Sensor Problems May Cause SRS Light To Turn On on Acura RL

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The Airbag (SRS) warning light may illuminate due to one or more failed sensors. Our technicians recommend complete diagnoses of any stored fault codes because these sensors can be very expensive to replace.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 129,805 (21,000–271,700)
10 model years affected: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, more2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
82 people reported this problem
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
Viewing 1 - 20 of 42 comments
One day SRS light came on and stayed on. dealer quoted $1800-$1950 to replace the whole airbag system. I think it should be covered by life time warranty or recall.
This is an ongoing problem since I owned the car. I finally made a push button with a plug and in 30 seconds I can reset the light whenever it activates. I keep the button and instructions in my glove box for whenever it occurs.
Problem diagnosed as bad seat belt sensor. I was told at the dealership that the light being on disabled the airbags in the car as well. Shoddy design if a bad sensor on the passenger side seat belt disabled the driver's side airbag. Bad design if the seat belt sensor is bad, but it still shuts down the airbag, even though there's nothing wrong with either the seat belt, or the air bag. Sounds like a problem that could endanger lives.
Same issue on a 2000 with 150K. SRS light on and have traced it to a seat sensor. Like lots of things, electronic parts are far more generic than one might believe when it comes to switches and such.

Once I dig into it and determine the specs, I'll try to source it independently of the Honda supply chain.
SRS light, turns out if it needs OPDS sensor, part is $730, about $960 with labor! if just unit, around $400. Warranty for this expired 2010. We just bought this car for my son! It Was a great deal....then this! Good luck if this happens to you!
Has it chcecked and was told it was a sensor under the passengers seat, which could be replaced for $355. Is there a less expensive price for this.
My SRS light came on and I took it to the dealer who informed me that it was sensors in my passanger seat had gone bad . He said it would be 800.00 to fix. I did some checking on my own and discovered that the warranty on these parts had been extended for 10 years or I believe 150,000 miles. Once I called and told him about my findings he then confirmed it and there was no charge. (Thankfully I checked on my own before just going ahead and getting it repaired ) my SRS came on again ater 80,000 miles . This time it was a faukty sealt belt sensor and again there was no charge. I Love my Acura and have had very little problems. I purchased it new in 2002 and just now have had a few problems.
SRS light stay on
Check Air Bag Warning Indicator always on.
SRS stays on. appears to be a defect but surprised to see the dealers would charge to fit it. it is a safety hazard. pretty sure there are more acura owners being impacted but since it doesn't interfere with driving so people just ignore this problem. other than that my 16 years old acura is doing fine
air bag light came on and will not go out.
I have several codes on my 1999 Acura Rl. 1)P0155 2)P0174 3)p1204 4)P0401=EGR VALVE Also, SRS Light is On, TCS Light is on, ABS Light is on. Car still drives good but, I found out that the O2 sensor after the catalyis converter needs replacing. EGR Valve is 149.99, O2 sensor is 168.99 Direct fit Possible#4 Cylinder coil is misfiring.
Red SRS light is on in my 2000 Acura
got srs light and error messages couple years ago. Car was under mileage warranty when error message occurred which is still on my Error Message Log. I took it to dealer thinking that any type seatbelt error is to be covered. I was told it was not. I was quoted over a $1,000 without a limit as they did not have firm quote. I did not want to pay the money and kept thinking I would find recall or some other group experiencing same problem and hopefully get ACURA to take care of this problem. I will check error numbers to list here tomorrow.
SRS light came on and stayed on. Found it to be the sensor inside the passenger seat. The repair was over $500.00. The part alone is $370.00. It is not covered under the lifetime extension that the seat belt sensor is. The entire air bag system shuts down when this light is on.
OPDS Sensor triggers error code 15-1. Warranty extension only covers up to 10 years or 157500 whichever comes first. Cost to replace about $1200!!
Will my car pass smog if the srs light is on?
SRS warning light on dash came on, dealership diagnosed sensor in passenger seat was the fault. Had 2 sensors and to replace both was $1800. Without the repair my insurance company said my rates would go up and to operate the car without the safety feature of airbags could be seen as gross negligence. Oh joy!
SRS warning light is on... Haven't had time for anyone to look at it though.
Light and acura link message appear. Light says passenger airbag is off when there is a person in the seat. Sometimes intermittent but usually on. Have reset the cars memory by disconnecting the battery for over 15 minutes. Turned off but came on again. Acura said it may be seat belt sensor and advised me that has a lifetime warranty but don't know if that's where the problem lies.