Automatic Transmission May Have Shifting Problems on Chrysler Sebring

The automatic transmission can develop problems like erratic shifting, rough shifting, or delayed gear engagement. Repairs for many of these problems are outlined in service bulletins.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 120,953 (53,000–216,000)
13 model years affected: 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, more1999, 2000, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
72 people reported this problem
47 people shared problem details
Right now my 2006 Sebring is stuck in my driveway. I cannot get the gear shift out of Park. The car starts with no problem, I put my foot on the brake to move the shift, but it doesn't move!!!!!
Upvoted (23)Flag Inappropriate
Check Engine light came on and ca will not shift out of 2nd gear!
Upvoted (22)Flag Inappropriate
the car jumps after coming to a stop. the car will not shift sometimes until i turn the engine off and restart the car
Upvoted (19)Flag Inappropriate
when car is cold slow to go into gear, have to rev engine and then jerks into gear. Made a whinning sound as well, flushed trans and replaced filter and fluid. This seemed to fix the sound but still slow to shift into gear when cold.
Upvoted (10)Flag Inappropriate
2004 Chrysler Sebring150,000
shifting problems
1995 Chrysler Sebring205,000
Paid for rebuilt transmission and it still "downshifts" from D to 2nd gear, sometimes will not go forward but will drive in reverse. Too many miles I guess.
found my gear shifting to be a linkage issue covered under a 2000 recall from Chrysler. Problem solved, no charge
does not shift past 3rd?
The car jump in stop, and the car shifting a fixed when turn off.
My Daughters 2004 Sebring won't engage in any gear when it starts getting cold roughly 38°. it will eventually go into gear if you sit with it in reverse or D long enough. We had the transmission fluid changed & a complete flush to no avail. We haven't had it repaired as of right now.
2006 Chrysler Sebring124,300
Never shifts the same some times it has a delay when coming to a stop sign and will have a harsh shift starting again
Shifting is rough.
2006 Chrysler Sebring103,000
The car starts. The shifter moves from park to drive or reverse, and nothing happens.
Delayed shifting from park to reverse or from park to drive. It doesn't happen all the time but most certainly at inopportune times. Its still not fixed.
tranmission shifts hard
Vehicle parked and does not respond to moving the shifter.
Won't shift out of park
Transmission will not shift into higher gears very rough shifting
2006 Chrysler Sebring187,000
shifting hard and idling fast
it wont shift from low to drive i changed the shift solonid and the output speed sensor help
After having the head gasket fixed at a shop, we now have no heat. We have replaced the thermos...
completely replaced all brake lines and brakes and houses on my wife's car she inherited from h...
I just want to find out where the Automatic Shutdown Relay is located on my car.
car can not be taken out of park. Is the gear shift module/shifter assembly covered under the p...
My transmission shifts rough from first to second gear.It shifts good when I first drive it but...