I have the same problem. no solution yet.
1990 Volkswagen Vanagon

I have the same problem. No solution yet.

(1990 Volkswagen Vanagon)
Spark at plugs. Injectors spray fuel. fuel pump volume test pass. ECU swapped into another van runs fine. Checked timing with light while cranking seems correct.
Tags: volkswagen, vanagon
1 answer & 4 comments
on January 19, 2019
What’s the problem with the vehicle? .. No start?
on January 20, 2019
Yes, no start. I can get it to start if I advance the timing about 30 to 40 degrees and keep it running by feathering the throttle. I am starting to wonder about the coil. My spark is a bit yellow and I think might be at a slow rate. Calculate about 6 sparks per second when cranking at 200 rpm (guess). Going from memory but I don't think I was getting sparks out of the coil at that rate. I don't have the computer right now as I sent it off to a friend to put in their van and check. Hope to get it back this week to re-test. contemplating buying a coil at $70.
on January 20, 2019
I did measure the primary and secondary coil resistances and they are correct. I have had a coil break down under load but that was at higher rpms. My problem started gradually. Car would stall while driving but I could re-start and it would run fine for a few minutes and then stall out again. Got worse and worse and now can't get it started without the advanced timing trick.
on January 20, 2019
Rock (rotate) crankshaft pulley back and forth while observing distributor rotor - how much slack?

Advancing ignition timing has no affect on ignition coil kv’s (output)..

Quite possibly askew ‘engine’ timing .
on January 21, 2019
The distributer has about +/- 1-2 degrees of wiggle. If that wiggle is taken up by biasing the rotor clockwise (or counterclockwise) and I rotate the crankshaft by spinning the main drive pulley the rotor spins directly, so no additional play other than by wiggling the rotor.

When cranking and using a timing light the timing is set correctly. As at light flash tick on pulley is in the right spot.

General Diagnosis
$88 - $111 Learn More
on January 19, 2019
What’s the problem with the vehicle? .. No start?
on January 20, 2019

Advancing ignition timing has no affect on ignition coil kv’s (output)..

Quite possibly askew ‘engine’ timing .
on January 21, 2019

Power steering fluid is leaking and i was told that the leak was from the pressure hose. my daughter went to ford to...
The rear hatch door window and windshield wiper aren't working. i'm trying to look for the fuse for the rear hatch...