Stalling Due to Failed Crankshaft Position Sensor on Buick Lucerne

The crankshaft position sensor may fail causing the engine to stall intermittently, the Check Engine Light may or may not illuminate.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 51,428 (26,000–100,000)
Engines affected: 3.8L V6, 4.6L V8
3 model years affected: 2006, 2007, 2008
12 people reported this problem
4 people shared problem details
2006 Buick Lucerne- 3.8L V631,000
I had the car about a month. The 'check engine' light came on earlier in the day. I was driving slowly on a side street (about 25 mph) when it suddenly shut down without warning. I couldn't restart the car- just sat in the middle of the street with the hazard lights on. After a couple of minutes (and several tries) it started and the 'check engine' light was off. The dealer is picking it up and will check it out. I'll give him a copy of the others comments/repairs listed here
2006 Buick Lucerne- 3.8L V6
Car stopped randomly. Replaced cranksaft position sensor. Fixed problrm.
2006 Buick Lucerne- 3.8L V665,000
Car died and would not crank. No check engine light. Would not turn over. Dealer stated problem due to battery connection. Four months later, car died and and engine would turn over but would not start. Dealer replaced crank shaft position sensor.
Engine quit 4 times over a period of 2 months. 2 Buick dealers could not duplicate the problem and even drove the car (1st dealer 7 miles, 2nd dealer 90 miles). The 4th time it failed we returned the car to the 2nd dealer and again they could not duplicate the problem. The car computer did not reveal any error codes (so the dealer said) and as the tech was driving the car from the service bay to the parking area it actually died on him, with no restarting. So somehow they did more troubleshooting and traced it to a failed crankshaft position sensor. Dealer will keep car 2 more days and drive it to make sure? they have it fixed. I had to work with a Buick customer service person in Detroit to get the dealer to continue troubleshooting. The worst part of the engine quitting is that the power steering doesn't work and it becomes more and more difficult to turn the wheel as the car slows. Luckily my wife was in the slow lane of the freeway going about 60 MPH the first time the engine died and our son sitting in the passenger seat helped her steer the car to the shoulder of the freeway. If someone is going around a mountain road and cannot steer into or out of a curve, over the cliff they go - my wife won't drive the car now because of this safety issue even though the dealer may have fixed the problem...we will see. We had a 1994 Buick LeSabre with identical problem and finally had to donate the car.
An intake manifold vacuum leak can develop from a variety of sources, often causing illuminatio...
An engine oil leak may develop from the front crankshaft seal. Our technicians tell us a revise...
The steering wheel position sensor may fail, resulting in the service stability message being d...
The fuel pump may fail causing the engine to stall and not restart.
A Loose or worn gas cap may cause Check Engine Light to illuminate.