Auto Systems and Repair: Starter
Symptoms of Wear or Failure
- Engine may not crank over when attempting to start the vehicle
- Abnormal noise when starter is engaged
Related Repair Advice
- Many vehicles have a special ignition key that is electronically coded to start your vehicle. If the key or the system is having problems, the symptom may be the same as a faulty starter.
- A weak or dead battery can exhibit the same symptoms as a faulty starter. The battery should be inspected and replaced as necessary before replacing the starter.
- Corroded and/or loose battery terminals can exhibit the same symptoms as a faulty starter. They will need to be cleaned and possibly replaced before a failed starter can be properly diagnosed.
- A faulty ignition switch may have the same symptoms as a defective starter
- For vehicles with an automatic transmission, the neutral safety switch should be inspected. Manual transmission vehicles should have the clutch pedal switch checked.