Stalling and/or "Crank no Start" Due to Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor on Mercedes-Benz C320

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The engine may develop a stalling and/or no start condition due to a failed crankshaft position sensor.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 103,422 (11,500–195,000)
5 model years affected: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, more2005
42 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 20 of 26 problem details
My wife's 2003 C320 is having the same problems. Sometimes the car keeps on cranking but it won't start and on two occasions the car stalled at the traffic light. We're not sure if it's due to crankshaft position sensor failure but it's very annoying because you dont know what the car will stall. Can anyone tell us the cost to fix the problem? Thank you!
I changed the sensor and for a month no problems then did some short errands and the engine quit at a red light you could crank but it would not start waited about 15 minutes started up drove home ordered another sensor first day in did some short runs and it quit again in a parking lot nearly at a stop waited 20 minutes started back up so I assume its not the sensor going to put original back in any ideas
In the morning the car would start fine. After driving about 20 mins. and turing the car off, if will not start up again. I would have to let it cool off anywhere between 5 - 8 hours. Took it to a mechanic, said the fuel injectors were "going" bad, and it would cost $1,400.00 to replace. I declined his service. Since then, the car will stall out at a light, or even while driving. Took it to Advance Auto for free diagnostic. The codes that came up were P0335, P0123, and P0456. I want to fix and keep the car, but I can't afford to spend $1,400 to fix it, and beside, I don't really trust the mechanic's diagnosis.
C320 will crank, but not start, "Check Engine" light comes on.
chk eng light came on, hooked up code reader ( adv autopart ), bad crankshaft position sensor.
car will not start if engine hot.

replace crankshaft position sensor about $40. Took 3 hours to find it with on line pictures aid, and 30 minutes to replace
crazy problem - looking for answer/ideas on fixing prob - was told: battery, starter, fuel, etc
This happened to me twice today. The second time it had to be towed to the dealer. It puts a sour taste in my mouth being I only purchased this car a month and a half ago. I love the looks and the ride but not the problems nor the price to fix them....
Crankshaft position sensor:
For those that have replaced the crankshaft sensor and the problem reoccurred. Consider replacing both the Crankshaft and the camshaft sensor using the OEM parts (dealer). The two work in unison and often supplied in a "matched" pair. Purportedly calibrated together by the manufacturer. Not always available that way in the aftermarket auto stores
Had crank sensor replaced but they charged me $100 for the part and $150 for labor. I got ripped off. It's a $40 part and takes 20 minutes to install. Wish i knew then what I know now, posses me off
failed twice every 10k miles...
I have had the crankshaft sensor fail twice. The first time the car would stall, and the dash panel would go completely red and say battery terminal problem. After a few minutes if I removed the key and reinserted it, the car would start again and be good for a day or so. The problem showed up in the engine core as bad crankshaft sensor.
About 10000 miles after replacing the sensor, the car gave me trouble starting in the morning and same problem.
Obviously these sensors are not manufactured very well.
Just replaced the crankshaft positioner sensor
Engine would crank but not start. Called MB dealer they sent flatbed hauler. Driver of flatbed ask for the key to help load the vehicle, he tried the start and the car started right up. The car would not start the previous three days. The dealer now has the car in for repairs.
The other day the check engine light came on, and a quick diagnosis at my oil change guys, said it was a transmission sensor.

Turns out its the same issue everyone else is reporting here. I went a day or so and found that after stopping at an appointment, came out 20 mins later, and no go. Cranked, but no start. So, started it cranking in P(ark), then as it cranked (without starting), shifted it very quickly into N(neutral). Hey presto it starts right up. Anyhow, its happened a few times now, but only one stall in traffic (at a stopped position thankfully) at a red light.

I am going to replace the crank and cam shaft sensors, and hope that works.
Just had Engine dead with P0335 code car starts once the engine cools down but its scary and risky to drive with this issue, car can loose power any time while you are driving better to get sensor changed at the first occurance
My 2004 c320 wouldn't start after putting gas in it the other day after waiting about 20 minutes it started up again.I assumed it was a loose fuel cap and replaced the fuel cap.
While driving the other day it just shut of on me. I waited 20 min and it started back up. I drove about a mile and it shut off again....now Im mad.after reading some of post on this site my issue seemed to be my crankshaft position sensor but when i took it in for repair the mechanic said it was my fuel pump..have not gotten the car back yet but i will post the results when i do. I hope that solves my problem cause im out $490 dollars.
Car will not start until cooled down
NO START AFTER ENGINE WARM : AFTER YOU REPLACE THE CRANK SHAFT POSITION SENSOR A RE-INITIALIZATION MUST BE CARRIED OUT WITH STAR DIAGNOSIS IN THE MENU ITEM CONTROL MODULE ADAPTATIONS!!!!
Crankshaft position sensor failed, intermittent failure to start when engine was warm. Replaced part and problem gone
Car wouldn't start. Chugged, Check engine light came on. Waited 10 minutes, tried again and car started.