Ford Explorer Problem Report

Ford Explorer Problems With Early Production 5-speed Automatic Transmission

(23 reports)

Various problems with the 5-speed automatic transmission were common. These problems can be more common on the 2002 models with build dates before March, 2002. There are many service bulletins describing the diagnoses and repairs, which include fluid leak repairs, transmission software updates, or internal failures requiring a costly repair.

Stopped at a red light, took off when the light turned green and the drive stopped working. Still have reverse but no drive. I've never seen a transmission just all of a sudden stop working while you were driving, there's usually some symptoms or slipping before it goes out. There were no signs at all that the transmission was having problems it just stopped working while I was driving down the road.. -
When I give it gas doesn't catch for nxt gear it slips the rpm Gage Revs All the up to while the mph gage stays in the Same Position not accelerating in mph unless I take my foot off completely n rpm drops n then catchs -
Have owned this 2002 Explorer Ltd V8 since new and hands down the best vehicle I ever had. Recently the 5 speed French built auto transmission has developed a hard shift between 3rd and 4th speed and maybe a little gap between 4th and 5th. Afraid to take it to the Ford dealer suspicious that they will take the easy and most profitable way out by forgoing the diagnosis and recommending a complete trans overhaul. Sorry but I've been there before. Does anyone have a suggestion as to a common reason for this problem and/or some things to check out before I spend the total value of the car on a tranny overhaul? It runs great as usual except for this relatively recent problem. -
Transmission failed at 160,000 miles. For about 20,000 miles before that the O/D light would flash occasionally on road trips and the trans would skip straight from 1st to 3rd gear. The 4.0 V6 engine also had to be replaced at 180,000 because of a bad crank shaft bearing. The oil had always been changed at 5000 mile intervals and never run low. The transmission is evidently a particularly common problem. -
"slipping" transmission -
Won't go nowhere -
the Transmission 5R55W started with a shifting problem.The diagnosis was the pressure control solenoid PO745Ford dealer advise was to change the Transmission.Cost 3700.00 The explorer is park. -
Had to completely rebuild the transmission! $2600 -
Im the second owner My 2002 explorer transmission had to be replaced twice!! already bought at 87,000 miles year later transmission replace year later again went again hope i dont need a 3rd -
TRANSMISSION -
same thing happened to me, sorry I dont see any reply to the initial post? Any one -
OD ligth start flashing , next day delay on 2nd to 3rd gear , now reverse is gone , cost to repear $2400 or more ford mechanic says!!! Explorer is park :( never buying a ford car !! -
When I give it gas doesn't catch for nxt gear it slips the rpm Gage Revs All the up to while the mph gage stays in the Same Position not accelerating in mph unless I take my foot off completely n rpm drops n then catchs. Now I only have 2nd gear and told repair bill $2500! -
Hard shifting into 2nd & 3rd. Shop says it will need new transmission but it may still last awhile. Have driven vehicle 50,000 mi. since shop diagnosis. Had similar issue when vehicle was new and dealer re-programmed computer and problem was solved at that time. -
rough shifting fluid and filter replaced , internal bands adjusted -
Second to third shift-motor revs one thousand rpm above shift point before catching... -
Transmission failed three time twice with a overheat light. -
Transmission replace at 65000 is typical in the 02-03. Should have been recalled IMHO -
My 1999 Ford Explorer keeps blowing the automatic doorlock fuse. It was working fine. I am not...
Can be started by turning switch on and crossing celinoid switch,,Have replaced celinoid 3 time...
...would end up needing a major rebuild-repair or replacement. In all of these previous vehicle transmissions there was always advance warnings, tell tale signs like the typical slipping into gear, sluggi...