Car Questions

Transmission/drivetrain problems

(2005 BMW X5)
in Fort Smith, AR on June 30, 2010
Bought my X5 new, and now have 89,000 miles. At about 38,000 miles I noticed a hard 2nd to 1st downshift on rolling stops. Dealer said there were no software updates and there was nothing they could do. I repeated the complaint about the downshift problem a couple of times over the next 40,000 miles. Same answer. Also at about60 to 70,000 miles I begin to experience a shutter in the transmission/drivetrain. It only occurs while in sixth gear at engine speeds of about 1500 rpm, speed about 37 mph on level to slightly inclined roadways. It doesn't always shutter at these set of conditions but is getting more frequent with time. I am certainly not a mechanic but I might guess it is a slippage in the torque converter. The most recent suggestion from my dealer is to replace the transmission and torque converter. they may be necessary but I would really like some kind of more informed diagnosis. Has this problem been experienced by others?
Displaying 1 answers & 1 comments
on July 02, 2010
Well for one thing, your 2005 x5 would have been programmed with Progman 28 being one of the last versions, there have been mulitple updates since then, we are currently running Ista/P 38 in Australia and don't see a reason why America could be behind that much.
Have you recently done a rotate and balance? wheel alignment? checked your compression bushes?
Has a technician taken your car for a drive and experienced it?
I have seen transmissions replaced for similar reasons, might be a good idea to check the transfer case.
on October 24, 2010
I bought my car brand new in 05. I had the same issue that you describe soon after I bought it and have continued to have it ever since. I have 110K mi now. I have taken my X5 to the dealer numerous times but of course it never messes up when they drive it. I even went with them once. It seems to happen more and more lately. It is VERY embarrassing if others are riding in the car with you. I sure would like to find a solution.

Once I put the vehicle in gear, I get a tone , as I'm driving the tone gets higher pitched and faster...can you advis...