Door Lock Assembly May Fail on Volvo V70 XC

One or more door lock assembly may fail and cause door locking/unlocking problems.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 141,759 (80,000–195,000)
4 model years affected: 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002
18 people reported this problem
Get Your Car Fixed at a RepairPal Certified Shop.
We certify shops based on expertise, quality work, and verified customer reviews
Viewing 1 - 10 of 10 problem details
2000 Volvo V70 XC 85,000 mi,
Tailgate door becomes stuck from time to time. After someone slammed my door a little too hard, something came loose inside and I can hear it rattling inside. Immediately afterwards, when trying to open the rear tailgate, it felt like the latch would not release, even when door was unlocked and I was fully engaging the door handle. The knob that moves up and down is also at a sharp angle. Some days the rear door releases, some days it doesn't.
1998 Volvo V70 XC 125,000 mi,
drivers door wouldn't unlock, had to drill out lock to get door open, passenger front won't lock. Expensive repair.
2001 Volvo V70 XC 152,000 mi,
I the passenger front door would not lock or unlock automatically. Now, the whole locking system acts goofy. I have not yet had it looked at or fixed.
1998 Volvo V70 XC 140,000 mi,
Driver side door lock (with key)failed, have not fixed yet. Also passenger rear window switch only worked in down mode, temporarily disconnected switch to avoid being stuck w/ open window. Bypassed switch to get it back up.
2001 Volvo V70 XC 195,000 mi,
Driver door unlock button doesn't work and key fob only locks all doors won't unlock
2002 Volvo V70 XC 160,000 mi,
Doors lock randomly with the rear left door and petrol filler cap randomly popping up when locking. Now have to resort to locking the car from the door console as that seems to ensure that all doors lock properly. Not fixed.
2000 Volvo V70 XC 130,000 mi,
Door works, but lock doesn't - either by auto or manually engaging it
2002 Volvo V70 XC 144,500 mi,
My car is actually a 2005 - option was not available on drop down menu. I went out this afternoon to go somewhere and my car would not unlock electronically or by turning the key on the driver's door. The lock on interior of door only lifted half way, and went back down when I tried to open using the door handle. I called Volvo and was told it may be the locking system. Waiting for secondary key holder to check if their key works, in case the problem is with my key.
2001 Volvo V70 XC 185,000 mi,
The temperature dropped to 26 degrees overnight and when attempted to use the key to unlock the driver's door, it did not turn over. Had to use hot water to unlock the door.
1998 Volvo V70 XC 185,000 mi,
i have to unroll window & open door from the outside. I just hope my elec. window keeps working. I don't want to crawl over to the passage door!