Convertible Top May Have Problems With Micro-Switches/Potentiometers on Volvo C70

The convertible top may have problems with the micro-switches and potentiometers that help control the raising and lowering of the top.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 96,185 (14,500–200,000)
9 model years affected: 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, more2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2010
72 people reported this problem
43 people shared problem details
Convertible top started to go back and then stopped 6 inches from the widnscreen. Manually cranked it back to close and now won't work and the system keeps dinging all the time. Can anyone offer a suggestion?
The problem I've run into was mentioned in passing in this feed, but I'm not sure about what to do next. The roof on my girlfriends car is closed all the way, but the sensor doesn't seem to realize that and the ding ding ding is driving us up a wall. I tried to find the fuse for that particular sensor and pull it but had no such luck. I tried to find the push button on the roof to try and jam it closed to stop the alarm but had no such luck there either. Is there anything we can do to get that thing to quiet down? It seems like a form of Chinese drip torture!
2000 Volvo C70106,400
we just bought a 2000 volvo c70 ,,,,the convertible top goes all the way down but not completely so the hard part is straight up and stuck....then if you push the button for the top to go forward it only makes it too the front with about four inches to go but doesnt make it ,,it stops......bummed out...
the roof storage area on my c70 will not open manually by cranking with the tools supplied and will not open with the switch so how do you get into it
2000 Volvo C70121,000
top wont go down
2001 Volvo C70124,000
top locked in closed position but convertible light and chime alarm goes off incessantly when driving the car. dealership does not offer any definite options to diagnose and fix the problem.
2002 Volvo C7082,700
I also had this problem with the top stuck between up and down. Had to manually lower the top into storage area. During the manual closing, I noticed two small broken switches on either side that appeared to have broken off the lift arms. Took vehicle back to dealership, they mentioned nothing about micro-switches or potentiometers but rather told me that I would have to purchase both a left and right "tappet" that allegedly are broken, at a cost of almost $3,000. Then they would be able to determine what else would be required to "fix." I paid them to raise the top, lock it in place and disconnect the switch and chime so that no one would lower the top again.
1998 Volvo C7014,500
this vovo is the worst car i have ever owned do yourself a favour never buy one
I had one of the two potentiametes replaced and have had problems with it ever since ie: wont complete its cycle when putting back up so the light and ding sound is on. Also after the volvo dealer so called fixed the potentiameter the top doesnt work up and down complete and wont fix it for me after I spent almost $1,000!!
2002 Volvo C7074,000
I had to replace the top and once I replaced the top I had issues with it closing properly into the trunk. One of many problems with this beautiful looking car. Will never buy another one!
2000 Volvo C7074,000
top wont close all the way.
1999 Volvo C7098,000
Top gets stuck half way up
2000 Volvo C7085,000
top stops short about 4 inches from completed closure.
2001 Volvo C70110,000
2 things Convertible top went down won't come back up. Change battery in car radio won't come on reading code when code is entered it still doesn't work.
2004 Volvo C7084,000
Top did not open completely sometimes, but now won't close either. Managed to get roof down to windshield but can't get the back to close. Making the car pretty useless. Warning dings away - very frustrating. The car is a good driver and performs well except for the darn top.
2004 Volvo C70119,000
I presses the button to open stopped halfway it didn't close. I was able to push the top down but the storage lid is stuck open and won't close.
2010 Volvo C7095,000
Convertible top will not respond to the button for opening it up. Still not fixed.
1998 Volvo C7025,000
Top closed by signals say not closed and dinging sound.
2000 Volvo C70110,000
Micro Switch on Drivers side was broken causing a problem with the first phase of the top opening properly.
2004 Volvo C70120,000
starts to lower and stops
I was trying to lower the convertible top when it stuck 1/2 way down. It will not move either up or down. I'm thinking a blown fuse. The owners manual covers fuse slots 1-36. Convertible slots ...
We just purchased this car from a private dealer 2 days ago. We had the convertible top down a...
I had opened the top to unplug the drain holes which required me to leave the top up. The drain...
how do i open storage area if i cant open it by cranking with handle inside trunk i cant see a...