Mercedes-Benz E500 Problem Report

Mercedes-Benz E500 "Crank no Start" Due to Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor

(15 reports)

The crankshaft position sensor may fail. Symptoms of this are: The engine will crank—but not start—especially when the engine is warm. The car may start again if it is left to cool off, but it may run roughly or have poor performance. Communicating these specific symptoms to your technician can save diagnostic time.

I drove the car to work 32 miles parked it for 5 hours, went to lunch started OK, Parked it for about 1/2 hour than got into the car and cranked but would not start. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and it started and the CHECK ENGINE Light went on. Took it to MB Dealership they said the Crankshaft Position Sensor failed. $ 350.00 later....No more problem. -
Bought the sensor part from Advance Auto Parts (which was around $50), and after a few hours of online research and nimble hands, I was able to replace the sensor which is in the engine compartment. The sensor is in a REALLY tight space towards the back of the engine (have to remove to engine cover), so small hands is basically must & still my hands were a little roughed up after. I had to use a small dentist's mirror to see where the sensor was though because the space was very small. -
A week ago, when I turned on the car, it took a few seconds for the engine to start. It finally did and the engine light stayed on for a couple of days. I thought it was because I turned the key too quickly in the ignition. The light went off a couple days later. A few days later, the car completely stopped at an intersection and all lights were turned on (break, engine, gas, etc..). I tried to start a couple times and no luck. I called the towing company and had it towed to a garage. The tow truck driver was able to start the car once we arrived at the garage. He told me it might be the Crank Shaft Sensor. -
I thought it was the fuel pump but it was the CPS. -
replased it twice -
Only had the car for 3 months & the crankshaft position Sensor failure... today car wouldn't turn over due engine no start -
Had MB dealership replace sensor. Also battery drained, will have dealership replace second (non-MB) battery in two years. -
Would not start when warm, failed sensor -
It's exactly the same problem I have with my 2003 E500. Especially recently with very high temps in Dallas, the car cranks but won't start. After waiting for approx. 20 minutes it will start again. However, the last time it stalled in the middle lane of a busy road! Had to call for towing service but when the car was unloaded at home, it started again! I hope it makes it to the mechanic's shop and doesn't stall on the way there. -
My car stop all of a suddent a couple of times this month and it will start with 20-30 minutes...
An engine oil leak may develop from the oil level sensor. Replacement of the leaking sensor wil...
What is the estimated cost to replace a Crankcase Position Sensor on a 2004 Mercedes Benz E500...
The ESP and BAS warning lights may illuminate due to a failed brake light switch. Replacement o...