Engine Performance Problems Due to Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure on Mercedes-Benz ML430

The crankshaft position sensor may fail causing the engine to stall. In most cases the engine will need to cool down a bit before it will restart but in some cases it may restart right away.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 131,298 (76,000–180,000)
3 model years affected: 1999, 2000, 2001
26 people reported this problem
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
Viewing 1 - 18 of 18 problem details
2000 Mercedes-Benz ML430 92,000 mi,
Car died after crossing the stop light. Took several tried before I was able to get the truck started. How do I fix the problem.
Part failed while driving my 3 year old around in 103 degree heat. Mechanic wanted over $600 to fix and said it would take 7-10 days to get the part. Fixed it ourselves for $70, but totally inconvenient. Hate this car.
1999 Mercedes-Benz ML430 171,000 mi,
Truck died on my wife in the middle of 5pm traffic on a Friday she got help to push it off the road it stated a few minutes later and went about 2 miles and died again she got help pushing it off the road again and called me I called flat bed to come get it. It was a pain to change it but I've had to fix worse things on American cars
car shut off after running a while
how do you fix the problem
I start the truck and 5 minutes later it cuts off. This can be driving or park with engine running. I restart and exactly five mins later it cuts off again. This may happen again 5 minutes later and then the check engine light comes on and stays on.
1999 Mercedes-Benz ML430 147,000 mi,
Starts right up when the engine is cold. However, when warmed up it, and turned off for a short period of time (i.e. pit stop)... car has very hard time starting.
2001 Mercedes-Benz ML430 126,975 mi,
Went i run the car and pase the 80° stop and i need to wait cool down!
2000 Mercedes-Benz ML430 173,889 mi,
My ml has been cutting off when I am at stop lights. I thought it was because my anti freeze was leaking but It was full tonight and it still cut off.
2000 Mercedes-Benz ML430 76,000 mi,
Engine would run rough and shut down when at a stand-still. Engine would not restart until a 15-20 minute cool down period. Had the crankshaft sensor replaced and haven't experienced this problem since.
2000 Mercedes-Benz ML430 148,511 mi,
intermittent no start and multiple misfire codes stored
1999 Mercedes-Benz ML430 170,000 mi,
bought part online at autowarehous.com for 45.00.
Truck stopped while driving, disconnected the battery it cranked but next day it did the same thing without driving just parked and it didn't crank back up. I don't know what the problem is.
1999 Mercedes-Benz ML430 109,000 mi,
Ignition turns, but cannot start. Happened sporadically and progressively worsened. Problem first isolated when stopped, but today had major episode of ML shutting down while at 50 mph on freeway. Still had all other functions such as brakes and power steering, but no fuel was going to engine. Luckily, I was able to pull over and after 30 mins, able to start again and make it to shop.
1999 Mercedes-Benz ML430 123,000 mi,
my car stalled.it stopped when the cranck sensour was changed
my friend had same problem. He changed the cps and problem went away
waiting time for restarting vehicle is approximately 20 minutes. car stops during short travels.
2000 Mercedes-Benz ML430 140,000 mi,
Wouldnt start would have to wait 20-30min to start, replaced and so far no problems.