Sensor Problems May Cause SRS Light To Turn On on Acura RL

The Airbag (SRS) warning light may illuminate due to one or more failed sensors. Our technicians recommend complete diagnoses of any stored fault codes because these sensors can be very expensive to replace.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 126,527 (21,000–271,700)
9 model years affected: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, more2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
49 people reported this problem
31 people shared problem details
2002 Acura RL155,000
One day SRS light came on and stayed on. dealer quoted $1800-$1950 to replace the whole airbag system. I think it should be covered by life time warranty or recall.
10 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2000 Acura RL113,000
SRS light, turns out if it needs OPDS sensor, part is $730, about $960 with labor! if just unit, around $400. Warranty for this expired 2010. We just bought this car for my son! It Was a great deal....then this! Good luck if this happens to you!
8 people like thisFlag inappropiate
Same issue on a 2000 with 150K. SRS light on and have traced it to a seat sensor. Like lots of things, electronic parts are far more generic than one might believe when it comes to switches and such. Once I dig into it and determine the specs, I'll try to source it independently of the Honda supply chain.
8 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2000 Acura RL118,000
Problem diagnosed as bad seat belt sensor. I was told at the dealership that the light being on disabled the airbags in the car as well. Shoddy design if a bad sensor on the passenger side seat belt disabled the driver's side airbag. Bad design if the seat belt sensor is bad, but it still shuts down the airbag, even though there's nothing wrong with either the seat belt, or the air bag. Sounds like a problem that could endanger lives.
7 people like thisFlag inappropiate
Has it chcecked and was told it was a sensor under the passengers seat, which could be replaced for $355. Is there a less expensive price for this.
6 people like thisFlag inappropiate
SRS light stay on
6 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2000 Acura RL50,000
This is an ongoing problem since I owned the car. I finally made a push button with a plug and in 30 seconds I can reset the light whenever it activates. I keep the button and instructions in my glove box for whenever it occurs.
5 people like thisFlag inappropiate
2002 Acura RL70,000
My SRS light came on and I took it to the dealer who informed me that it was sensors in my passanger seat had gone bad . He said it would be 800.00 to fix. I did some checking on my own and discovered that the warranty on these parts had been extended for 10 years or I believe 150,000 miles. Once I called and told him about my findings he then confirmed it and there was no charge. (Thankfully I checked on my own before just going ahead and getting it repaired ) my SRS came on again ater 80,000 miles . This time it was a faukty sealt belt sensor and again there was no charge. I Love my Acura and have had very little problems. I purchased it new in 2002 and just now have had a few problems.
2 people like thisFlag inappropiate
SRS stays on. appears to be a defect but surprised to see the dealers would charge to fit it. it is a safety hazard. pretty sure there are more acura owners being impacted but since it doesn't interfere with driving so people just ignore this problem. other than that my 16 years old acura is doing fine
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
I have several codes on my 1999 Acura Rl. 1)P0155 2)P0174 3)p1204 4)P0401=EGR VALVE Also, SRS Light is On, TCS Light is on, ABS Light is on. Car still drives good but, I found out that the O2 sensor after the catalyis converter needs replacing. EGR Valve is 149.99, O2 sensor is 168.99 Direct fit Possible#4 Cylinder coil is misfiring.
1 person likes thisFlag inappropiate
2003 Acura RL57,453
SRS light came on and stayed on. Found it to be the sensor inside the passenger seat. The repair was over $500.00. The part alone is $370.00. It is not covered under the lifetime extension that the seat belt sensor is. The entire air bag system shuts down when this light is on.
2005 Acura RL80,000
SRS warning light is on... Haven't had time for anyone to look at it though.
2006 Acura RL139,000
Light and acura link message appear. Light says passenger airbag is off when there is a person in the seat. Sometimes intermittent but usually on. Have reset the cars memory by disconnecting the battery for over 15 minutes. Turned off but came on again. Acura said it may be seat belt sensor and advised me that has a lifetime warranty but don't know if that's where the problem lies.
2005 Acura RL145,000
I got a second message in the dashboard to check airbag system. I will be bringing to the dealer to see what they say. This should be covered by them or it will be gone.
All the light when on after I scan it whit scam tool
2000 Acura RL131,680
SRS light, Acura found SRS OPDs sensor at fault and SRS unit gone bad.
2006 Acura RL200,000
First the fasten seat belt light came on and would not go out. That lasted for about a day. Then the Check Airbag System light came on.
2000 Acura RL110,000
Haven't been able to fix it yet!
2002 Acura RL125,000
12 year old RL, 125,000 miles...I live in NC and the car HAS NEVER PASSED NC INSPECTION due to the SRS light being on...Every year the car has to go to the dealership and be repaired usually in excess of $550.00..Within 100 miles after the repair the light comes back on. I have been researching the problem on AcuraZine so I CAN TELL THEM WHAT TO FIX..ie..seatbelt..This is a wonderful car and I love it...However, I have had SRS problems since Flow Motors replaced the ??main computer module??? apx 7 yrs ago..Cost more than $900.00..Last year the steering column up/down switch failed...I do not know if they removed the dashboard to diagnose this or what..Since that time I have had numerous problems ..heat fan does not blow from middle vents, left and right clock lights work randomly, controls for Radio/CD/Volume on steering column perform the wrong function randomly..ie..I use volume control and the CD switches tracks, CD skips when I use the Cruise functions on the steering column...I never realize these "new" glitches/problems until I drive on a long trip...generally I run errands within 10 miles of my home..so I just deal with it....The engine is great and I will drive the car until the engine dies..
SRS LIGHT STAYS ON I TOOK IT TO THE DEALER THEY SAID THEY COULD NOT FIND OUT WHY BUT WOULD START REPLACING PARTS IF I WANTED TO
my srs light is on how can i remove it? what can couse the srs light to turn on?
It started when I started the car. I have 56000 miles and everything seems fine
ABS light comes on sometimes and stays on after starting
My 00 Acura RL (172k) is having an electrical problem. The 1st this I noticed (which is minor)...
Just replaced the fuel injection relay, car starts and runs fine, but now I'm getting the SRS l...