Automatic Transmission May Have Shifting Problems on Chrysler Sebring

The automatic transmission can develop problems like erratic shifting, rough shifting, or delayed gear engagement. Repairs for many of these problems are outlined in service bulletins.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 124,328 (65,000–216,000)
11 model years affected: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, more1999, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
60 people reported this problem
40 people shared problem details
Right now my 2006 Sebring is stuck in my driveway. I cannot get the gear shift out of Park. The car starts with no problem, I put my foot on the brake to move the shift, but it doesn't move!!!!!
13 people like thisFlag inappropiate
the car jumps after coming to a stop. the car will not shift sometimes until i turn the engine off and restart the car
13 people like thisFlag inappropiate
Check Engine light came on and ca will not shift out of 2nd gear!
11 people like thisFlag inappropiate
when car is cold slow to go into gear, have to rev engine and then jerks into gear. Made a whinning sound as well, flushed trans and replaced filter and fluid. This seemed to fix the sound but still slow to shift into gear when cold.
9 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2004 Chrysler Sebring150,000
shifting problems
6 people like thisFlag inappropiate
found my gear shifting to be a linkage issue covered under a 2000 recall from Chrysler. Problem solved, no charge
4 people like thisFlag inappropiate
1995 Chrysler Sebring205,000
Paid for rebuilt transmission and it still "downshifts" from D to 2nd gear, sometimes will not go forward but will drive in reverse. Too many miles I guess.
4 people like thisFlag inappropiate
does not shift past 3rd?
2 people like thisFlag inappropiate
The car jump in stop, and the car shifting a fixed when turn off.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
2006 Chrysler Sebring124,300
Never shifts the same some times it has a delay when coming to a stop sign and will have a harsh shift starting again
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
it wont shift from low to drive i changed the shift solonid and the output speed sensor help
2007 Chrysler Sebring100,000
driving and will shift hard
1997 Chrysler Sebring138,000
It won't come out of second gear if it does it quits pulling
Not shifting past 2nd gear.
Perfectly fine until it warms up, you would swear there is no problem, then it starts to smell and refuses to shift out of 2nd
Transmission slips slowly into reverse, and is now stuck in reverse. Shifter won't move.
On a cold start the transmission does not engage. I rev the engine after putting in "drive" and then the engine will jump. After about 5 mins the car will run normal.
2006 Chrysler Sebring164,000
downshift while at road speed , will not shift up after this.
Delayed shifts at times rough shifting
Check Engine Light is on and suck in 1st gear
After having the head gasket fixed at a shop, we now have no heat. We have replaced the thermos...
completely replaced all brake lines and brakes and houses on my wife's car she inherited from h...
I just want to find out where the Automatic Shutdown Relay is located on my car.
car can not be taken out of park. Is the gear shift module/shifter assembly covered under the p...
My transmission shifts rough from first to second gear.It shifts good when I first drive it but...