Ford
Escort

Engine Stalling and/or Hesitation on Acceleration due to Faulty Idle Air Bypass Valve on Ford Escort

Problem Description and Possible Solution

If you experience difficulty starting the engine when cold, stalling at idle, or hesitations during acceleration, it may be the idle air bypass valve. This valve helps the vehicle idle steady when the accelerator pedal is not pressed.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 146,660 (114,000–232,000)
Engines affected: 1.9L 4 Cylinder, 2.0L 4 Cylinder, 2.0L 4 Cylinder DOHC, 2.0L 4 Cylinder SOHC
5 model years affected: 1990, 1991, 1992, 1997, more2003
15 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 4 of 4 comments
Car will sound rough at stop sign, and die out right after I leave the intersection. My dad says that it sounds like maybe fuel pump or idling issue, only does it if we have 1/4 or less gas in the car, anybody with suggestions contact me please!!!
Stalls when put in gear and eccelerate plugs wires changed fuel filter changed alternator good battery new injector ports cleaned why cant i keep it running
I had a tune up. Air filter change .Oil filter. Change .Spark plugs. Spark plug wires.replaced..about aweek later my car started backfiring..and hesitating at stop light or stop signes.. the mechanic replaced the spark plugs..it still did the same thing..