Mercury Grand Marquis Problem Report

Mercury Grand Marquis Engine Stalling and/or Hesitation on Acceleration due to Faulty Idle Air Bypass Valve

(9 reports)

If you experience difficulty starting the engine when cold, stalling at idle, or hesitations during acceleration, it may be the idle air bypass valve. This valve helps the vehicle idle steady when the accelerator pedal is not pressed.

it starts up and than it shuts off but starts back up. can anyone help me with this problem. -
Engine turns over, but cuts off when I put it into gear. I have to sit with my foot on the gas pedal to keep it going. Usually, after 10-15 minutes - and several attempts - it will continue running when I take my foot off the gas pedal...then, I can go and it will keep running. Once in a while (1 in every 10-15 times) when I start it, it will immediately just run like it's supposed to. -
When accelerating between 1st and 2nd gear, there is a lengthy shift time, also I notice when pressing slightly harder on gas pedal while already in travel, it is not responsive as a v-8 should be with quick acceleration. It seems as either gas is not traveling through the gas pump at the required rate, or after getting my intake replaced, that possibly one of the (pistons/cylinders) could be bad, or may have a compression leak. No smoke or stalls and no problems starting when cold. Thanks! -
Cold starts difficult (long crank and had to throttle engine to keep idle going.) -
The throttle position sensor (TPS) may fail. Common symptoms of a defective TPS can be rough id...
My A/C is blowing very hot air. What is my problem?
93 grand marquis won't idle after warming up. always happens
The engine on my car has been shutting off when I take off my foot from the accelerator. It doe...