Sensor Problems May Cause SRS Light To Turn On on Acura RL

The Airbag (SRS) warning light may illuminate due to one or more failed sensors. Our technicians recommend complete diagnoses of any stored fault codes because these sensors can be very expensive to replace.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 129,255 (21,000–271,700)
10 model years affected: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, more2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007
66 people reported this problem
39 people shared problem details
2002 Acura RL155,000
One day SRS light came on and stayed on. dealer quoted $1800-$1950 to replace the whole airbag system. I think it should be covered by life time warranty or recall.
Upvoted (12)Flag inappropriate
2000 Acura RL113,000
SRS light, turns out if it needs OPDS sensor, part is $730, about $960 with labor! if just unit, around $400. Warranty for this expired 2010. We just bought this car for my son! It Was a great deal....then this! Good luck if this happens to you!
Same issue on a 2000 with 150K. SRS light on and have traced it to a seat sensor. Like lots of things, electronic parts are far more generic than one might believe when it comes to switches and such. Once I dig into it and determine the specs, I'll try to source it independently of the Honda supply chain.
2000 Acura RL50,000
This is an ongoing problem since I owned the car. I finally made a push button with a plug and in 30 seconds I can reset the light whenever it activates. I keep the button and instructions in my glove box for whenever it occurs.
2000 Acura RL118,000
Problem diagnosed as bad seat belt sensor. I was told at the dealership that the light being on disabled the airbags in the car as well. Shoddy design if a bad sensor on the passenger side seat belt disabled the driver's side airbag. Bad design if the seat belt sensor is bad, but it still shuts down the airbag, even though there's nothing wrong with either the seat belt, or the air bag. Sounds like a problem that could endanger lives.
Has it chcecked and was told it was a sensor under the passengers seat, which could be replaced for $355. Is there a less expensive price for this.
SRS light stay on
2002 Acura RL70,000
My SRS light came on and I took it to the dealer who informed me that it was sensors in my passanger seat had gone bad . He said it would be 800.00 to fix. I did some checking on my own and discovered that the warranty on these parts had been extended for 10 years or I believe 150,000 miles. Once I called and told him about my findings he then confirmed it and there was no charge. (Thankfully I checked on my own before just going ahead and getting it repaired ) my SRS came on again ater 80,000 miles . This time it was a faukty sealt belt sensor and again there was no charge. I Love my Acura and have had very little problems. I purchased it new in 2002 and just now have had a few problems.
SRS stays on. appears to be a defect but surprised to see the dealers would charge to fit it. it is a safety hazard. pretty sure there are more acura owners being impacted but since it doesn't interfere with driving so people just ignore this problem. other than that my 16 years old acura is doing fine
I have several codes on my 1999 Acura Rl. 1)P0155 2)P0174 3)p1204 4)P0401=EGR VALVE Also, SRS Light is On, TCS Light is on, ABS Light is on. Car still drives good but, I found out that the O2 sensor after the catalyis converter needs replacing. EGR Valve is 149.99, O2 sensor is 168.99 Direct fit Possible#4 Cylinder coil is misfiring.
2002 Acura RL148,460
problem just happened, haven't done anything about it yet. From reading other peoples comments, though, I understand that the air bags are shut off, is this correct? How unsafe is this if true!!!
got srs light and error messages couple years ago. Car was under mileage warranty when error message occurred which is still on my Error Message Log. I took it to dealer thinking that any type seatbelt error is to be covered. I was told it was not. I was quoted over a $1,000 without a limit as they did not have firm quote. I did not want to pay the money and kept thinking I would find recall or some other group experiencing same problem and hopefully get ACURA to take care of this problem. I will check error numbers to list here tomorrow.
2005 Acura RL110,000
Check Air Bag Warning Indicator always on.
2004 Acura RL50,000
air bag light came on and will not go out.
2003 Acura RL57,453
SRS light came on and stayed on. Found it to be the sensor inside the passenger seat. The repair was over $500.00. The part alone is $370.00. It is not covered under the lifetime extension that the seat belt sensor is. The entire air bag system shuts down when this light is on.
2005 Acura RL80,000
SRS warning light is on... Haven't had time for anyone to look at it though.
2006 Acura RL139,000
Light and acura link message appear. Light says passenger airbag is off when there is a person in the seat. Sometimes intermittent but usually on. Have reset the cars memory by disconnecting the battery for over 15 minutes. Turned off but came on again. Acura said it may be seat belt sensor and advised me that has a lifetime warranty but don't know if that's where the problem lies.
2005 Acura RL145,000
I got a second message in the dashboard to check airbag system. I will be bringing to the dealer to see what they say. This is something that should be covered!!! Update: Dealer said it must be a short somewhere and to not worry about it??? Kidding me!! Not putting money into it. They don't want to deal with it. Keeps happening twice or more per week. Not good.
All the light when on after I scan it whit scam tool
2000 Acura RL131,680
SRS light, Acura found SRS OPDs sensor at fault and SRS unit gone bad.
my srs light is on how can i remove it? what can couse the srs light to turn on?
It started when I started the car. I have 56000 miles and everything seems fine
ABS light comes on sometimes and stays on after starting
My 00 Acura RL (172k) is having an electrical problem. The 1st this I noticed (which is minor)...
Just replaced the fuel injection relay, car starts and runs fine, but now I'm getting the SRS l...