RepairPal is your advocate for car care advice and guidance

Q: Trying to indentify a part under the hood on 1998 BMW M3

Does anyone know what the name of the section or joint where the plastic shroud over the radiator/fan extends to the driver side of the engine and connects to a oval hose that goes down over the alternator? I'm leaking coolant at tha joint and it requires addind coolant evertime I go out. Thanks.
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
| |
Is this the part?
The image can be blown up, it is a new improved part. This website has other images that can be blow up to look at as well.
| |
A lot of high end cars have air ducting to cool the alternator. Some times a build up of solidified coolant is normal. It occurs during original run in of the engine. Particularly with some VW and Audi people were replacing the water pumps and VW had to issue a service bulletin to say stop!
Your engine should not have a coolant leak the system is a sealed system and coolant loss is a sign of overheating or a leak. What you describe could be a leak from the water pump. The water pump is the pulley highest up on the engine (above the crankshaft pulley). To pinpoint the source of the leak the cooling system needs to be pressurized using a tool that looks like a bicycle pump with a pressure gauge on it. The system is pressurized to to 18 psi or so to simulate the pressure in the cooling system when the engine is running.
If it is the water pump is $90 to $130 and takes 2 hours to replace.
Okay... found out that its a air hose that goes to the cooling duct that the alternator has on the back. No coolant invovled. Since there is wet and dry coolant on the bottom of this, and spary all over... could my coolant pump be going?
Didn't find what you were looking for?