Acura
RL

Reprogram computer to fix shifting problem in automatic transmission on Acura RL

Problem Description and Possible Solution
Some automatic transmissions have a shifting problem that can be corrected by simply reprogramming the computer.
Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 123,731 (14,320–266,000)
7 model years affected: 1999, 2005, 2006, 2007, more2008, 2009, 2010
26 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 comments
My 2006 Acura TL stopped shifting into 2nd gear. Once I've started driving, the vehicle does not move to the next gear and stays idle causing me to pull off the road. I have noticed if I turn off the engine and restart the vehicle, the gears will move properly. I have had the transmission flushed with no result. Now, the Acura dealer tells me that it is my transmission but I'm not so sure.
When driving at lower speeds 25-30 mph, the trans would start lugging and a groan type noise is heard. I thought is was shifting into 4th or even fifth gear. If put in sport mode, it will not happen. Took the car in for a sunroof issue and was told there is a trans ecu udate and asked me if I experienced any shifting problems. YES! so it is at the dealer now and hopefully it is fixed.
slipping shuddering at 1500 -1600 rpms. solved with update at acura dealer.
A Wierd grunt noise and shifting when driving at a set speeds. Usually when is in 5th gear between 30 and 50 mph.
At 40 - 45 mph on level road, about 1000 rpm, the transmission does not down shift and lugs the engine causing a vibration noise. If manually downshift to 4th, the problem disappears.
Transmission slips a lot especially when going up hill and taking off
1st & reverse work fine, the other gears only work for a few minutes until mdx is warmed up. When transmission fails nothing works, then if the mdx is shut off and restarted 1st & reverse work fine. The transmission only fails when warmed up while shifting into second gear. (2006 MDX)
TL runs fine for about 20 mins and then has trouble shifting and staying in gear to a point I can't even move out of idle. Shut the car off and turn it on and boom it's fine again
Driving shifts from 1st to 2nd fine 3rd to 4th fine as well 5th gear it slips out
I stop turn off & start again repeats steps 1-4
car automatically shifts from 5th gear down to 4th gear on the highway. I'm unable to shift back to 5th unless I restart my car