Automatic Transmission May Have Shifting Problems on Chrysler Sebring

The automatic transmission can develop problems like erratic shifting, rough shifting, or delayed gear engagement. Repairs for many of these problems are outlined in service bulletins.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 121,314 (18–216,000)
15 model years affected: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, more1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
87 people reported this problem
59 people shared problem details
Check Engine light came on and ca will not shift out of 2nd gear!
Right now my 2006 Sebring is stuck in my driveway. I cannot get the gear shift out of Park. The car starts with no problem, I put my foot on the brake to move the shift, but it doesn't move!!!!!
the car jumps after coming to a stop. the car will not shift sometimes until i turn the engine off and restart the car
when car is cold slow to go into gear, have to rev engine and then jerks into gear. Made a whinning sound as well, flushed trans and replaced filter and fluid. This seemed to fix the sound but still slow to shift into gear when cold.
does not shift past 3rd?
1995 Chrysler Sebring205,000
Paid for rebuilt transmission and it still "downshifts" from D to 2nd gear, sometimes will not go forward but will drive in reverse. Too many miles I guess.
My Daughters 2004 Sebring won't engage in any gear when it starts getting cold roughly 38┬░. it will eventually go into gear if you sit with it in reverse or D long enough. We had the transmission fluid changed & a complete flush to no avail. We haven't had it repaired as of right now.
2004 Chrysler Sebring150,000
shifting problems
found my gear shifting to be a linkage issue covered under a 2000 recall from Chrysler. Problem solved, no charge
Does not shift from 1st gear
around 34,000 it started jumping at stop lights and stalling. now at 65,000, the check engine light will intermittently come on and the car will not shift any higher than third or forth.
The car jump in stop, and the car shifting a fixed when turn off.
2006 Chrysler Sebring124,300
Never shifts the same some times it has a delay when coming to a stop sign and will have a harsh shift starting again
1998 Chrysler Sebring185,000
Will not shift out of second gear
1996 Chrysler Sebring160,000
Hard shifts and stays in gear when accelerating moderately.
has a thump shifting down from drive around 35 mph
1998 Chrysler Sebring178,000
stays in low gear for a short time then it will be normal again
1998 Chrysler Sebring161,118
running in lower gear at high rpm's
I am getting problem with automatic gear change ..and my car stucks in road
2010 Chrysler Sebring160,000
I'm parked in my driveway that's at an incline now I can't put the car In Any gear everything is running good
After having the head gasket fixed at a shop, we now have no heat. We have replaced the thermostat, water pump, and heater core. Seems the heater core is not ge...
completely replaced all brake lines and brakes and houses on my wife's car she inherited from h...
It doesn't shift right in low speed, what should I do about it? is it because of the loose drai...
I just want to find out where the Automatic Shutdown Relay is located on my car.