Engine Stalling and/or Hesitation on Acceleration due to Faulty Idle Air Bypass Valve on Mercury Sable

If you experience difficulty starting the engine when cold, stalling at idle, or hesitations during acceleration, it may be the idle air bypass valve. This valve helps the vehicle idle steady when the accelerator pedal is not pressed.

RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 118,733 (15,000–204,000)
Engines affected: 3.0L V6, 3.0L V6 DOHC, 3.8L V6
13 model years affected: 1990, 1994, 1995, 1996, more1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005
35 people reported this problem
20 people shared problem details
2002 Mercury Sable100,000
Idle control valve makes the idle high and with foot off the accelerator car runs at 40-45 MPH. I disconnected the electrical plug to the valve and car runs great!
2002 Mercury Sable- 3.0L V6150,000
Revs up and down when idling change the Idle control valve and still does the same
2001 Mercury Sable145,000
Car starts,but dies immediatley when take foot off gas. When pressing on gas, will die if I dont rev engine. Also, this summer electric locks stopped working and recently car seems to idle high when sitting or when I put heat on.
2001 Mercury Sable109,000
when i start the car it revs up on and off with out me hitting the pedal. also it stalled twice on me while i was on the highway exit ramp. rear three spark plugs are impossible to get to and the driver side door wouldn't lock with the remote locking device or the car lock button.
2002 Mercury Sable- 3.0L V6 DOHC204,000
idling very rough and sluggish when taking off runs fine when get up to speed been researching all night seems to be iac will change and hope for the best!
1990 Mercury Sable- 3.0L V660,000
hesitation in engine, and check engine light is coming on and off.
1994 Mercury Sable- 3.0L V6150,000
Car sputters when you mash the gas mostly when the first few miles and when engine is cold
2002 Mercury Sable- 3.0L V6 DOHC155,000
idels way to fast
Having this similar rough idle problem. Was going to try and replace the idle air bypass valve but the auto parts suggested trying a fuel additive BG-44K. Well had good/not so good results. BG-44K within 20-30 miles of adding it to a full tank stop the rough idle but the rough idle returned. I'm going to try another treatment before replace the bypass valve. Found BG-44K a lot cheaper on ebay, this stuff is not cheap but I'm a believer of it. So bigger maintenance question is do our fuel ejectors get plugged up from cheap gas / ethanol and such???
2003 Mercury Sable- 3.0L V6187,000
My car sputters at stop signs and signal light as well as rpm goes up and down when sitting in park and when stopped at lights or stop signs what could this be
2002 Mercury Sable- 3.0L V6 DOHC54,100
My car stalled out, all the panel icons flashed when I was either braking and barely moving in traffic and when I would also turn on the heater. I thought it might be the fuel filter...and had it changed, but it was a minor expense.. The problem continues, though...will take it in to have the idel air bypass valve investigated. When I took it to the mechanic before he could not replicate the problem and only changed the fuel filter,because I insisted. I think I will take it to the dealership this time.
2002 Mercury Sable- 3.0L V6124,000
When the car is in drive, it jerks and hesitates while idling. If I put it in neutral, it's fine for the most part.
2001 Mercury Sable- 3.0L V6
same problem. haven't found a solution - still searching even after spending over $500 unnecessarily at the Ford dealership.
2004 Mercury Sable- 3.0L V699,000
Everything in your description was accurate to the tee
1996 Mercury Sable- 3.0L V6121,491
Seems likz it wont down shift while going
2002 Mercury Sable- 3.0L V6 DOHC69,000
replaced it with the latest,updated Motorcraft part because there was a Ford TSB [technical service bulletin] release about it
2003 Mercury Sable116,000
Noticed it at first when I was idling with the AC on, but then it became more frequent and worse. Still trying to get my mechanic to sort it out. We'll see how that goes.
2005 Mercury Sable- 3.0L V6120,000
Ac started giving out and tve car started stalling at stops
1994 Mercury Sable- 3.8L V6180,000
As you accelerate half pedal rpms good and as you give it go to the floor bogs out
There is a hesitation when I accelerate
Check Engine Light appeared the Mechanic diagnosed it as EGR and replace the Solenoid. The Engi...
my engine idles around 1000 rpm and when I go from park to drive or drive to park the transmiss...
Only has 100,000 miles. New plugs,wires, distributor, ignition module and coil, new battery an...
Approximately 20 minutes after running (sometimes), engine will just quit, check engine light c...
Original owner, 133K miles, flushed system every 50K--Engine is Overheating after 10 to 15 mins...