Car Questions

Brake Problems in my cavalier! help!

(1997 Chevrolet Cavalier)
in Akron, OH on November 21, 2009
Hello, First let me say my brakes were working perfectly fine, until this past wednesday when my car died. I was driving on the highway, when reaching the exit ramp my 1997 Chevy Cavalier died on me. I tried to avoid hitting another vehicle by applying my brakes, I realized my power brakes were off also. I had to press the brake pedal all the way down to the floor before the car would stop. I left the car until saturday, until i could get a new battery.And after I changed it, I attempted to drive it home, I started the car and drove off, then I applied my brakes and heard a loud grinding noise. I pumped the brakes 2 or 3 times and drove away, after driving 10 minutes I attempted to brake again, the pedal goes all the way to the floor still but no grinding noise, just a faint squeak and it is very hard to stop the car. sorry i forgot to mention the brake light is on, not the abs light just the brake light.

p.s. i put break fluid in the car about 2-3 times in 1 1/2 months.

what could be the problem....little to no money....what needs to be done.
Displaying 1 answers & 0 comments
on November 23, 2009
There is a leak in your brake system, and if the system was low on fluid that would cause the pedal to go to the floor. You may have a failing master cylinder, and the panic stop may have made it worse, but you'll need to have someone look at it to be sure.

My clutch pedal is sticking to the floor! I can pump on it with my foot repeatedly to get it to spring back up but t...
Question: 1998 Chevy Cavalier / Hubby changed Batt. then everything went wrong. Dash lights=ABS,Brake,Air Bag,Anti...