142

Stalling Due to Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor on Cadillac DeVille

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The crankshaft position sensor may fail causing the engine to stall intermittently, the Check Engine Light may or may not illuminate.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 102,161 (11,000–201,662)
Engines affected: 4.6L V8, 4.9L V8
12 model years affected: 1994, 1995, 1996, 1997, more1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
142 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 20 of 80 comments
After start up my 2003 Cadillac DHS vehicle will run for about two miles depending on speed then just shut down. Car will restart immediately and run perfectly. However it may intermittently shut down any time even in high speed traffic. Mine shut down on the parkway and I was almost rear ended by an 18 wheeler. This is very dangerous and I believe that the National Highway Safety Agency should be notified. This vehicle should have been recalled by Cadillac/GM regardless of age or mileage. This vehicle and this problem is very dangerous. I am going to complain to dealer and contact GM. Someone is going to get killed and I don't want it to be my wife and kids or yours.
It shuts off sometime and u just restart it and it drives really good is this a serious problem because it drives smooth whats the cost for this to get fix crankshaft sensor
My car just turns off/stalls without warning. It always is when my foot is off the gas. It has happened mostly while at a stop or coming to a stop. It has always started back up but the problem is getting worse daily and a check engine light sometimes goes on. This is very dangerious as it happens enen while turning corners. I could get rear ended. I quickly put in neutral and it starts back up while I am still rolling around the turn.
i am afraid the dealer will charge me for thing I do not need.
My car continues to jerk and almost goes dead when stopped at a red light.
My car dies at lights and sometimes while driving but restarts right away
Pull up to stop and the engine shuts down. Then I have to restart engine.
while on freeway after a few miles my car died and would not restart
car intermittantly turns off restart is fine then wont occur for a few days doesnt seem to b any rhyme or reason to it
misfire, rough idle, replaced crank sensor and fixed intake air leaks.
Is it the crankshft sensor or camshaft sensor
engine stalls.........driving, idleing.........must stop vehicle & restart
when i turn the key on my 1995 cadillac deville i get nothing please help
My 2002 Deville cuts off in traffic. It starts back up, but this is a serious problem. My mechanic doesn't know where to start.
I have a 2003 Cadillac CTS. It has off and on just turned off while driving it. Most times it turns itself back on but sometimes we have to restart it. I thought the key recall was the problem and was thankful when u had that recall taken care of. But it had happened since then. It's very scary to loose power steering and brakes while traveling on 95 or any other road. I also feel like it's a life and death situation and it needs to be recalled!!!
My 2001 Deville starts fine. After running for a bit, it either comes to a light, or when the light
changes, the deville stalls. I then have to restart the car. After that it runs fine.
It even happens while driving on the highway it suddenly stalls. But my quick thinking
I put my car in neutral and restart the car, runs fine after that. I was lucky there
wasn't heavy traffic. To restart my car, I have to floor the gas petal so it can start
quickly. I think GM should put in a recall to include the devilles as well.
on freeway in fast lane car just shut off, had to use emergency side, then restarted and had to rocket on freeway. very dangerous.
engine stall's sometimes at idol. no dash lites come on.
2nd car, bought used, have one week. has stalled 3x! the last time while doing 40 mph. checked code. crankshaft positioning sensor and bad oxygen sensor. read on-line that sensors were bad from factory, made in mexico. went to cadillac dealer and reminded manager that this is the exact equivalent problem to bad ignition switches in cobalts etc. in other words, a life and death situation for occupants of car. doesn't matter what year, this is their problem. suggested cadillac might want to repair free of charge. got bums rush. these folks never learn. real shame to since i've owned so many caddy's in past. oh well. wish me luck folks
i have changed the ignition coil packs and the spark plugs due to the codes sadi misfire in banks 1 and 2 but now the crankshaft sensor code pops up and mechanics say there are two but need to replace the camshaft sensors also..what a crock of sugar honey ice tea.
the car will just shut off and this was fixed by a dealership...who can I repot this to.