Car Questions

Problems with ac

(1990 Volvo 240)
in Bay Shore, NY on August 15, 2009
Since I have had this car the air conditioner never was cool enough, it just is horrible to drive this car in the summer. It feels like you are driving without any air conditioner. I was told that this is just the way the car is made. Mechanics say that volvos are really a winter car and I would have to replace the entire a/c system which is costly.
Displaying 1 answers & 0 comments
on August 15, 2009
While it is true that the A/C system on this 240 is not the best, when it is working properly it will work pretty good.
It's very common for the expansion valve to fail, and a check of the high and low side pressures will reveal this very easily, as long as you know what to look for.
Have you had any work done to the A/C system? Has it been recharged? Do you know if the system still has the R12 refrigerant?

Sometimes the fan won't even turn on but I leave it on position and after driving a 1/4 mile or so it will start blow...
Sometimes when I drive my Jeep and I have my heat on and both the passenger side and driver side is set to 78 degre...