Engine misfiring on bank 1 possibly due to timing problem. could be timing guild
2000 BMW 740i

Engine misfiring on Bank 1 possibly due to timing problem. Could be timing guild

(2000 BMW 740i)
Replaced 20+ items on engine and it still runs rough as though it wants to stall out, it has left me stranded a couple times. The most likely problem is the timing chain rail is broken and maybe the tensioner and/or the gear and or vanos timing. Need to remove front of engine and replace problem...
1 answer & 1 comment
on July 30, 2016
'Live-data'scan , or just code reader and process of elimination (20+ items)? Need to know a little more detail to really help. Do you have a factory service manual or access to factory service information? In other words , it will help to know what information source you are using for trouble shooting.
Dear Zippi 1,
I have been working on the BMW for 7 Months now and had Reset Adaptations with no changes in the motor. I took it to a BMW shop and they put it in a diagnostic machine and tried a couple changes in the motor and they could not change the conditions; so they said that it must be a BROKEN TIMING CHAIN RAIL GUILD, or VANOS GEAR is bad, or just maybe the TENSIONER is bad. The car idles smooth and even when driving, but, you can't push on the gas, as it will want to stall out or the engine shakes, it will get up to speed eventually and has gone up to 80 mph. The Bank 1 continues to miss on 2 pistons and the car will get you around town, it just takes long to get up to speed. I have my doubts that it is the RAIL GUILD that is broken. The shop would not tear open the engine unless I cough up $ 4,000.00 so I took my car back home. Hope this helps you.
Sincerely, Ron
General Diagnosis
$88 - $111 Learn More
Dear Zippi 1,
Sincerely, Ron

It starts up drives off slow you can press on the gas it revs but dont go nowhere then starts slow the trans failsafe...
How much for gas filter change?