Problems With Early Production 5-speed Automatic Transmission on Ford Explorer

Various problems with the 5-speed automatic transmission were common. These problems can be more common on the 2002 models with build dates before March, 2002. There are many service bulletins describing the diagnoses and repairs, which include fluid leak repairs, transmission software updates, or internal failures requiring a costly repair.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 133,971 (50,000–205,000)
Drive Trains affected: 2WD, 4WD, Automatic Transmission
6 model years affected: 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, more2002, 2003
31 people reported this problem
24 people shared problem details
2002 Ford Explorer- Automatic Transmission145,000
Have owned this 2002 Explorer Ltd V8 since new and hands down the best vehicle I ever had. Recently the 5 speed French built auto transmission has developed a hard shift between 3rd and 4th speed and maybe a little gap between 4th and 5th. Afraid to take it to the Ford dealer suspicious that they will take the easy and most profitable way out by forgoing the diagnosis and recommending a complete trans overhaul. Sorry but I've been there before. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a common reason for this problem and/or some things to check out before I spend the total value of the car on a tranny overhaul? It runs great as usual except for this relatively recent problem.
2002 Ford Explorer- Automatic Transmission140,000
Stopped at a red light, took off when the light turned green and the drive stopped working. Still have reverse but no drive. I've never seen a transmission just all of a sudden stop working while you were driving, there's usually some symptoms or slipping before it goes out. There were no signs at all that the transmission was having problems it just stopped working while I was driving down the road..
2002 Ford Explorer- 2WD190,000
2002 Ford Explorer- Automatic Transmission160,000
Transmission failed at 160,000 miles. For about 20,000 miles before that the O/D light would flash occasionally on road trips and the trans would skip straight from 1st to 3rd gear. The 4.0 V6 engine also had to be replaced at 180,000 because of a bad crank shaft bearing. The oil had always been changed at 5000 mile intervals and never run low. The transmission is evidently a particularly common problem.
2002 Ford Explorer- 4WD88,000
the Transmission 5R55W started with a shifting problem.The diagnosis was the pressure control solenoid PO745Ford dealer advise was to change the Transmission.Cost 3700.00 The explorer is park.
2000 Ford Explorer- 4WD60,000
Second to third shift-motor revs one thousand rpm above shift point before catching...
2002 Ford Explorer- 4WD131,000
Im the second owner My 2002 explorer transmission had to be replaced twice!! already bought at 87,000 miles year later transmission replace year later again went again hope i dont need a 3rd
2002 Ford Explorer- Automatic Transmission190,000
"slipping" transmission
2002 Ford Explorer- Automatic Transmission
shifting problemThe diagnosis was the pressure control solenoid PO745Ford
2002 Ford Explorer- 2WD95,000
Won't go nowhere
2000 Ford Explorer- Automatic Transmission
My truck won't move on drive only 2nd
same thing happened to me, sorry I dont see any reply to the initial post? Any one
2002 Ford Explorer- 2WD110,000
Had to completely rebuild the transmission! $2600
2002 Ford Explorer- Automatic Transmission138,000
OD ligth start flashing , next day delay on 2nd to 3rd gear , now reverse is gone , cost to repear $2400 or more ford mechanic says!!! Explorer is park :( never buying a ford car !!
2002 Ford Explorer- Automatic Transmission
1996 Ford Explorer- Automatic Transmission137,254
Stopped at a red light as soon as light turned green took off and felt like I was rear ended then the car wouldn't move but no slip or warning of the tranny going but now while it's idling it rattles really good but when put in gear if I get the Rpm really high it'll hold it's self just won't move
2002 Ford Explorer- 4WD160,000
it will be in drive and sometimes not move then I need to pull it down just a smidge more then it drives fine. My OD not engaged light will come on so when I hit the button I feel it dis engaging, when I put it back on it'll re engage but the OD warning light stays on. Went to an auto supply store and had them check out my warning lights and one code came up saying that gear 5 wasn't working or something like that.
2003 Ford Explorer- Automatic Transmission130,000
shifter cable fails.
2002 Ford Explorer- 4WD160,000
Over drive light is flashing. Transmission slipping then when it does go ahead and shift. It shifts real hard. Fuses blowing repeatedly. There's a clicking noise coming from the back and I don't know what it is. ABS light is on, and I don't know why. Service engine light stays on. I've hooked it up to my diagnostic scanner and the only code it reads is pressure solenoid A circuit malfunction.
2000 Ford Explorer- 4WD191,000
When I give it gas doesn't catch for nxt gear it slips the rpm Gage Revs All the up to while the mph gage stays in the Same Position not accelerating in mph unless I take my foot off completely n rpm drops n then catchs. Now I only have 2nd gear and told repair bill $2500!
My 1999 Ford Explorer keeps blowing the automatic doorlock fuse. It was working fine. I am not...
Can be started by turning switch on and crossing celinoid switch,,Have replaced celinoid 3 time...
I have a 1997 Ford Explorer XLT Autotract 6 cylinder with 222,000 miles. It has automatic trans...
...looks & runs good & has done more than expected for so many years & miles, until now. The transmission has become completely inoperable, it will not at all go into any gear, forward or reverse. It...