Door Lock Assembly May Fail on Volvo V70 XC

One or more door lock assembly may fail and cause door locking/unlocking problems.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 136,653 (80,000–185,000)
4 model years affected: 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002
15 people reported this problem
8 people shared problem details
2000 Volvo V70 XC85,000
Tailgate door becomes stuck from time to time. After someone slammed my door a little too hard, something came loose inside and I can hear it rattling inside. Immediately afterwards, when trying to open the rear tailgate, it felt like the latch would not release, even when door was unlocked and I was fully engaging the door handle. The knob that moves up and down is also at a sharp angle. Some days the rear door releases, some days it doesn't.
2000 Volvo V70 XC130,000
Door works, but lock doesn't - either by auto or manually engaging it
2002 Volvo V70 XC144,500
My car is actually a 2005 - option was not available on drop down menu. I went out this afternoon to go somewhere and my car would not unlock electronically or by turning the key on the driver's door. The lock on interior of door only lifted half way, and went back down when I tried to open using the door handle. I called Volvo and was told it may be the locking system. Waiting for secondary key holder to check if their key works, in case the problem is with my key.
1998 Volvo V70 XC125,000
drivers door wouldn't unlock, had to drill out lock to get door open, passenger front won't lock. Expensive repair.
2001 Volvo V70 XC152,000
I the passenger front door would not lock or unlock automatically. Now, the whole locking system acts goofy. I have not yet had it looked at or fixed.
2001 Volvo V70 XC185,000
The temperature dropped to 26 degrees overnight and when attempted to use the key to unlock the driver's door, it did not turn over. Had to use hot water to unlock the door.
1998 Volvo V70 XC185,000
i have to unroll window & open door from the outside. I just hope my elec. window keeps working. I don't want to crawl over to the passage door!
1998 Volvo V70 XC140,000
Driver side door lock (with key)failed, have not fixed yet. Also passenger rear window switch only worked in down mode, temporarily disconnected switch to avoid being stuck w/ open window. Bypassed switch to get it back up.
My '01 V-70 XC occasionally but not always has a "Service Engine-Urgent" and orange ! light com...
I have a '99 volvo cross country and sometimes the engine will not start. The battery seems to...
Purchased this car from a friend (for next to nothing with 85K miles -every and all recommended...
I've only owned it for 4 months so I'm not sure about past maintenance. I replacedthe coils and...