
I have a 2006 2.5 automatic transmission jetta. At about 110,000 miles it began to jerk when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear and 2nd to 3rd gear. At 120,000 it would not shift out of 2nd gear after about 20 continuous minutes of driving. I have been told that the cost to fix it is greater than the value of the car at this point and to get rid of it ASAP. -
Same problem...has problem wth R and D jerks while transitioning from gear to gear......I've had my jetta for 5 months now and It has been trouble since the first week..... -
Slips between 3rd and 4th gear. Will rpm high then jerk into gear. But other times it goes normal. Maybe something other than transmission--maybe sensor??? -
The transmisión shif -
My car is only 7 years old and doesn't even have 80,000 miles and I need a new transmission. The dealership and Volkswagen "is working with me" with the price and I'm grateful but I'm really frustrated at the fact that I even have to have a new transmission. My husband 15 year old truck has never had issues with the transmission. I have also had issues with the power windows. I had to have the drivers side and passagers front replaced before it was 5 years old. I will never own another Volkswagen! -
I have taken my car to several shops and no one can figure out the problem. I have also experi...
I have a 2002 Volkswagon Jetta it was trying to run hot but never did. We had a freeze last wee...
The problem has been for 7 months now, It has gone in to 3 diffrent speicalized shops. The car...
I have a 2000 VW Jetta, 148,000 miles. The past few weeks the check engine light is on and the...
Before I drive my vw jetta I have to let it warm up our it will not shift. Amy advice on what...