"Crank no Start" Due to Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor on Mercedes-Benz R500

The crankshaft position sensor may fail. Symptoms of this are: The engine will crank—but not start—especially when the engine is warm. The car may start again if it is left to cool off, but it may run roughly or have poor performance. Communicating these specific symptoms to your technician can save diagnostic time.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 85,942 (39,000–145,000)
2 model years affected: 2006, 2007
10 people reported this problem
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
Viewing 1 - 5 of 5 problem details
2006 Mercedes-Benz R500 145,000 mi,
I had the same problem and mine was the crank shaft sensor. It was $60+ but labor was about $300 in labor. I have a new problem with the TCM that I have questions about.
2006 Mercedes-Benz R500 82,000 mi,
crank shaft position sensor caused stalling and was replaced. Problem resolved.
2006 Mercedes-Benz R500 39,000 mi,
I had this problem as well. Engine power cut off and steering locked! All I could do was brake. Lucky for me, I had just gotten off the freeway. When I took my car to the dealer, they also told me they needed to replace my transmission and torque converter assembly, front and lower control arms, and the engine and transmission mounts. My wife drives this car and she is a very good driver. Mercedes has problems!
2006 Mercedes-Benz R500 97,000 mi,
not fixed yet
2006 Mercedes-Benz R500 87,655 mi,
I am still dealing with the car having trouble starting on hot days. Starter keeps turning over but the engine will not crank. After letting it sit for a few minutes then the problem goes away. I can not dupicate the problem in my house or on days when the temperature is below 80F.