Automatic Transmission May Have Shifting Problems on Chrysler Sebring

The automatic transmission can develop problems like erratic shifting, rough shifting, or delayed gear engagement. Repairs for many of these problems are outlined in service bulletins.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 120,857 (16,000–216,000)
15 model years affected: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, more1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
103 people reported this problem
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
Viewing 1 - 20 of 67 problem details
2007 Chrysler Sebring 91,000 mi,
Check Engine light came on and ca will not shift out of 2nd gear!
2000 Chrysler Sebring 95,681 mi,
when car is cold slow to go into gear, have to rev engine and then jerks into gear. Made a whinning sound as well, flushed trans and replaced filter and fluid. This seemed to fix the sound but still slow to shift into gear when cold.
2006 Chrysler Sebring 78,000 mi,
Right now my 2006 Sebring is stuck in my driveway. I cannot get the gear shift out of Park. The car starts with no problem, I put my foot on the brake to move the shift, but it doesn't move!!!!!
My Daughters 2004 Sebring won't engage in any gear when it starts getting cold roughly 38°. it will eventually go into gear if you sit with it in reverse or D long enough. We had the transmission fluid changed & a complete flush to no avail. We haven't had it repaired as of right now.
the car jumps after coming to a stop. the car will not shift sometimes until i turn the engine off and restart the car
Does not shift from 1st gear
1995 Chrysler Sebring 65,000 mi,
does not shift past 3rd?
2004 Chrysler Sebring 150,000 mi,
shifting problems
2008 Chrysler Sebring 65,000 mi,
around 34,000 it started jumping at stop lights and stalling. now at 65,000, the check engine light will intermittently come on and the car will not shift any higher than third or forth.
2006 Chrysler Sebring 124,300 mi,
Never shifts the same some times it has a delay when coming to a stop sign and will have a harsh shift starting again
1995 Chrysler Sebring 205,000 mi,
Paid for rebuilt transmission and it still "downshifts" from D to 2nd gear, sometimes will not go forward but will drive in reverse. Too many miles I guess.
1998 Chrysler Sebring 96,243 mi,
found my gear shifting to be a linkage issue covered under a 2000 recall from Chrysler. Problem solved, no charge
1997 Chrysler Sebring 124,000 mi,
Car runs fine but when getting up to speed past first and second gear either 3rd or fourth gear slips and the car revs up and won't shift anynomre.
1998 Chrysler Sebring 185,000 mi,
Will not shift out of second gear
1996 Chrysler Sebring 160,000 mi,
Hard shifts and stays in gear when accelerating moderately.
The car jump in stop, and the car shifting a fixed when turn off.
1998 Chrysler Sebring 178,000 mi,
stays in low gear for a short time then it will be normal again
2010 Chrysler Sebring 160,000 mi,
I'm parked in my driveway that's at an incline now I can't put the car In Any gear everything is running good
2003 Chrysler Sebring 125,000 mi,
Erratic shifting
2006 Chrysler Sebring 130,000 mi,
Transmission started acting up with first cold spell this year... when engine is still cold, the tranny is slow to engage when shifting into drive, and slips out of gear when coming to hard/fast stop on highway... Haven't taken it in as of this posting....