Ford
Explorer

Problems With Early Production 5-speed Automatic Transmission on Ford Explorer

Problem Description and Possible Solution

Various problems with the 5-speed automatic transmission were common. These problems can be more common on the 2002 models with build dates before March, 2002. There are many service bulletins describing the diagnoses and repairs, which include fluid leak repairs, transmission software updates, or internal failures requiring a costly repair.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 134,630 (13,550–230,000)
Drive Trains affected: 2WD, 4WD, Automatic Transmission
9 model years affected: 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, more2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006
61 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 20 of 36 comments
Stopped at a red light, took off when the light turned green and the drive stopped working. Still have reverse but no drive. I've never seen a transmission just all of a sudden stop working while you were driving, there's usually some symptoms or slipping before it goes out. There were no signs at all that the transmission was having problems it just stopped working while I was driving down the road..
Have owned this 2002 Explorer Ltd V8 since new and hands down the best vehicle I ever had. Recently the 5 speed French built auto transmission has developed a hard shift between 3rd and 4th speed and maybe a little gap between 4th and 5th. Afraid to take it to the Ford dealer suspicious that they will take the easy and most profitable way out by forgoing the diagnosis and recommending a complete trans overhaul. Sorry but I've been there before. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a common reason for this problem and/or some things to check out before I spend the total value of the car on a tranny overhaul? It runs great as usual except for this relatively recent problem.
When I give it gas doesn't catch for nxt gear it slips the rpm Gage Revs All the up to while the mph gage stays in the Same Position not accelerating in mph unless I take my foot off completely n rpm drops n then catchs
Transmission failed at 160,000 miles. For about 20,000 miles before that the O/D light would flash occasionally on road trips and the trans would skip straight from 1st to 3rd gear. The 4.0 V6 engine also had to be replaced at 180,000 because of a bad crank shaft bearing. The oil had always been changed at 5000 mile intervals and never run low. The transmission is evidently a particularly common problem.
My truck won't move on drive only 2nd
Stopped at a red light as soon as light turned green took off and felt like I was rear ended then the car wouldn't move but no slip or warning of the tranny going but now while it's idling it rattles really good but when put in gear if I get the Rpm really high it'll hold it's self just won't move
Second to third shift-motor revs one thousand rpm above shift point before catching...
the Transmission 5R55W started with a shifting problem.The diagnosis was the pressure control solenoid PO745Ford dealer advise was to change the Transmission.Cost 3700.00 The explorer is park.
Tranny just quit pulling and od keeps flashing ?
"slipping" transmission
it will be in drive and sometimes not move then I need to pull it down just a smidge more then it drives fine. My OD not engaged light will come on so when I hit the button I feel it dis engaging, when I put it back on it'll re engage but the OD warning light stays on. Went to an auto supply store and had them check out my warning lights and one code came up saying that gear 5 wasn't working or something like that.
shifting problemThe diagnosis was the pressure control solenoid PO745Ford
Won't go nowhere
Im the second owner My 2002 explorer transmission had to be replaced twice!! already bought at 87,000 miles year later transmission replace year later again went again hope i dont need a 3rd
Over drive light is flashing. Transmission slipping then when it does go ahead and shift. It shifts real hard. Fuses blowing repeatedly. There's a clicking noise coming from the back and I don't know what it is. ABS light is on, and I don't know why. Service engine light stays on. I've hooked it up to my diagnostic scanner and the only code it reads is pressure solenoid A circuit malfunction.
OD ligth start flashing , next day delay on 2nd to 3rd gear , now reverse is gone , cost to repear $2400 or more ford mechanic says!!! Explorer is park :( never buying a ford car !!
same thing happened to me, sorry I dont see any reply to the initial post? Any one
Had to completely rebuild the transmission! $2600
Shift hard into fourth gear
TRANSMISSION