Car Problem Reports

Acura RL Reprogram computer to fix shifting problem in automatic transmission

Acura RL Problem
12 Reports
Me Too

Model Years Affected: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010

Average Mileage: 98,007 mi (14,320 mi - 155,698 mi)

Verified
Some automatic transmissions have a shifting problem that can be corrected by simply reprogramming the computer.
  • Visitor, , 14,320 mi

When driving at lower speeds 25-30 mph, the trans would start lugging and a groan type noise is heard. I thought is was shifting into 4th or even fifth gear. If put in sport mode, it will not happen. Took the car in for a sunroof issue and was told there is a trans ecu udate and asked me if I experienced any shifting problems. YES! so it is at the dealer now and hopefully it is fixed.

• Visitor, , 126,922 mi

A Wierd grunt noise and shifting when driving at a set speeds. Usually when is in 5th gear between 30 and 50 mph.

• Visitor, , 81,230 mi

At 40 - 45 mph on level road, about 1000 rpm, the transmission does not down shift and lugs the engine causing a vibration noise. If manually downshift to 4th, the problem disappears.

• SHollin, , 155,698 mi

My 2006 Acura TL stopped shifting into 2nd gear. Once I've started driving, the vehicle does not move to the next gear and stays idle causing me to pull off the road. I have noticed if I turn off the engine and restart the vehicle, the gears will move properly. I have had the transmission flushed with no result. Now, the Acura dealer tells me that it is my transmission but I'm not so sure.

• Visitor, , 110,000 mi

slipping shuddering at 1500 -1600 rpms. solved with update at acura dealer.