Ford
Taurus

Engine Stalling and/or Hesitation on Acceleration due to Faulty Idle Air Bypass Valve on Ford Taurus

Problem Description and Possible Solution

If you experience difficulty starting the engine when cold, stalling at idle, or hesitations during acceleration, it may be the idle air bypass valve. This valve helps the vehicle idle steady when the accelerator pedal is not pressed.

Problem Data
RepairPal Verified
Average mileage: 139,465 (40,000–275,000)
Engines affected: 3.0L V6, 3.0L V6 DOHC, 3.0L V6 SHO, 3.5L V6 Turbo, 3.8L V6
12 model years affected: 1990, 1994, 1997, 1998, more2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2007, 2014
62 people reported this problem
Comments
Viewing 1 - 20 of 21 comments
My Taurus want stay running unless I keep my foot on the gas. As soon as I take my foot off it dies out.
I've replaced this part twice allready
It runs great. For a day then boom
By the second day its back to
The same things engine shuts off
At idl . Some times. And has a very bad
Rough idle
The part goes bad n two. Days
I mean wtf. Is going on
This is getting very old very fast
While starting it, it starts with hesitation. And when stopped at lights it bogs out and while driving it, it feels like you have one foot on the gas pedal and one on the brake and your hitting them both at the same time. And it's starting to shift hard.
I had to replace the starter because it stalled me at the clinic. The oil was dripping down in the starter. It's hard to start my Taurus in the cold. While driving it feels like someone is rear ending me. The transmission bumps. When I turn my car off it has a faint clicking under the hood. I've never been sent anything for recalls before. My email address is johndrowshelly345@gmail.com
PVC Valve warn to the point of wide open at idle and acceleration. Look and see of it is close air off or it will effect IAB valve.
Car runs well for a couple of miles, then little to no acceleration. Want info before bringing it into shop.
engine is having trouble starting, almost sounds like it would have a bad battery(sputtering) but ive had it checked and battery is fine... also it seems like when taking off the engine stalls for a second then gets a sudden burst of speed once the gas pedal is applied
crappy idle no power on acceleration please call with advice 540.494.7937 Earl
My 2003 Ford Taurus ses was just idling and just started loosing power like it was going to die or something so I just held the brake and gave it a little accelerater so it would die then when I arrived home i let it idle and see if it would fldie but I kept it from doing it so in case it don't start again but idk what the issue is and it may as said above the idle air bypass valve..... Hopefully I can solve this problem quick as I attend high school and go to work....
Went to Memphis Tennessee ran fine then died in parking lot open hood and let cool..10in later started left hotel all night then in morning start up ran two hundred miles then died....making noise in engine put in gear died.......let set 30 min started got home 120 miles will start but dies when idled plus emission light on....
.....