Stalling Due to Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor on Oldsmobile Intrigue

Problem Description and Possible Solution

The crankshaft position sensor may fail causing the engine to stall intermittently, the Check Engine Light may or may not illuminate.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 131,461 (67,000–240,000)
Engines affected: 3.5L V6, 3.8L V6
4 model years affected: 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002
24 people reported this problem
Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 comments
It's been replaced twice, at 95000 mi and three years later at 132000 mi. Both times starting became hit and miss and when it did start it had to crank for a while.
My car has been stalling out when I am driving down the road and there are times here it will turn over for long periods of time but not want to start when I try to restart the car. It I noticed it really does it when im at a red light or when slowing down to make a turn.
I experienced this problem when it was just over 100,000 miles. The crank sensor was replaced and everything was fine after. The symptoms I experienced were: hard to start and stalling intermittently.
Won't start
Same problem. Had the sensor replaced, cost almost as much as car is worth
check engine light comes on intermittently - code reads - cam shaft sensor replacement-
Also the trans. is starting to shift rough in hot weather.
another American car not designed for the long run.
replaced crank sensor
Engine would turn over after periods of rest without issue. Car would stall ~5 minutes of driving later and would not turn over for ~15 minutes after. Took to mechanic and had crankshaft position sensor replaced.
Extended crank times before starting and stalls intermittently while driving .
Diagnosed by our local garage (and by us reading the code with our own code reader). They replaced the crankshaft position sensor (don't know if it was OEM) and less than a year later it failed again.