Steering Gearbox Replacement
It may become necessary to replace the steering gearbox if it has become worn. Wear in the gearbox may result in excess "play" in the steering that could make it not respond as quickly as it should. Wear in the steering gearbox could also cause an oil leak.
How to Replace the Steering Gearbox
- Remove the steering shaft and steering linkage
- Remove power steering lines if the vehicle is equipped
- Remove the hardware securing the steering gearbox to the chassis
- Remove the steering gearbox
- Install the new gearbox
- Check the wheel alignment and make adjustments if necessary.
The steering gearbox should be inspected closely when a wheel alignment is performed, at least once a year.