Mercedes-Benz
E500

"Crank no Start" Due to Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor on Mercedes-Benz E500

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The crankshaft position sensor may fail. Symptoms of this are: The engine will crank—but not start—especially when the engine is warm. The car may start again if it is left to cool off, but it may run roughly or have poor performance. Communicating these specific symptoms to your technician can save diagnostic time.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 182,750 (60,000–1,100,000)
4 model years affected: 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
23 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 13 of 13 comments
I drove the car to work 32 miles parked it for 5 hours, went to lunch started OK, Parked it for about 1/2 hour than got into the car and cranked but would not start. Let it sit for about 15 minutes and it started and the CHECK ENGINE Light went on. Took it to MB Dealership they said the Crankshaft Position Sensor failed. $ 350.00 later....No more problem.
my car shade in the back window don't work
replased it twice
Stalled while driving, cranks over but no start - sits 45 minutes, restarts but stalls again. Typical CPS issue
A week ago, when I turned on the car, it took a few seconds for the engine to start. It finally did and the engine light stayed on for a couple of days. I thought it was because I turned the key too quickly in the ignition. The light went off a couple days later. A few days later, the car completely stopped at an intersection and all lights were turned on (break, engine, gas, etc..). I tried to start a couple times and no luck. I called the towing company and had it towed to a garage. The tow truck driver was able to start the car once we arrived at the garage. He told me it might be the Crank Shaft Sensor.
Would not start when warm, failed sensor
engine would crank but shut off, replaced crank shaft sensor
Cranks but does not start. Once I allowed engine to cool it started right up again. Drove the car around the block. Turned off the engine. Tried to start it........it cranked but did not start....confirmed sensor malfunction.
Bought the sensor part from Advance Auto Parts (which was around $50), and after a few hours of online research and nimble hands, I was able to replace the sensor which is in the engine compartment. The sensor is in a REALLY tight space towards the back of the engine (have to remove to engine cover), so small hands is basically must & still my hands were a little roughed up after. I had to use a small dentist's mirror to see where the sensor was though because the space was very small.
I thought it was the fuel pump but it was the CPS.
Only had the car for 3 months & the crankshaft position Sensor failure... today car wouldn't turn over due engine no start
Had MB dealership replace sensor. Also battery drained, will have dealership replace second (non-MB) battery in two years.
It's exactly the same problem I have with my 2003 E500. Especially recently with very high temps in Dallas, the car cranks but won't start. After waiting for approx. 20 minutes it will start again. However, the last time it stalled in the middle lane of a busy road! Had to call for towing service but when the car was unloaded at home, it started again! I hope it makes it to the mechanic's shop and doesn't stall on the way there.