Car Problem Reports

Mercedes-Benz C320 Engine Performance Problems Due to Crankshaft Position Sensor Failure

Mercedes-Benz C320 Problem
21 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005

Average Mileage: 86,010 mi (11,500 mi - 148,000 mi)

Verified

The engine may develop a stalling and/or no start condition due to a failed crankshaft position sensor.

• Visitor, , 61,537 mi

My wife's 2003 C320 is having the same problems. Sometimes the car keeps on cranking but it won't start and on two occasions the car stalled at the traffic light. We're not sure if it's due to crankshaft position sensor failure but it's very annoying because you dont know what the car will stall. Can anyone tell us the cost to fix the problem? Thank you!

• Visitor, , 90,000 mi

chk eng light came on, hooked up code reader ( adv autopart ), bad crankshaft position sensor.
    car will not start if engine hot.

replace crankshaft position sensor about $40. Took 3 hours to find it with on line pictures aid, and 30 minutes to replace

•  Rookie

In the morning the car would start fine. After driving about 20 mins. and turing the car off, if will not start up again. I would have to let it cool off anywhere between 5 - 8 hours. Took it to a mechanic, said the fuel injectors were "going" bad, and it would cost $1,400.00 to replace. I declined his service. Since then, the car will stall out at a light, or even while driving. Took it to Advance Auto for free diagnostic. The codes that came up were P0335, P0123, and P0456. I want to fix and keep the car, but I can't afford to spend $1,400 to fix it, and beside, I don't really trust the mechanic's diagnosis.

• Visitor, , 80,125 mi

This happened to me twice today. The second time it had to be towed to the dealer. It puts a sour taste in my mouth being I only purchased this car a month and a half ago. I love the looks and the ride but not the problems nor the price to fix them....

• Visitor, , 39,500 mi

crazy problem - looking for answer/ideas on fixing prob - was told: battery, starter, fuel, etc

• Visitor, , 98,500 mi

C320 will crank, but not start, "Check Engine" light comes on.

• Visitor, , 74,000 mi

I have had the crankshaft sensor fail twice. The first time the car would stall, and the dash panel would go completely red and say battery terminal problem. After a few minutes if I removed the key and reinserted it, the car would start again and be good for a day or so. The problem showed up in the engine core as bad crankshaft sensor.
    About 10000 miles after replacing the sensor, the car gave me trouble starting in the morning and same problem.
    Obviously these sensors are not manufactured very well.

• Visitor, , 85,000 mi

This same thing has happened to me twice. Right now car will not start and going to change this part one more time. Hopefully it will work long enough for me to get somewhere to trade this POC in to get a car that I can number one drive and not worry about it shutting off on me going down the road, and number two, not spend a fortune on repairs. So far, the car was expensive enough, but now have changed the MAS, this twice, battery twice, and a number of other things, not to mention 200.00 oil changes every 3000 miles. Really disappointed in this car and will never own another one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Visitor, , 11,500 mi

I have been having this issue for about a month when I start the car but when I restart the car, It may or may not work fine. Hit or miss. I am taking my car to the shop this weekend.

• Visitor, , 85,000 mi

I have the same no start problem and changed the crank position sensor, but now the car will start at the first crank , idle for few seconds and turn off, so I try new feul pump relay and the same problem continue,however, if the car is warm then it will start at the first crank, just when it cool off I am having this problem.

347-387-1233