Automatic Transmission May Have Shifting Problems on Chrysler Sebring

The automatic transmission can develop problems like erratic shifting, rough shifting, or delayed gear engagement. Repairs for many of these problems are outlined in service bulletins.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 117,895 (51,000–216,000)
14 model years affected: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, more1999, 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
83 people reported this problem
57 people shared problem details
Check Engine light came on and ca will not shift out of 2nd gear!
Upvoted (30)Flag inappropriate
Right now my 2006 Sebring is stuck in my driveway. I cannot get the gear shift out of Park. The car starts with no problem, I put my foot on the brake to move the shift, but it doesn't move!!!!!
Upvoted (25)Flag inappropriate
the car jumps after coming to a stop. the car will not shift sometimes until i turn the engine off and restart the car
Upvoted (22)Flag inappropriate
when car is cold slow to go into gear, have to rev engine and then jerks into gear. Made a whinning sound as well, flushed trans and replaced filter and fluid. This seemed to fix the sound but still slow to shift into gear when cold.
Upvoted (12)Flag inappropriate
2004 Chrysler Sebring150,000
shifting problems
1995 Chrysler Sebring205,000
Paid for rebuilt transmission and it still "downshifts" from D to 2nd gear, sometimes will not go forward but will drive in reverse. Too many miles I guess.
found my gear shifting to be a linkage issue covered under a 2000 recall from Chrysler. Problem solved, no charge
does not shift past 3rd?
The car jump in stop, and the car shifting a fixed when turn off.
My Daughters 2004 Sebring won't engage in any gear when it starts getting cold roughly 38┬░. it will eventually go into gear if you sit with it in reverse or D long enough. We had the transmission fluid changed & a complete flush to no avail. We haven't had it repaired as of right now.
2006 Chrysler Sebring124,300
Never shifts the same some times it has a delay when coming to a stop sign and will have a harsh shift starting again
2003 Chrysler Sebring125,000
Erratic shifting
2009 Chrysler Sebring121,147
wont shift out of 3rd
2008 Chrysler Sebring126,000
I purchased my 2008 Chrysler Sebring Nov. 2013 with 82,000 miles from Toyota Riverside Dealer. In Feb 2015 my car shut down would not move while exiting the freeway. AAA came and towed my car to Toyota Riverside where I purchased the car. I was told by Joe Agassi Service Manager that I had to pay $1500 for re manufactured engine and that I was getting a deal because it would normally cost $3,000. I was flabbergasted that dealer sold me a lemon and within 1 year 2 months I needed a new or re manufactured engine. On 09-18-15 my Chrysler Sebring has 131,696 the engine light came on and remained on and my overhead individual light would not turn off, my car was also jerking and had difficulty shifting gears when I drove over 20 to 30 mph. I took my car to Toyota of Riverside and the service director had a technician drive in the car with me and basically told me you need a new transmission without proper diagnosis. I left and took my car around the corner to Moss Bros. met with advisor Oscar Talamantes 1758 who noticed a recall k16 Auto trams Shift Lever INT and installed the Spring Hook Retainer. He also stated the failed part may be a Stop Lamp Switch Binds and stated he may have to Reprogram PCM with a total cost of $130.00 then changed the price to $260.58 with $30.58 parts costing $290.00. However in his paperwork he stated customer acknowledge receiving original estimate of $130.00 and approved revised estimate #1 of $300 plus tax on 9-18-15 at 3:07. However I never approved the cost of $300. He also included in his paperwork recommend transmission. I went to pick up my car in Friday however Oscar was not available his day off. I will return and pick my car up on Monday. Something seems a little odd with the cost. Can someone explain the difference in cost to me. Concerned Driver that was sold a lemon
Trying to drive and really jerky like slipping. Have not found out fix yet.
Carr in park won't start registering in drive
Barely started today my 2007 chrysler sebring wont shift gear when taking off
2007 Chrysler Sebring153,000
Trans stuck in lymph mode, still not fixed.
2007 Chrysler Sebring127,000
Just stay in 2nd gear
2007 Chrysler Sebring112,000
Trans stuck in lymph mode
After having the head gasket fixed at a shop, we now have no heat. We have replaced the thermos...
completely replaced all brake lines and brakes and houses on my wife's car she inherited from h...
I just want to find out where the Automatic Shutdown Relay is located on my car.
My transmission shifts rough from first to second gear.It shifts good when I first drive it but...