QUESTIONS

Q: Brake Problems in my cavalier! help! on 1997 Chevrolet Cavalier

Rookie cbe0621eac06868b3efe0d8d1d3611e23c60d3114864ea2ec19a68cfbd3eebab
Hello, First let me say my brakes were working perfectly fine, until this past wednesday when my car died. I was driving on the highway, when reaching the exit ramp my 1997 Chevy Cavalier died on me. I tried to avoid hitting another vehicle by applying my brakes, I realized my power brakes were off also. I had to press the brake pedal all the way down to the floor before the car would stop. I left the car until saturday, until i could get a new battery.And after I changed it, I attempted to drive it home, I started the car and drove off, then I applied my brakes and heard a loud grinding noise. I pumped the brakes 2 or 3 times and drove away, after driving 10 minutes I attempted to brake again, the pedal goes all the way to the floor still but no grinding noise, just a faint squeak and it is very hard to stop the car. sorry i forgot to mention the brake light is on, not the abs light just the brake light.

p.s. i put break fluid in the car about 2-3 times in 1 1/2 months.

what could be the problem....little to no money....what needs to be done.
No car image 94a1663db56199c5353592009e34aaa51078a2469bed068bb8d6f0ba43accf97
Get a Repair Estimate
Guaranteed by certified locations nationwide. Learn more
RepairPal estimates are guaranteed at over 1,700 quality certified locations nationwide. Learn more
There is a leak in your brake system, and if the system was low on fluid that would cause the pedal to go to the floor. You may have a failing master cylinder, and the panic stop may have made it worse, but you'll need to have someone look at it to be sure.