Stalling and/or "Crank no Start" Due to Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor on Mercedes-Benz CL500

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The engine may develop a stalling and/or no start condition due to a failed crankshaft position sensor.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 93,878 (40,000–149,030)
7 model years affected: 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, more2004, 2005, 2006
16 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 7 of 7 comments
I have the same problem. My car stalls for no apparent reason. Sometimes it happens often (more than once per day, sometimes it may go weeks before a stall. Usually after it stalls if I wait approx. 10-15 mins the car will start right up and I can drive away like it never happened.

Help??
cranked but no start, came back 20 minutes later and started up. Replaced crankshaft position sensor from auto zone. Fixed and no issues since
My car starts fine at the beginning of the day but once it's driven and parked, it may or may not start on the first or first few attempts. Sometimes it takes six or even seven tries before it kicks over. I think it turned off only once while driving (ever) and that WAS fairly recently but only once. One mechanic told me to only get the crankshaft sensor from Mercedes otherwise he wouldn't guarantee his work (which makes total sense) but I see the same part for as low as $15 from reputable online shops, whereas the part is $221 from the MB dealer.
Replaced sensor from pep boys but still won't start
ENGINE WOULD CRANK, NOT START. TOWED TO SHOP - DEALER REPLACED SENSOR UNDER EXTENDED WARRANTY.
car will start and run for 5 or 10 minutes and then die. It will restart in 1 or 2 minutes or 15 or 20 minutes. CPS fixed this problem
Engine died while driving on the freeway. Pulled over with no power steering. Was able to restart and drive to dealer. Diagnosis was failed crank position sensor.